Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 03:21 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Justifications has been used for millenia to spread hate against "others". The tactic is well honed and recognizable. Those justifications are especially resorted to when the facts support those being discriminated against.
That’s an awful fancy way of admitting that you’re exactly the kind of Canadian I’m talking about.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:46 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Because they could! Because their company closed down, moved off shore or a spouse died.

There are many reasons why people retire; some voluntarily - others not so much.

This tendency to categorize whole segments of your population while ignoring them as individuals is somewhat confusing when that 'rugged individuality' is lauded non-stop as universal.
That they have the CHOICE to do something as stupid as to retire without considering the fact that they'd lose their employer-provided/sponsored insurance IS the very definition of treating them as individuals. The US Fed Gov should do that FAR more often. Nothing wrong with people suffering the consequences of their own actions.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That they have the CHOICE to do something as stupid as to retire without considering the fact that they'd lose their employer-provided/sponsored insurance IS the very definition of treating them as individuals. The US Fed Gov should do that FAR more often. Nothing wrong with people suffering the consequences of their own actions.
Whoa; you chose to only address that one aspect of why "some" Americans retire early.

No answer for the ones whose jobs moved off shore while they were still in the fifties and no longer employable without major re-training.

Lastly; complaining about something, anything is an individual right is it not? I can't even count the number of Americans I know personally that complain with passion about the cost of gasoline. Doesn't stop them driving cars. I nor anyone else would ever think to confront them with that particular admonishment.

That's virtually the single biggest reasons why these threads get started by Americans - they're complaining about their healthcare costs and seeking information about other systems.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:11 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Justifications has been used for millenia to spread hate against "others". The tactic is well honed and recognizable. Those justifications are especially resorted to when the facts support those being discriminated against.
Why do you repeatedly come to a nation you have so much contempt for? Keep your trap shut at least out in public. Show some respect.

You don't see us flocking to Canada 6 months out of the year.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Why do you repeatedly come to a nation you have so much contempt for? Keep your trap shut at least out in public. Show some respect.

You don't see us flocking to Canada 6 months out of the year.
Oh brother! Shows how little you know about Canada/US tourism

Just one example of thousands upon thousands of Americans who've made Canada their second home for well over a century https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...oman-1.5967403

You cannot swing a cat in the Kawarthas without hitting an American owned cottage or boat.

Why do you repeatedly deflect with accusations of "hatred" or "contempt" for the U.S. due to arguments to and fro over universal healthcare on this stupid forum ? Then you go further by agreeing with another on here that Canadians when in the U.S. do nothing but publicly complain about the U.S. while visiting.

Reminder; a thread started by an American seeking information about universal healthcare devolved once again into the denigrating other country's systems with citizens of those countries attempting to correct fallacies, even being personally attacked like this post of yours.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:33 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh brother! Shows how little you know about Canada/US tourism

Just one example of thousands upon thousands of Americans who've made Canada their second home for well over a century https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...oman-1.5967403

You cannot swing a cat in the Kawarthas without hitting an American owned cottage or boat.

Why do you repeatedly deflect with accusations of "hatred" or "contempt" for the U.S. due to arguments to and fro over universal healthcare on this stupid forum ? Then you go further by agreeing with another on here that Canadians when in the U.S. do nothing but publicly complain about the U.S. while visiting.

Reminder; a thread started by an American seeking information about universal healthcare devolved once again into the denigrating other country's systems with citizens of those countries attempting to correct fallacies, even being personally attacked like this post of yours.
Reminder: The OP told me that I've been "manipulated" by Frank Luntz which is not only untrue it's just a plain stupid statement to make.

Oh, by the way, it's not hatred and/or contempt I accuse you of, it's that gigantic inferiority complex.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:40 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times
Quote:
Again, a MAJOR factor in WHY the US has higher health care costs than other countries is our MUCH more diverse population. The US has larger populations (by percentage) of the demographic groups with the highest obesity rates (Blacks and Hispanics) than other developed countries and therefore correspondingly higher health care costs per person due to those groups' higher rates of costly obesity-related illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, organ failure, etc.

It's the same reason why COVID mortality disproportionately impacted Blacks in the US at a higher rate: their higher obesity rate.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2AW1X0
Do you think the estimated (by physicians) 21% of all procedures being unnecessary contributes to that high cost. Or that the relationship with Insurers is working efficiently with regard to pricing?

Old 06-14-2021, 06:41 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,903,332 times
I’d like to thank our Canadian friends for proving the stereotype.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:42 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times
Quote:
Most people don't know how that happened. FDR, one of the US left-wing's greatest heroes, did that:

US employer-provided health care insurance resulted from FDR's Executive Order wage and salary freeze nearly 80 years ago. Employer's couldn't raise wages to attract and keep competent workers, so they began offering employment benefits like health insurance to circumvent FDR's Executive Order wage and salary freeze.

Ever since then, employer-provided health care insurance has been popular. It's a win/win for employers AND employees. Employers get the tax deduction for the cost as a business expense (part of the cost of labor), and it's a nontaxable form of compensation for employees. Suffice it to say... Employee-provided health care insurance will never be eradicated. Way too many businesses and employees are against doing so.

The Real Reason the US Has Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance - NY Times
I'm aware of that history, I was asking SanJuan why that link is a good thing today? And rather than tax efficiencies I was particularly interested in health outcomes as to why it is effective, or not.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Reminder: The OP told me that I've been "manipulated" by Frank Luntz which is not only untrue it's just a plain stupid statement to make.

Oh, by the way, it's not hatred and/or contempt I accuse you of, it's that gigantic inferiority complex.
When accusing others of "stupid statements"; do you even give a scintilla of consideration as to what constitutes an irony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies