Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 09:31 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Portions are out of hand, I agree with that. My nephew bought a large or fry from Checkers the other day and Man. They literally poured fries into a large drink cup.

The calories from the fries had to be twice as much as the actual sandwich he got. What's next, just pouring fries into a popcorn bucket for $2.99?

Culturally Bigger was always better concerning portions for decades and it is showing.
I agree, when I was young, portions were smaller and one of the recommendations to lose weight was put restaurant portions on your plate, lol! Not anymore. Now you can supersize fast food orders and restaurants load your plates. Buffets you see people loading two plates with a ton of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 09:32 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
So you have measured Ketones in urine then you should understand the issue how variable carb intake can between individuals in Ketosis. Some patients can take in as much as 150gm of Carbs and maintain Ketosis while others can sit at 50 gm of carbs and hardly have ketones in the urine with similar body types / builds.
Once someone enters ketosis, they can gradually increase their carb intake [within some limit] especially if they have an active lifestyle. However, if someone is not in ketosis it's almost always because they're not sticking to their diet.

I'm not a big fan of the KETO diet, I myself don't use it. But for some clients, it helps keep them honest. Unless I attach a camera to them, I have no clue what they're eating and how much.

Quote:
Also keep in mind if a person has difficulty with Ketone production then a Keto diet will cause that person to have brain fog and a feeling of hunger constantly as the brain NEEDS glucose to function, it will not work on fat. Poor keynote production is a sign that this person may actually require a different diet for proper brain function as again Glucose is needed and low to no ketones in a person taking in 50 gm carbs daily may serve as a sign of impaired anaerobic ATP production and glucose availability to the brain.
The brain also functions on ketones, and most people report severe brain fog within the first 2-3 days of the diet, however after they have increased energy and focus. And afterwards, they have less hunger, which is actually the secret to why KETO works. Less hunger means it's easier to adhere to the diet and achieve a calorie deficit.

I never heard of someone having issue creating ketones. For some, entering ketosis takes longer (for a week). When I tried the KETO diet, I entered ketosis within 24 hours. I guess such a person has a lot of liver issues.

Quote:
Why is this the case? Why can some bodies regulate that state better and allow for a higher ceiling before moving out of ketosis and back to aerobic ATP production?
Every body allocates excess calories differently, but in the end of the day, the law of physics cannot be violated.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed. If they're in a calorie deficit, they will lose mass, that's 100% law of physics. If they're not losing mass, they're not in a calorie deficit.

Some people respond to calorie surplus differently. People who are highly anabolic will convert access calories to muscle, organ, and burn it off in the form of heat, and jitteriness by increasing resting metabolic rate. People who are in a highly catabolic state will convert those access calories into fat.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:50 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Once someone enters ketosis, they can gradually increase their carb intake [within some limit] especially if they have an active lifestyle. However, if someone is not in ketosis it's almost always because they're not sticking to their diet.

I'm not a big fan of the KETO diet, I myself don't use it. But for some clients, it helps keep them honest. Unless I attach a camera to them, I have no clue what they're eating and how much.

The brain also functions on ketones, and most people report severe brain fog within the first 2-3 days of the diet, however after they have increased energy and focus. And afterwards, they have less hunger, which is actually the secret to why KETO works. Less hunger means it's easier to adhere to the diet and achieve a calorie deficit.

I never heard of someone having issue creating ketones. For some, entering ketosis takes longer (for a week). When I tried the KETO diet, I entered ketosis within 24 hours. I guess such a person has a lot of liver issues.

Every body allocates excess calories differently, but in the end of the day, the law of physics cannot be violated.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed. If they're in a calorie deficit, they will lose mass, that's 100% law of physics. If they're not losing mass, they're not in a calorie deficit.

Some people respond to calorie surplus differently. People who are highly anabolic will convert access calories to muscle, organ, and burn it off in the form of heat, and jitteriness by increasing resting metabolic rate. People who are in a highly catabolic state will convert those access calories into fat.
So wha your saying it it is Highly variable which is what I was saying. It's sort of like a Plummer trying to fix a leaky faucet in the dark without a flashlight. You have a bag full of tools and all the training but because you cannot see to understand why there is a leak you don't know which tool is the one you need.

You understand that different diets, different food types, and exercise types effect people differently. Until we have a understanding as to why we are just throwing ideas against the wall and hoping one works for the patient.

I instruct people to try different types of diets because there is no way I can tell them which one will work for them. And that gets people frustrated when I am suppose to have a better understanding than just, try it and see.

This is why counseling on weight loss is so difficult and many Docs do not do it, because we really don't have an answer outside of general concepts that people can already find on the internet and 1000's of self help books.

Also we don't get reimbursed for doing it so that is the other reason, insurance wants us to kick you to a Dietitian or nutritionist and my practice the referrals versus people that go is an extremely low ratio .

Most docs are now employees or group partners and making money by moving fast is the name of the game. The fast fooding of healthcare I guess.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
So wha your saying it it is Highly variable which is what I was saying. It's sort of like a Plummer trying to fix a leaky faucet in the dark without a flashlight. You have a bag full of tools and all the training but because you cannot see to understand why there is a leak you don't know which tool is the one you need.

You understand that different diets, different food types, and exercise types effect people differently. Until we have a understanding as to why we are just throwing ideas against the wall and hoping one works for the patient.

I instruct people to try different types of diets because there is no way I can tell them which one will work for them. And that gets people frustrated when I am suppose to have a better understanding than just, try it and see.

This is why counseling on weight loss is so difficult and many Docs do not do it, because we really don't have an answer outside of general concepts that people can already find on the internet and 1000's of self help books.

Also we don't get reimbursed for doing it so that is the other reason, insurance wants us to kick you to a Dietitian or nutritionist and my practice the referrals versus people that go is an extremely low ratio .

Most docs are now employees or group partners and making money by moving fast is the name of the game. The fast fooding of healthcare I guess.
Losing weight is not the hard part. I can guarantee anyone fat loss if they just stick to the diet. I will tweak that diet every 4 weeks, to deal with the client's response and adjustment.

What is much more variable is gaining muscle.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:07 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:

I tried the Keto thing several years ago. Holy hell...that Keto fog was crazy. Once through that things got better, much better. I just struggled with the carb thing....it is like virtually everything as carbs. I dropped 25 but ended up putting that plus some back on.

I had to make some changes this year though...end of Feb. I started getting serious with a lifestyle change. As of today, I'm down 30lbs (actually plateaued here for the last 4 days). I just watched my portions, cut carbs as much as I can, cut down on alcohol, and walk 5 miles a day. Still have another 35-40 to go.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I tried the Keto thing several years ago. Holy hell...that Keto fog was crazy. Once through that things got better, much better. I just struggled with the carb thing....it is like virtually everything as carbs. I dropped 25 but ended up putting that plus some back on.

I had to make some changes this year though...end of Feb. I started getting serious with a lifestyle change. As of today, I'm down 30lbs (actually plateaued here for the last 4 days). I just watched my portions, cut carbs as much as I can, cut down on alcohol, and walk 5 miles a day. Still have another 35-40 to go.
I think in many ways KETO is more restrictive than being a Vegan. I remember while kayaking, and stopped at the store where I rented the kayak to pick up some snacks, that the only thing I could buy was a diet coke and/or water. If I was a Vegan, I'd have many more options.

I tried KETO because a friend whose a mountaineer (climbs 8000m peeks) swore by it. Told me it kept his energy consistent, even at high altitudes, and felt warmer. This surprised me since it's understood digesting meat requires more O2. However for me, I felt my weight lifting suffered (I was 80-90% of myself) and that plus gaining muscle is hard on KETO. The sugar you consume is used to make muscle if you're in the right hormonal state. But, I didn't have a hard time entering Ketosis. My "KETO flu" was 1day.

Also, I know people on KETO who actually gained weight because they ended up consuming thousands of calories in cheese. I often tell people when they begin this diet, not to snack on cheese at all. It's high in calories. So KETO is no magic bullet, it relies on a calorie deficit, like everything else. And since it's so rigid and you're consuming a lot of inflammatory foods (eg red meat) it's not sustainable long term.

But the KETO diet is great for maintaining muscle mass when on a severe calorie restriction. Body builders go through periods of bulking up (a lot of carbs) and then losing the fat on KETO regimens.

If you're plateauing it's because your body has adjusted to your calorie deficit by reducing it's resting metabolic rate. All calorie deficits means a reduction in metabolism, unless paired with more physical activity. And it means you will gain the weight back easily if you relax your diet. You need to keep increasing physical activity and slowly re-introducing calories and monitoring your weight weekly in the process.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:55 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
No self control. If they did, they wouldn't be fat. But just because they are fat doesn't mean that everyone else gets a pass. Jogging in the rain, gotta get that brain dope, no different than a drug addict waiting for the next fix. Smokers, drinkers, vapers, fitness addicts. Everyone has a vice
My you are so tolerant/sarcasm. I've known people who are overweight whose problems began with parents who overfed them as kids, forcing them to finish everything on their plates even though they were full. Plus the food they were given wasn't exactly considered to be healthy eating. Once someone gets set on that path, they, more often than not, end up struggling with weight all their lives.

You also assume that overweight people are constantly stuffing their faces. Yes, there are those who do that. I've heard of very heavy people who say every time they see a fast food restaurant, they just have to stop in for food. I've also seen overweight people who have had bad accidents that have kept them bedridden, thus the weight gain. For example, I knew a young man who was thin. Both his parents were extremely overweight. He went into a boot camp-like program for job training and got seriously injured, ending up laid up for several months. After than, when I saw him, he had gained a lot of weight.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to this issue.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:56 PM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
I think in many ways KETO is more restrictive than being a Vegan. I remember while kayaking, and stopped at the store where I rented the kayak to pick up some snacks, that the only thing I could buy was a diet coke and/or water. If I was a Vegan, I'd have many more options.

I tried KETO because a friend whose a mountaineer (climbs 8000m peeks) swore by it. Told me it kept his energy consistent, even at high altitudes, and felt warmer. This surprised me since it's understood digesting meat requires more O2. However for me, I felt my weight lifting suffered (I was 80-90% of myself) and that plus gaining muscle is hard on KETO. The sugar you consume is used to make muscle if you're in the right hormonal state. But, I didn't have a hard time entering Ketosis. My "KETO flu" was 1day.

Also, I know people on KETO who actually gained weight because they ended up consuming thousands of calories in cheese. I often tell people when they begin this diet, not to snack on cheese at all. It's high in calories. So KETO is no magic bullet, it relies on a calorie deficit, like everything else. And since it's so rigid and you're consuming a lot of inflammatory foods (eg red meat) it's not sustainable long term.

But the KETO diet is great for maintaining muscle mass when on a severe calorie restriction. Body builders go through periods of bulking up (a lot of carbs) and then losing the fat on KETO regimens.

If you're plateauing it's because your body has adjusted to your calorie deficit by reducing it's resting metabolic rate. All calorie deficits means a reduction in metabolism, unless paired with more physical activity. And it means you will gain the weight back easily if you relax your diet. You need to keep increasing physical activity and slowly re-introducing calories and monitoring your weight weekly in the process.
I figured either more activity or less calories. I ramped up my walk to 10 miles Monday morning, but I won't have the time to do that every day. It's time to get my bike out and start riding that. I despise the gym, and working out so it's walking or biking for me. I figure another 20lbs off and I'll try and start running.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:58 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
No self control. If they did, they wouldn't be fat. But just because they are fat doesn't mean that everyone else gets a pass. Jogging in the rain, gotta get that brain dope, no different than a drug addict waiting for the next fix. Smokers, drinkers, vapers, fitness addicts. Everyone has a vice
I've been jogging now for probably close to thirty years. I've never had this "brain dope" or high that you allude to. The only thing I've ever gotten from jogging is tired.

So why do I do it, you ask? Because I don't want to be fat.

And because it is the only exercise that I've ever tried (besides biking and hiking) that doesn't bore the hell out of me. I know many people say just the opposite--that jogging and running bores them. Not me. And the reason is that it is the only exercise that frees my mind to go anywhere it wants to go during the activity. I can think about anything I want. I can study. I can memorize things. Practice foreign languages. Develop ideas for a story or a painting or a drawing. Whatever. Half the time I'm jogging, I've completely forgotten that I even am jogging. And, no, it's not some sort of a "high." It simply requires no concentration on the jogging itself as other sports do--I'm on autopilot.

As for fat people... that is their business. I won't lie and say I don't sometimes "judge" people who are overweight. But it's my thought only. I can say "holy cow!" in my head and not belittle or make snarky comments. It's none of my business. Their life, not mine. No different that me seeing a woman with a hairstyle that I don't like. So what? It's none of my business. I can dislike something without being a jerk about it.

Quote:
What is much more variable is gaining muscle.
I've never understood this "gaining muscle" thing, unless your goal is to be a weightlifter, logger, or some other profession that requires a lot of physical strength. Other than that, why would I want to "gain muscle"? My profession doesn't require physical strength and my activities don't require it either. In fact, for the activities I actually do, it's more advantageous to stay as light as possible. It's cheaper as well. I don't have to eat nearly as much as a muscleman type does.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-02-2021 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-02-2021, 01:11 PM

21,928 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Physicians don't discuss lifestyle issues generally. It's pretty amazing because most chronic disease is lifestyle related. I don't think "shaming" achieves anything, can make someone worse. Just facts and done w/ compassion. Everyone struggles in some way.
At my last physical, my doctor discussed all of that with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies