Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 05:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I always thought, just hand 'em a gun at the boarder and send them back --- but I think that is somehow illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If we had a covert operation to put a military dictatorship in power then we can also have a covert operation to put a democratically elected leader in power.

The US has destroyed many third world countries by backing dictatorships.
And then we send them money every year.
And for what reason...I really have no clue.
I think a person could spend their lifetime following the money and in the end never really determine, exactly what was going on with it --- it's not just government money, but businesses, as well. (wide lens project documentary on a u.s. oil company, within one of those third world countries)
Quote:
The US has destroyed many third world countries by backing dictatorships.
Immigration the by product? Point being, until the conditions that create it are dealt with, it is a forever thing for the u.s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 06:03 PM

43,096 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
I think a person could spend their lifetime following the money and in the end never really determine, exactly what was going on with it --- it's not just government money, but businesses, as well. (wide lens project documentary on a u.s. oil company, within one of those third world countries)

Immigration the by product? Point being, until the conditions that create it are dealt with, it is a forever thing for the u.s.
In the case of Guatemala coup it was a US based fruit company that urged the USG to overthrow the government because the President of Guatemala instituted a minimum wage. Truman agreed but his plan failed. Eisenhower succeeded though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_G...coup_d%27état

Old 06-07-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:

The countries sink into third world hellholes under military dictatorship.
Look at the ME countries we helped overthrow, look at Haiti, look at Central and South America.

Take a good look at the monthly CBP reports and you will see people from all those countries we helped overthrow coming here. The CBP report does break down which country these people are coming from.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:08 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Commie Harris needs to go back to walking the streets again and sleeping with more Willies to get her way to the top...

Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
She didn't need to fly over there to try and find the source of the border crisis, the source is right in the White house and in her mirror.

And she says "climate change" is a explanation for a migrant surge lol, so the scientists were wrong or purposely dismissed the lab theory for COVID because many are involved or addicted to funding, and I suppose the left expect us to "follow the science" for climate change also.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:12 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
No. I thought he didn't want immigrants except if they were highly skilled and even then not so much. That's it. I thought trump was a racist based on a whole lot of stuff that he said. But maybe he wasn't. He did not want immigrants taking resources away from Americans.
Biden will accept immigrants who are seeking asylum or are entering for some other legal reason. It is a different philosophy on immigration.
I know everyone says this but I don't think I am a racist.
Well, why would we want foreigners migrating here that are unskilled, poor and uneducated? It's smart immigration policy to deny them entry as they end up being a burden to our society. So how was Trump wrong or racist about that? We certainly don't need skilled or unskilled immigrants coming here and taking jobs from Americans either.

Trump welcomed bonified legitimate asylum seekers also he just instead made them wait in Mexico until it could be determined. How was that a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2021, 06:16 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
How does one take a poor part of the u.s and make it better, economically?

To be clear, I don't have a solution --- that's above my strategies 101 class. But my first though is investors --- but that's where the opposition says, no --- we need u.s. companies to build things here --- economic expansion? imo, that is in part, how we got out of the Great Depression.
Why don't their own rich, elite citizens invest in their own countries? Why should we have to do it? Even outsourcing our jobs hasn't made a difference in those countries. What are we the world's babysitters and saviors?

Maybe if we stopped sending billions to those countries we could invest in helping our own poor and needy instead.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:34 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:

Quote:
In the case of Guatemala coup it was a US based fruit company that urged the USG to overthrow the government because the President of Guatemala instituted a minimum wage. Truman agreed but his plan failed. Eisenhower succeeded though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_G...coup_d%27état
Quote:
The countries sink into third world hellholes under military dictatorship.
Look at the ME countries we helped overthrow, look at Haiti, look at Central and South America.

Take a good look at the monthly CBP reports and you will see people from all those countries we helped overthrow coming here. The CBP report does break down which country these people are coming from.
Yes, I understand all of that and also, that one can go all the way back to the founding documents of this country and find where administration after administration had the hands in foreign deals and whatnot.

I joined a volunteer program --- the government one. It didn't go very well for me. When visiting with my sister and going into details of what went wrong with it for me, her response was --- the project isn't a bad idea, unfortunately the people running it leave a little bit to be desired.

So when we look at the reasons (crime, corruption) people are fleeing their countries, how can we fix their reasons, if we can't fix home.

u.s. makes thing worse --- history shows us that. People say Trump fixed it --- Trump made deals, no new laws, no new anything; money continued to change hands.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well, why would we want foreigners migrating here that are unskilled, poor and uneducated? It's smart immigration policy to deny them entry as they end up being a burden to our society. So how was Trump wrong or racist about that? We certainly don't need skilled or unskilled immigrants coming here and taking jobs from Americans either.

Trump welcomed bonified legitimate asylum seekers also he just instead made them wait in Mexico until it could be determined. How was that a bad thing?
So only the elite need apply?
Gee that's a great criteria.

Fwiw, America (USA) has filtered in more medical interns from middle east and Asian countries as the discipline they exert is commendable to that field of study.

I find we are the melting pot for a reason. The skills of a boat maker, the agriculture of south American ..
People contribute in different ways.

I've more respect for this administration on international diplomacy. Hint: diplomacy is not the shoot your mouth off style nor need it ever be. Stoic and regardful of difference. Something not seen for four years.

Old 06-07-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, I understand all of that and also, that one can go all the way back to the founding documents of this country and find where administration after administration had the hands in foreign deals and whatnot.

I joined a volunteer program --- the government one. It didn't go very well for me. When visiting with my sister and going into details of what went wrong with it for me, her response was --- the project isn't a bad idea, unfortunately the people running it leave a little bit to be desired.

So when we look at the reasons (crime, corruption) people are fleeing their countries, how can we fix their reasons, if we can't fix home.

u.s. makes thing worse --- history shows us that. People say Trump fixed it --- Trump made deals, no new laws, no new anything; money continued to change hands.
He did make his deals. He also started putting up a wall and he made the illegals wait in Mexico.
He tried in spite of Congress doing everything they could to block him.

Honestly I don't think we can stem or eliminate the flow.
What we can do though is eliminate all welfare benefits. Everyone needs to earn their right to live here and pay their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies