Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So I am still not back to work yet but the building I work in is requiring masks if you haven't been vaccinated and proof of vaccination to go mask-less.

My boss knows I am not vaccinated and I have no proof of vaccination.

On the one hand, I had thought they might not let me in at all without proof of vaccination and I can come in as long as I wear a mask. But this makes me wonder how long this will go on.

Because I will have to wear a mask... everyone will know I am *one of those people* and my career prospects, as poor as the are normally, will be done for.

I had thought I was going to get away without being vaccinated but.. guess not.
I would be proud to be known as one of the smart people - one of the people that can and do think for themselves. And the last thing I would care about is my career prospects with a company that required mindless conformity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 07:24 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
When you are endangering the lives of other people in public, it is their business!
How is a healthy noninfected person endangering someone's life? You can't spread a disease you don't have. And of everyone else is vaccinated, then they are protected. Unless you don't believe the vaccine is really 95% effective, and if infected keeps them from getting severe symptoms.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:26 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I get it, but it's still an invasion of privacy into a person's medical history. Sure, you don't have to provide your medical history, but you will be treated as a second class citizen until you do. So what if you had the virus, and are now immune? Do you have to prove it too, as a function for employment?

Guess we can demand the same for the flu shot, prove that you got your shot, or be forced to wear a mask, or be fired if you don't. We can demand this for any other disease you can think of, like hepatitis for example.
This is no different from schools requiring kids to get the MMR vaccine to be enrolled. And if you have kids then you know you had to show proof.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:28 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This is no different from schools requiring kids to get the MMR vaccine to be enrolled. And if you have kids then you know you had to show proof.
Until recently you could just check a box saying you had a philosophical or religious objection. No questions asked. It was never a requirement, just a strong recommendation.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:42 PM

1,262 posts, read 561,253 times
The company may actually have an easier path to dump you if the regulations are those of the property they are leasing. Simple insubordination and jeopardizing their contract is easier to prove and won't have anything to do with mask or vaccine science.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:43 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Until recently you could just check a box saying you had a philosophical or religious objection. No questions asked. It was never a requirement, just a strong recommendation.
It depends on the state I guess. But there should never be a religious exemption. One of my husbands employees told him she wouldn't get the vaccine until she talked to Jesus. I don't think this counts as a religious objection.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:48 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
So I am still not back to work yet but the building I work in is requiring masks if you haven't been vaccinated and proof of vaccination to go mask-less.

On the one hand, I had thought they might not let me in at all without proof of vaccination and I can come in as long as I wear a mask. But this makes me wonder how long this will go on.

Because I will have to wear a mask... everyone will know I am *one of those people* and my career prospects, as poor as the are normally, will be done for.

You could just get the vaccine but like you said you are one of those people.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:48 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
not getting the vaccine tells so much more about you than the fear of contracting Covid. You're damaged goods.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
When every single one of them provide proof of doing things that are in MY best interest - against theirs... maybe I will consider it.
Your co-workers getting vaccinated is in your best interest. Your getting vaccinated is in theirs. What part of this equation is so hard to comprehend?

Quote:
Maybe it will get me out of work as no one will want me to cover with them?
Golly, sounds like you really love your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
An employer, a company, has no rights, no freedoms, it is not a person, it is merely a legal entity.
Uh, no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor..._United_States

Old 06-03-2021, 08:51 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Quote:

You are getting away with not being vaccinated, you have the choice, so wear a mask. Don't you want to be protected from the vaccinated if they are among the 5% who didn't get immunity from the vaccine, or if they are breakthrough cases. Even if they pass on a mild case to you, you might suffer from long covid symptoms to your heart and lungs. In my state the mask mandate was lifted indoors if you are vaccinated, but everyone had masks on in the three stores I went to yesterday and all the workers had them on. Don't be surprised if the vaccinated at your job will be wearing them too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies