Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 12:37 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Because they no longer count covid breakthrough cases unless they are hospitalized or die. Per the cdc
Nope.

Explanation here:

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...considered-br/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 04:26 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Yes you are naturally immune. Stay maskless and don’t get vaccinated and keep shaking hands. I’m sure you have the immunity of Superman and will never get sick of anything because you avoid sugar and carbs which are the devil.
It is a fact that 40% to 60% of the population is naturally immune due to getting other covid viruses... but you don't want to hear that.

I am starting to think some of my co workers are being disingenuous about their fears. There has been a lot of push back to the "vaccinated not vaccinated" plan and from what I am hearing it is a ploy to allow them all to stay home.

Many vaccinated people do not want to come back because they are "afraid." But when you ask why you can't get an answer out of them. They are all people who have strong reasons to want to stay home, such as kids, parent etc. Or have stated in the past they wanted to. Many of the bosses -- well over 80 -- are happy to come back so I can't see the excuse from people under 50 standing up.

One of my coworkers has decided to quit I hear - she says for other reasons but... seems suspicious now. And frankly my job is the kind of job you don't quit.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:51 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,081 times
I feel for you Arya. That's a tough position to be in. I'm assuming you don't work for a retail establishment? With that said, what will be your company's policy for people that have to enter your building for say, a meeting with someone? Do they also have to show proof of being vaccinated? Or do they simply have to wear masks?

Old 06-05-2021, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I feel for you Arya. That's a tough position to be in. I'm assuming you don't work for a retail establishment? With that said, what will be your company's policy for people that have to enter your building for say, a meeting with someone? Do they also have to show proof of being vaccinated? Or do they simply have to wear masks?
Visitors only have to wear masks if they cannot provide proof of vaccination.

I don't work in retail.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:06 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Visitors only have to wear masks if they cannot provide proof of vaccination.

I don't work in retail.
I just re-thought what I was about to ask you but forgot that you still don't have to be vaccinated. You just have to wear the scarlet letter and possibly be ostracized by people that want to control you.

I'm just extremely thankful that I'll never be in the position you are in as I work as an independent contractor. I provide full disclosure on the fact that I have not been vaccinated. I am even willing to put in some protocols. But if a person is just not comfortable being with someone that hasn't gotten their shots, that's their prerogative and we just part ways. Technically, I could retire right now so the financial side isn't something that I'm impacted by.

I'm in Texas and we already have a law in place against government agencies and any business receiving subsidies from the government asking for any kind of proof of vaccination. Personally, I would love to see some of the retail establishments (i.e. stores and restaurants) try to put such a policy in place. I suspect any of their competitors would also love it as that business would be put under very quickly. If I owned a sign shop and someone came in asking me to make a sign saying "must have vaccine passport to enter", I would ask them if they would also like me to make a going out of business sign for them that they can put right next to it, lol.

Last edited by dicipher; 06-05-2021 at 05:23 AM..

Old 06-05-2021, 06:54 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Quote:
It is a fact that 40% to 60% of the population is naturally immune due to getting other covid viruses... but you don't want to hear that.

I am starting to think some of my co workers are being disingenuous about their fears. There has been a lot of push back to the "vaccinated not vaccinated" plan and from what I am hearing it is a ploy to allow them all to stay home.

Many vaccinated people do not want to come back because they are "afraid." But when you ask why you can't get an answer out of them. They are all people who have strong reasons to want to stay home, such as kids, parent etc. Or have stated in the past they wanted to. Many of the bosses -- well over 80 -- are happy to come back so I can't see the excuse from people under 50 standing up.

One of my coworkers has decided to quit I hear - she says for other reasons but... seems suspicious now. And frankly my job is the kind of job you don't quit.
The vaccinated (mostly seniors) I know are still afraid to go shopping without masks, return to work, use the subway, etc, they know the vaccine isn't 100% effective. My vaccinated aunt had a post retirement job she loved as an admin asst. in a public school, being afraid of covid, she quit.

The news is reporting the NY Yankee baseball coach Nevins, who got covid after being vaccinated, is returning to work on Monday. He was sicker than the public knew, developed a staph infection, and still needs an IV line in his arm before going on the field. Nevins said the vaccine helped by keeping covid out of his lungs.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:06 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:

I think some of the employer mandates for vaccines are just to get people back to the office. Then if someone expresses fears they don't feel safe, it will be met with "Well, everyone is vaccinated". They said the same thing last year when masks were finally advised, "You'll be fine, just wear your mask".

Wanting to continue WFM is a big deal for employees now. There are several threads on it on the employment board. Many employees are upset over being called back especially if their jobs "can" be done at home. I agree; why slog back to an office every day just to sit in the cube farm for 8 hours to do the exact same job on a computer you can do remotely.

Many employers are even refusing hybrid setups and are demanding 5 days in person. Even big companies like Google and Amazon who initially promised forever work from home arrangements are reneging on that.

Not sure if your office is requiring 100% in office attendance, but it seems like those are also the ones likely to require a vaccine.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Not sure if your office is requiring 100% in office attendance, but it seems like those are also the ones likely to require a vaccine.
We have been told no. Not "full time" until September and they are working on telework policies - but I think their ideas are never going to work. My job absolutely sometimes - must -- be done in person. They are looking at people covering for you when you are teleworking and teleworking would only be allowed on Mondays or Fridays as Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays are our busy time.

I can just see people losing their minds if I am forced to "cover" for a teleworker and I am not vaccinated.

I can't see the plan they have working.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:14 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
We have been told no. Not "full time" until September and they are working on telework policies - but I think their ideas are never going to work. My job absolutely sometimes - must -- be done in person. They are looking at people covering for you when you are teleworking and teleworking would only be allowed on Mondays or Fridays as Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays are our busy time.

I can just see people losing their minds if I am forced to "cover" for a teleworker and I am not vaccinated.

I can't see the plan they have working.
Since everyone's neuroticism is on full display now, two can play that game.

Sounds like you have been at your job for a long time so you surely have standing. I wouldn't back down to others "losing their mind". Supervisors are just going by the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" mantra.

Though in the minority, enough people in my office must have thrown a fit about vaccine mandates as they are not required. Since HR set up the vaccine appts for staff, it was a real concern for a while. Also, a good point we brought up is we meet with the public at times. Not many people, but it's daily. Since they aren't required to be vaccinated, why should we be? Any fear of "risk" is the same. Not sure if that helps your situation but (for now) it worked for us.

Old 06-05-2021, 10:32 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Before this, they never needed, just strongly recommended. You could always get a philosophical exemption. I used that for the MMR vaccine over 10 years ago enrolling my kids in school.

I bet I couldn't do that now.
And the only reason your kids are safe from measles, mumps and rubella is because all of their classmates were vaccinated. Their parents looked out for their own kids and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies