Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 01:01 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If you are healthy and under thirty years old, why not get COVID, it's probably less risky than getting the mRNA vaccines
What does the data show regarding serious side effects/death for your age and weight for getting the vaccine vs getting covid. There's data out there.

Someone in their 20s has 6x hospitalization rate and 10x death rate than someone between age 5-17
Someone in their 30s has 10x hospitalization rate and 45x death rate than someone between age 5-17
Someone in their 40s has 15x hospitalization rate and 130x death rate than someone between age 5-17

There's this former guy...

https://www.1011now.com/2020/07/12/i...ovid-19-party/

‘I think I made a mistake’: Young man from Texas dies after attending COVID-19 party

a 30-year-old man recently died at the hospital after attending one of these parties.
‘You know, I think I made a mistake.’ And this young man went to a COVID party,” she said. “He thought he was young and invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease.”

Below link shows 3 young healthy people that didn't think Covid would impact them either.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wrecked-li...ry?id=74148061

Last edited by Variable; 06-03-2021 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 01:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
To the OP:

Why shouldn’t your employer have the freedom to force you to get vaccinated or wear a mask?

Are you against Freedom?
An employer, a company, has no rights, no freedoms, it is not a person, it is merely a legal entity.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
There are many studies which say masks help. They are not the ONLY answer. Using common sense, anything that covers the nose and mouth is going to impeded the spread of everything coming out of the nose and mouth. The prudent course of action for companies and public buildings is to require proof of vaccination or masks. That is only way to protect people who cannot be vaccinated or who do not generate a strong immune response.
Yes.

One thing I learned ( never thought about before) during this pandemic is that standing in front of another person just talking means we are inhaling each others exhales. That is just plain yuk, even without virus particles in the air. I don't think I will ever stand so close to other people again.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 2,705,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
What does the data show regarding serious side effects/death for your age and weight for getting the vaccine vs getting covid. There's data out there.

Someone in their 20s has 6x hospitalization rate and 10x death rate than someone between age 5-17
Someone in their 30s has 10x hospitalization rate and 45x death rate than someone between age 5-17
Someone in their 40s has 15x hospitalization rate and 130x death rate than someone between age 5-17

‘I think I made a mistake’: Young man from Texas dies after attending COVID-19 party

a 30-year-old man recently died at the hospital after attending one of these parties.
‘You know, I think I made a mistake.’ And this young man went to a COVID party,” she said. “He thought he was young and invincible and wouldn’t get affected by the disease.”

Below link shows 3 young healthy people that didn't think Covid would impact them either.
Numbers such as those "x times more likely" have one purpose...to create fear. This sort of sounds like my spouse talking about a sale..."Hey we can get 10 for the price of 1", my response "Okay what does 1 cost?". With no context, they could throw out just about any number. Using the reference group of a 5-17 year old I thought was quite an interesting approach.

If you look at those numbers from the CDC the only thing it really says is that the older you get the more likely you are to have complications if you get sick. But that isn't just COVID, that applies to just about any sickness from the common cold to pneumonia...Shocking.

Those multipliers don't change the fact that for these same age groups listed the survivability is well over 99%.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So I am still not back to work yet but the building I work in is requiring masks if you haven't been vaccinated and proof of vaccination to go mask-less.

My boss knows I am not vaccinated and I have no proof of vaccination.

On the one hand, I had thought they might not let me in at all without proof of vaccination and I can come in as long as I wear a mask. But this makes me wonder how long this will go on.

Because I will have to wear a mask... everyone will know I am *one of those people* and my career prospects, as poor as the are normally, will be done for.

I had thought I was going to get away without being vaccinated but.. guess not.
You are one of those people, a danger to everyone around you. Get vaccinated

Old 06-03-2021, 06:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post

"time" what number?

10x of 0.000000000001?

This is what they do with these studies, when they say something like "consuming bacon increases your risk of getting X cancer by 10%", but the details show a person's risk is something like 0.025%.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:52 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
They are merely saying if you don't want to willingly provide your personal health records for proof then you will need to wear a mask.
I get it, but it's still an invasion of privacy into a person's medical history. Sure, you don't have to provide your medical history, but you will be treated as a second class citizen until you do. So what if you had the virus, and are now immune? Do you have to prove it too, as a function for employment?

Guess we can demand the same for the flu shot, prove that you got your shot, or be forced to wear a mask, or be fired if you don't. We can demand this for any other disease you can think of, like hepatitis for example.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
"time" what number?

10x of 0.000000000001?

This is what they do with these studies, when they say something like "consuming bacon increases your risk of getting X cancer by 10%", but the details show a person's risk is something like 0.025%.
Your risk for a type of cancer, due to your family's history might be 0.025%, mine might be 0.001%, so that 10% chance stuff is very arbitrary and unscientific.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:58 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I get it, but it's still an invasion of privacy into a person's medical history. Sure, you don't have to provide your medical history, but you will be treated as a second class citizen until you do. So what if you had the virus, and are now immune? Do you have to prove it too, as a function for employment?

Guess we can demand the same for the flu shot, prove that you got your shot, or be forced to wear a mask, or be fired if you don't. We can demand this for any other disease you can think of, like hepatitis for example.
Not a good example. A person can't pass hepatitis to another person by breathing on them. Infectious diseases affect not just you but also affects other people.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Not a good example. A person can't pass hepatitis to another person by breathing on them. Infectious diseases affect not just you but also affects other people.
What does breathing on a person have to do with hepatitis? People can be infected with hepatitis thru other ways, and unless you are vaccinated against it, you could contract it and there are numerous ways in which you can infect other people. Breathing on them is not one, unless you sneeze or cough onto them, and of course thru blood or fecal matter, etc... but whatever, you are just trying to divert, and go down a rabbit hole so as not to recognize the point I was making.

Go to a third world country like India, and you can contract hepatitis and not have engaged in sex, or knowingly exchanged blood, or bodily fluids or ate fecal matter. etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies