Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 09:41 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I agree completely. Except I will never EVER take the vaccine.

And I’m surprised you’re allowed to say what you said. Let’s see if this thread gets banned by the overlords
I don't think I said anything to controversial. The vaccine is "experimental" and was rolled out much more quickly than any vaccine before. And it is absolutely true that without the years of testing generally associated with a vaccine like this, we have no way to truly know if there will be unforeseen consequences down the road. I don't think I said anything to far outside of the realm of reality, so I think the thread should be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 10:40 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I find it odd that so many people are in such a hurry to be guinea pigs. The fact is this vaccine was granted "emergency use authorization" and has not been put through the years of testing common to most vaccines in use today. The bottom line is, we do not know what effects this vaccine could have for us years down the road. That is simply the truth. We can't know, because this vaccine has not been thoroughly tested. It was rushed into distribution faster than any vaccine in history, and personally I'd rather wait a while and see how things go after a few more years.

However, for all those who wish to run out and take this vaccine right now, more power to you. I truly hope it works as expected and that there are no unforeseen side effects down the road. But I also believe it is natural to look at this vaccine with a certain amount of uncertainty, and just as natural for some to wish to wait until more is known about the lasting effects of this vaccine. It is not a conspiracy theory or "crazy talk" to suggest that there is a chance for this vaccine to have negative effects down the road. It would certainly not be the first time something we thought was going to help us ended up causing us more pain in the end. I mean think about it. Not a day goes by that I don't see a new lawsuit being brought against a pharmaceutical company because one of their cures has caused more harm than good. Bottom line, people should have a choice what they put into their body. And they should not feel they are being pressured or coerced into taking an experimental vaccine if they wish to wait a while in order to feel better about putting this vaccine into their body. These "incentives" are nothing more than ridiculous bribes, and if you are actually won over by something like this then I'd say you probably intended to get the vaccine anyway.

Personally, I do not plan to get vaccinated for Covid 19 just yet. As an "essential worker" two times over, I have been in the thick of this pandemic for the duration, and have suffered no ill effects despite being in and around the public on a daily basis the entire time. Honestly, I believe me and my business partners actually possibly had this virus way back when it first started being mentioned in the news. I actually started a thread a while back about this possibility. We had all the symptoms before we even knew what the symptoms were. So it could very well be I've done so well throughout the pandemic because I actually was one of the first to get it. I have no real way to know. Either way, I'm in no hurry to rush out and get vaccinated for Covid 19. I may, in the future, get this vaccine after some time has passed. But I'm simply not going to run out and allow an experimental "wonder serum" to be injected into my body at this time.

PS. Just to get ahead of the curve here, let me simply say that
All of the same testing that previous vaccines were put through was done for the coronavirus vaccines: animal, phase 1, phase 2, phase 3. Preliminary research had been done over about fifteen to twenty years and the technology for the mRNA nanoparticles was already being used in other vaccines that were in human trials.

In the past animal studies would be done first. If those confirmed safety and preliminary evidence of efficacy, a small phase 1 study in humans would be done next. For the coronavirus vaccines, the animal and Phase 1 studies were done side by side. That means the volunteers in the phase 1 studies participated without benefit of the results of the animal studies. We should commend them for their courage. Next, the phase 2 and 3 trials were combined into one much larger than average study. Finally, production of vaccine was begun at the same time the trials were started.

All of that was made possible because of the amount of money thrown into the effort. Previously, each step in the process would await funding until the previous step had been concluded and vaccine would not be produced until after the FDA approved it. Money allowed the vaccine makers to take the financial risk that millions of doses of vaccine would need to be destroyed if the vaccine failed to be safe and effective.

If anything, what the coronavirus vaccine experience tells us is that the development of previous vaccines could have taken less time than was actually spent - if enough money was available.

Vaccines do not take years to produce adverse effects. If they happen it is within about two months. If they are rare they do not show up until a lot of people have taken them. Now that millions have done so, what is going to occur will make itself known. That is what happened with blood clots and is the reason myocarditis is being investigated. We are already far enough "down the road."

https://www.chop.edu/news/long-term-...vid-19-vaccine

Anyone is free to reject any incentives offered to them. If those who accept them were on the fence, why does that bother you?

Old 06-02-2021, 10:44 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
But you're ok with non earned Government hand outs for everything else for the groups you support like Blacks.

Seems hypocritical.
What in the world are you even saying? The above doesn’t make sense. There are no “handouts” given to Black people that other people do not receive as well. But people like you just want handouts for yourselves alone.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:46 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I don't think I said anything to controversial. The vaccine is "experimental" and was rolled out much more quickly than any vaccine before. And it is absolutely true that without the years of testing generally associated with a vaccine like this, we have no way to truly know if there will be unforeseen consequences down the road. I don't think I said anything to far outside of the realm of reality, so I think the thread should be safe.
I hope so.

People don’t care about your facts and will say “CNN says it’s safe and ‘it’s approved’ so stop your conspiracy theories “

Old 06-02-2021, 11:25 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
No incentives necessary for me to protect my health and prevent infection/death of others. However, everybody has their price and incentives will ultimately increase the vaccination rate.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
After listening to Alex Jones's hysterical and highly emotional rantings against taking the vaccines, I'm not surprised some gullible people would need a $1 million dollars before taking a covid vaccine.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:27 AM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I hope so.

People don’t care about your facts and will say “CNN says it’s safe and ‘it’s approved’ so stop your conspiracy theories “
So your main issue is that we should have years more of testing without addressing the problem with the Phase 3 trials from all the drug companies, you just want to wait a few years to see if there are ill effects.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:29 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So your main issue is that we should have years more of testing without addressing the problem with the Phase 3 trials from all the drug companies, you just want to wait a few years to see if there are ill effects.
We're dependent on government regulating bodies to report side effects, and when they're in the tank to get us mass vaccinated, we cannot trust them to report accurately.

Wait 1-2 years, when vaccine anything that breathes mania disappears, we will have an honest disclosure of side effects.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:47 AM

1,706 posts, read 635,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Illinois is funding get a vaccine and get a free beer.
Encourage alcoholism.
I wish I had received a beer when I got my shots. My state sucks.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:42 AM

424 posts, read 175,670 times
Whatever gets people willingly getting shots in their arms is fine with me. Note that I said willingly. If the chance of winning a hunting rifle is enough to get Bubba Joe down to the Walgreens for the vaccine that will keep him and his meemaw safe, then that's cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies