Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 10:21 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Amazon US customers have one week to opt out of mass wireless sharing

Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network, as part of the company’s plan to fix connection problems for its smart home devices.

The proposal, called Amazon Sidewalk, involves the company’s devices being used as a springboard to build city-wide “mesh networks” that help simplify the process of setting up new devices, keep them online even if they’re out of range of home wifi, and extend the range of tracking devices such as those made by Tile.

The feature works by creating a low-bandwidth network using smart home devices such as Amazon Echoes and Ring security cameras. At its simplest, it means that a new Echo can set itself up using a neighbour’s wifi, or a security camera can continue to send motion alerts even if its connection to the internet is disrupted, by piggybacking on the connection of another camera across the street. Other devices that don’t need a high-bandwidth connection, such as smart lights, pet locators or smart locks, can use Sidewalk all the time.

Users can disable Sidewalk in the settings section of the Alexa or Ring apps, but have until 8 June to do so. After that, if they have taken no action, the network will be turned on and their devices will become “Sidewalk Bridges”.

Privacy obviously not high on the priority list for Amazon.

Here is Amazon's presentation of Sidewalk.

Introducing Amazon Sidewalk

Amazon Sidewalk is a new long-term effort to greatly extend the working range of low-bandwidth, low-power, smart lights, sensors, and other low-cost devices customers install at the edge of their home network. Using the 900 MHz spectrum, we are developing a new protocol we project can increase the connection range of these devices by more than one half mile/one kilometer. With Amazon Sidewalk, customers will be able to place smart devices anywhere on their property and know they’ll work great, even in dead spots where Wi-Fi and Bluetooth don’t reach.

Using the 900 MHz spectrum to help devices communicate isn’t new. In fact, it’s been around for decades, providing reliable, secure connections for long-range devices like the radios used by emergency services and the digital pagers carried by doctors on-call. It’s by combining this tested communications network with an innovative new protocol developed by Amazon that we arrived at Sidewalk; a new way for the next generation of low-cost, low-bandwidth sensors and smart devices to work together to create a secure network of long-distance connections, bridging the connectivity gaps around our homes.

I wouldn't want someone else on my network.

Just making sure people are aware...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 10:39 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
"Skynet becomes self-aware at 2:14am Eastern Time, August 29th."

hope you folks enjoyed the Pinnacle of Human Civilization in the mid 20th thru early 21st Centuries. I guarantee you wont recognize the place in 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQsG3TKQ0I

Old 06-02-2021, 10:53 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
In the Alexa app, you just go to Settings, then Account Settings, then Amazon Sidewalk and toggle to disabled.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:10 PM

More info is here.

What Is Amazon Sidewalk and How Do You Disable It?

First off, this is Sidewalk 1.0 and new products are known to have bugs. Wireless networks have also been compromised before, and they'll be compromised again. (Amazon has a whitepaper on Sidewalk security, but next year's Black Hat conference could blow that to smithereens.)

Consider how much you trust the giant mega-corps with your data and act accordingly. Amazon says the delivery system of Sidewalk is exactly that—for delivery only, with Sidewalk Gateways and servers never even seeing the data involved, only the packets that prove they deserve the transport. It only authenticates and sends, it doesn't read it.

But data like this is about more than content. Amazon, like any good data-miner, will know who's walking by the house, knocking on the door, or unlocking a door if they happen to use or just have a Sidewalk device on their person. Talk about targeted advertising opportunities.

Plus, there is still plenty of hullabaloo about the privacy surrounding Amazon and its Alexa assistant. Amazon itself owns a controversial facial-recognition platform that it only stopped selling to police last year. Amazon-owned Ring has also partnered with at least 405 police agencies across the US so officials can more easily access video footage captured by the doorbell cameras.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dudes View Post
Most people ARE AWARE and have been so conditioned not to care.... My parents are this way
I don't have these products.

How are "most" people made aware of this? Definitely not typical media sources...

Old 06-02-2021, 11:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I would like to have a link to OP's information that I can share with some friends.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:31 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
The original post has two links, but maybe you cant see that because they both use blue text.

Here is the link to the OP:
https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/dev...mazon-sidewalk

this is being distributed by cache.prod.amazon-blogs.psdops.com. + dijxcoe1ledft.cloudfront.net so maybe you say, is that legit?

So here's a link off the real amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Sidewa...de=21328123011

Old 06-03-2021, 01:38 AM

152 posts, read 61,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
In the Alexa app, you just go to Settings, then Account Settings, then Amazon Sidewalk and toggle to disabled.
I just checked the app and this option doesn't appear at all. Probably because I have an older device?

Quote:
What are Sidewalk Bridges, and which devices are able to become Sidewalk Bridges?
Sidewalk Bridges are devices that provide connections to Amazon Sidewalk. Today, Sidewalk Bridges include many Echo devices and select Ring Floodlight and Spotlight Cams. A comprehensive list of Sidewalk devices includes: Ring Floodlight Cam (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Wired (2019), Ring Spotlight Cam Mount (2019), Echo (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot for Kids (3rd gen and newer), Echo Dot with Clock (3rd gen and newer), Echo Plus (all generations), Echo Show (2nd gen), Echo Show 5, 8, 10 (all generations), Echo Spot, Echo Studio, Echo Input, Echo Flex.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,606,559 times
My local cable company (Optimum) also does something like this when they install their wireless router in your home when you get service. They create a public WiFi access point in addition to your home WiFi network. I replaced their WiFi router with my own that does not do this.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
It should not be opt-out but opt-in instead. . That is an abuse of privacy by this tech company. When will our government officials who say they care so much about us start providing us with some protection against these intrusive companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies