Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

What is to be learned by having to clean cotton? Why not make a salad and give a cooking class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 10:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not different. It's called lack of situational awareness.

To recap:

The problem is, people only view things from their perspective, and if they think there's nothing wrong with something (or wrong with something for that matter), then everyone else must have the same opinion or that person is in the wrong.

Again, lack of situational awareness. Now, I don't particularly think there's anything wrong with describing or demonstrating how hard it may have been to clean cotton, but just simply having your students try and clean it as a 'fun activity,' especially with Black students present and without any additional context, is just inviting trouble.

I'm saying all this not because I believe in 'woke' sensibilities, but simply because there's just some things in life you don't do or say if you want to preserve your career. In this day and age it just doesn't cut it NOT to be extra cautious in what you do especially if you are constantly in the public eye like a school teacher. We may not all agree with this, but that's just reality.
Well, then, that's different if you're simulating the experience of enslaved people rather than simply demonstrating how hard it is to get the seeds out of cotton by hand. I agree. Tone deaf.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:11 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What is to be learned by having to clean cotton? Why not make a salad and give a cooking class.
What is to be learned, is that enables you to understand how the invention of the cotton gin completely changed the south. Prior to that, in 1793, cotton had to be ginned by hand and so it was much less profitable. When you can gin it by machine, suddenly plantations mushroomed and the slave trade boomed, and cotton was king in the south.

So, a much bigger lesson than making a salad or cooking class.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:14 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And this brings up the trivia question EVERYONE knows - [1]"who invented the cotton gin"?

Why we ALL know that is the mystery of what public schools deem important. Because what we don't seem to know, that's actually important, [2] is the significance the cotton gin had on the US.
that's a good point. how many people on the street could answer [1] but not [2]?

Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There are just some things in life that are better left unsaid and undone. If I was a teacher, there's absolutely no way I would say or do anything that could remotely be considered offensive, no matter how much of a stretch it may be. I'd do things by the book and avoid doing anything altogether outside of the safe script.

In this case, I would never have done that with the cotton, especially knowing that there are Black students in my class. Yes, I know that's ludicrous, but it's reality. You always gotta watch yourself in this society of ours, you just never know who will take offense at something you do.

If you value your job security, then it's on you to be hyper vigilant. You can't do or say something knowing full well that someone could take offense, and then complain about it afterwards. Again, I know that sucks, but that's how things go these days, if you don't like it, then you can become your own boss or quit and retire somehow.
While I can totally understand (and even support) your point of view - from an educational standpoint, it is my opinion that sticking to the "safe script" is what has led to American students being far behind in so many things. Our educational system doesn't seem to inspire creativity and thinking outside the box.

Years ago I worked on a STEM program for middle school students - it was fascinating to see how many class curriculums could be pulled into this program but not one teacher ever saw it. The essay portion could be completed in the English class. The city design portion could be taught in social studies or civics. The portion that used a specific software could be taught in a technology class. There were science portions that could be taught in science classes. The end result was a project that could bring the whole lesson plan to an all encompassing solution. But all the teachers could do (because of the safe scripts they are required to follow) was just pass on the program in general.

I feel for the kids...the lessons they learn have no real meaning to them because of a safe script.

Old 06-03-2021, 11:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
You know, a lot of kids think milk comes from the supermarket. Also salad fixings for that matter. I believe they should learn about farming.

The parent in this story is just plain wrong. If this lesson had been taught during black history month, the parent probably would have been happy about it.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Video here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...?ocid=msedgdhp

Mom seems emotionally disturbed. Black ACLU rep can't be bothered to explain what his problem is with the lesson, says "there needs to be a change in attitude".

Old 06-05-2021, 08:25 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
It teaches about how the industrial revolution transformed life around the US (and the globe).

It's a history class, not home economics.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:04 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What is to be learned, is that enables you to understand how the invention of the cotton gin completely changed the south. Prior to that, in 1793, cotton had to be ginned by hand and so it was much less profitable. When you can gin it by machine, suddenly plantations mushroomed and the slave trade boomed, and cotton was king in the south.

So, a much bigger lesson than making a salad or cooking class.
Having a Cotton Gin does the picking so how did the slave trade boom when the slaves no longer were needed to pick cotton..

Many poor white people also picked cotton.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:33 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I've seen lots of whiners complaining about some of the smallest, stupidest things-but this is right up there. It may not be AOC or Maxine level stupid, but close. Look, these kids were being taught about the industrial revolution. One of the earliest examples was the cotton gin, which took humans out of a position of doing a horrible, tedious job. Understanding how bad that was and the benefits of industrialization is an important teaching tool. And none of you ever picked no cotton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies