Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 01:06 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times

Advertisements

As part of a lesson about the industrial revolution, a teacher brought some cotton to class and had the kids try cleaning it by hand...
Quote:
A family is pushing for the removal of a middle school assistant principal in Spokane, Washington, after the mother of two Black students raised concerns about a classroom assignment to clean newly picked cotton.

Assistant Principal Taylor Skidmore at Sacajawea Middle School suggested the twins, who are 14, be removed from their social studies class after their mother, Brandi Feazell, called to raise concerns about the "harmful lesson," according to the Associated Press.

"As two of the only three Black students in the class that day, my daughters already felt singled out during an activity that required them to clean cotton. Separating them from the rest of the class would only compound their pain and isolation and do nothing to change the racist culture and policies that led to this inappropriate and harmful lesson in the first place," Feazell said.
---
In addition to asking that Skidmore be removed, the family wants the social studies teacher and other school administrators who failed to act promptly to face discipline.

They are also asking for a public apology from Spokane Public Schools and for anti-racism training to be implemented districtwide.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...BingNewsSearch
Quote:
Taylor Skidmore, assistant principal at Sacajawea Middle School, offered to remove the 14-year-old twins from their social studies class when their mother called to raise concerns about the cotton lesson, according to a statement Wednesday from ACLU of Washington and TeamChild, a legal firm.

Mother Brandi Feazell said she was shocked at Skidmore’s suggestion to segregate her daughters from their class,
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibWkp7OFB_A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 02:14 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Don't want them in the class, don't want them out of the class ("segregated", or as most people call it, "excused"). Maybe the lesson on the cotton gin could also have included a bit about who used to pick the cotton and how slavery played a role, but we'll never know.

Sounds like assumptions were made all around and communication was lacking.

Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,780,104 times
It wasn't unusual for teachers to present such projects when I went to school and no one related it to racism. It was to demonstrate how much we take for granted these days. Maybe instead she should have removed all the toilet paper from the bathroom and given them leaves and a Sears catalogue to show how far we've come in creature comforts.

Old 06-03-2021, 03:05 AM

7,325 posts, read 3,513,097 times
Well this is what happens when white liberals keep telling people of color how fragile they are. It becomes self-perpetuating.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:55 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Well this is what happens when white liberals keep telling people of color how fragile they are. It becomes self-perpetuating.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:13 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,630 posts, read 16,111,637 times
Would have been acceptable to lefty if principal had them stroke bananas

Old 06-03-2021, 07:14 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
I honestly cannot understand the parent who complained, and I agree that it would be a good tie-in to talking about slavery.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:16 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Would have been acceptable to lefty if principal had them stroke bananas
or layer them with condoms. what a stupid parent.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I honestly cannot understand the parent who complained, and I agree that it would be a good tie-in to talking about slavery.

I don't understand it either. I guess she is one of those fools that see racism everywhere.

News Flash Lady, it wasn't only black people that picked cotton. Who does she think picked the cotton after slavery was abolished? Picking cotton was primarily done by people that were living in poverty and poverty knows no skin tone.

It is such a shame that a teacher cannot show the kids with a hands on lesson how hard it was for so many people. Imagine the kids might actually learn something and work harder in school so they do not have to one day do manual labor like picking cotton to put food on the table.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
And this brings up the trivia question EVERYONE knows - "who invented the cotton gin"?

Why we ALL know that is the mystery of what public schools deem important. Because what we don't seem to know, that's actually important, is the significance the cotton gin had on the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies