Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 06:44 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Pointing out that the Teacher’s Union has bought influence - which included how the CDC worded announcements re COVID and teachers - isn’t denigrating teachers. It’s pointing our that Democrat-supporting unions are bad news. So I’m not sure what’s “on me.”

And the feds do get involved when banks make risky loans to people. Taxpayers end up bailing them out.

Teaching is a fairly stable job. So overall probably not many risky loans. Obviously this whole thing is the dems pandering to teachers and the teachers unions. It is a smart way to get more democrat voters. Republicans in congress will fight this and look anti teacher.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
All depends on the area. A starting salary of $46k (and remember, summers off) would allow a 22-year-old to double up and share a two-bedroom apartment. Every new college graduate I knew does that. There are very few who can afford their own place in the early years, often through their 20s.

Also, a salary near $50k (starting salary, you say) can be quite comfortable depending on location. My cousin earns only around $50k and recently bought her own single-family house.

As you note, the premise of the thread is primarily that teachers are not on the same level as those who risked their lives during COVID - police, medical, firefighters. That they are lumped in with this bill is ridiculous.

well, the premise of the thread - and basically all of your posts in it - is to diminish the importance of teachers. That you cannot even try to deny.

Teachers have some advantages, time-wise.

They do get all Federal Holidays off that are during the school year, and let's throw in 5 extra. They do get about 14 days off over December/early Jan. They do get mid-June to mid-August off (60 days, not 3 months). And of course, they don't work weekends. But they basically arrive at 7, leave at 3 (that's an 8 hour day) with usually not more than either a) a 30 minute lunch and/or b) a 45 minute "planning period".

Regardless, what should be the point of the thread is that the Federal government has no damn reason to get even more involved with the mortgage market, when in any semi-suburban/urban location, the Banks all have programs that would meet these needs.

You people are aware that Banks fall all over themselves to offer 100% loans to fresh Med school grads and some newly-minted attorneys, right?

Old 06-04-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Yup. The woman I know ... I was complaining to her
no doubt.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You clearly don't have the slightest idea of what realtors do. And he clearly knows far less about this topic than I do. No offense.
hahahahahha

lololololololol

go ahead and tell us your real name, so we can google your whole life, dude/dudette.

I'll wait - patiently.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:29 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well, when teachers teach CRT in K-12, yeah, then those teachers deserve the title "the villains in America."
They should definitely teach that but I have to tell you, sadly, physics is really an afterthought in K-12 in US...

Old 06-04-2021, 07:31 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
A starting salary for a 10-month job is $53,000?! That’s pretty decent money for a 22-year-old.

And that fact that many teachers go their entire lives without nearing $100k? Same thing with plenty, if not most, of other professions - and those people have to work the entire year.

Also, I was hesitant to say this, but I will now: education majors have the lowest average IQ of all college majors. The fact that teachers, of very average intelligence, work partial years and earn into the 80s and 90s, by mid-career, is a nice life. No special “privilege” for mortgages should be set for them.
Said the person who complained about "insults".

Old 06-04-2021, 09:18 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Here ya go. After 20 years, teachers are getting in the 80s and 90s, and after 25 years, it’s mostly 90s with some touching $100k. (Pulli to the faculty parking lot, and you see Lexuses and BMWs galore.)

And the other point is, lumping teachers - who never even had to leave the house while earning full pay - in with those in the front line - like firemen, police, medical personnel - just cries of Teacher Union influence.

https://www.lcps.org/cms/lib/VA01000...ry%20Scale.pdf
What state is this pay scale from. In our state you can't teach with a license or a bachelor degree. You need to be accepted into the school of education which is hard to get into. And my sister has a masters in special ed. She's been teaching for decades and doesn't even make $100,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies