Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 09:15 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,987,535 times

Advertisements

This is a serious issue and it shouldn't be controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 09:33 AM

29,480 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
https://www.wdrb.com/news/national/d...c3cc4569b.html (
(FOX NEWS) -- The world of auto crash-test dummies is apparently male-dominated – but a Democrat in Congress is hoping to change that, according to a report.
Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, the non-voting representative of Washington, D.C., says the lack of female crash-test dummies means that vehicle collision risks for women are not adequately studied, according to the Washington Times.
Norton serves on the House Transportation subcommittee on highways and transit. She called for Congress to introduce legislation regarding her concerns) MY OP)
Not sure what this loon is even talking about. When designing automotive interiors and the safety features in them, we do use a 50th percentile male target as well as a 5th percentile female target. This is about height and weights.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...ibu_oscar.html

Last edited by scarabchuck; 06-10-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 11:35 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am saying sex and gender are two different concepts, as does everybody else who has looked into the question. Go play "gotcha" with someone else.
"Women have achieved equality on the road when it comes to driving but when it comes to safety testing to keep them safe on the road, they are nowhere near achieving equality," Norton said in a statement, according to the Times.

That quote says "women", does it not?

So please, answer my question - are you saying there is a difference between men and women, aside how someone feels? because Norton seems to think so.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:47 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
So please, answer my question - are you saying there is a difference between men and women, aside how someone feels? because Norton seems to think so.
A biological difference expressed in the phenotype? Yes, that's what we call "sex" in biology.

As to what you call "feels", that's a crude oversimplification of the gender debate, but I suspect you know that.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:17 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A biological difference expressed in the phenotype? Yes, that's what we call "sex" in biology.

As to what you call "feels", that's a crude oversimplification of the gender debate, but I suspect you know that.
I see you do not want to answer, got it.

Norton stated "woman", this is saying there is a biological difference between men and women, so someone just cannot "feel" they are a woman, they cannot change their biology.

And yes, it is a "feeling", or you think there is more to it when a man wants to chop his penis off and engage in stereotypical women traits? If it is not a "feel", what is it then?

SO back to the dummies, exactly what biological difference is there that someone would think there needs to be defined men and women's dummies? And what are these biological traits that define a man and woman, and how does a person change these biological traits when they are transgendered?

Old 06-10-2021, 05:30 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I see you do not want to answer, got it.

Norton stated "woman", this is saying there is a biological difference between men and women, so someone just cannot "feel" they are a woman, they cannot change their biology.

And yes, it is a "feeling", or you think there is more to it when a man wants to chop his penis off and engage in stereotypical women traits? If it is not a "feel", what is it then?

SO back to the dummies, exactly what biological difference is there that someone would think there needs to be defined men and women's dummies? And what are these biological traits that define a man and woman, and how does a person change these biological traits when they are transgendered?
Did I call it or what?

Biological differences have to do with sex, and they're of course real. No one denies that. The mean weight, height, bone structure etc. of a human female varies from the do. of a human male.

The mental aspect is what we call "gender", and that is much less clear-cut. Turns out the brain doesn't always match the chromosomes and people change their life accordingly, hoping their surroundings will acommodate them in trying to be happier. This appears to be very confusing to some, although I can't for the life of me see why.

But as it happens, crash-test dummies only deal with physical biology. Sex, not gender.

Glad we got that cleared up.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:35 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
This was a very real problem, but it is old news.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...ivers-at-risk/

Among the problems are that crash test dummies were not designed for the fact that many women are much shorter than men. Because of this the crash tests did not account for those cars whose seat belts went across women's necks during a crash. FYI, a belt across the neck in a crash is a bad thing .
Yup!

Old 06-10-2021, 05:40 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
We have daily riots, murder, border crisis and these loonies are worried about crash test dummies?

I swear we should use some of our politicians as crash test dummies.
lol. Just when you think they can't get crazier... Talking about changing words in the dictionary. How about for the definition of Crazy: show a pic of any democrat.

Old 06-10-2021, 05:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And having make believe boobs on a make believe dummy makes a difference in a crash test ????
I would say yes it does. If a woman is large, her boobs will be smushed severely in an accident, if the belt doesn't cut into her neck first because she is 5'3" tall.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:04 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
What is so weird about this? Male and females are physically different and as long as our federal government sets safety standards through DOT and NTSB, the information they have should be accurate. If you and your wife are purchasing a car for her and the manufacturer's advertised safety statistics were only based on 6'3" dummies with an entirely different center of gravity and bone density, you'd feel mislead. It's akin to how they thought for decades that pain up one arm was a precursor to a heart attack, without realizing the symptoms in women (over 50% of the population) are different. The Dems have gotten on my nerves with some of the wokeism too but this is biology and physics, not wokeism. Let's actually think things through before we attack them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies