Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 01:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This woman's property taxes keep the doors opened to this school. She has every right and then some to know what her children are taught! And she does not agree with what they are taught she can voice her opinion.
Yes she does and yes there is a process for parents to be involved but there is also time limits at most public meetings to allow all those who wish to speak an opportunity. She was presented more than once a chance to meet with people involved to discuss her concerns but thats not what she wants, she want to vent publically, she is a victim...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 01:54 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
While I agree with a lot of what she says, I think she handled this poorly. Her body language, tone of her voice and using hyperbolas that accuse the school board of "treason against our children", and to "stop teaching our kids to murder police officers".

She completely missed the mark, and didn't sway one opponent. All she did was throw red meat to the "base".

There are better ways, and often, even with school districts, money talks, bull**** walks. Once they start losing their jobs and/or putting pet programs on hold due to lack of money, then they'll be more amicable.

Last edited by tolovefromANFIELD; 06-04-2021 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's time that reasonable people STOP allowing their children to be indoctrinated in government "schools." Start nonprofit co-ops, private schools, community schools, etc. Do it the way it was done before the government took over.
School that wasn't accessible to all children? School where kids drop out before 8th grade? One room schoolhouses? Do you know how long it's been that "government" established a public school system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
No school should be teaching anything but Math, Reading, Writing.
those would be very undereducated children. That would not be the kind of school that I want my kids going to. I would want them to have a well-rounded education that includes history, social studies (or whatever they call it these days), current events, art, music, physical education, science, language arts and foreign languages, career exploration ... There's so much more to life than "Math, Reading, Writing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That poster also equates taking advantage of K-12 education, which the parents pay towards via outrageous property tax, to people who take food stamps and Medicaid, which is entirely free (to them).
The majority of people who qualify for SNAP are working; therefore, they pay taxes.

Quote:
People on food stamps do not pay property tax, which is what funds the schools.
You know this how? They do if they own their own home. They do if they rent, indirectly.

Also, many districts are funded through income taxes, which are paid by all working people, even those who qualify for SNAP. Do some homework on the topic.

Quote:
The problem comes in when liberals run the curriculum and promote biased, and now racist, attitudes. History is a lot more than slavery and how evil whites are, but an inordinate amount of time is spent in that. Children are coming home thinking that the most pressing thing to learn is how awful some whites were to some blacks 200 years ago.
Why not start your own school, since you despise the public school system and its teachers so much.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
People on food stamps who own houses absolutely do fund the schools.... But we're conflating two different things here.

History and current events are academic subjects.
Yeah, you're conflating, all right. A taxpayer has every right to criticize what is being taught in her district's schools. You admit that you've never had children, so perhaps you're speaking outside of your realm of experience here?

In a development that I'm sure shocks no one, this Carmel, NY is 1% black. I would say that if the people in this school district really want to show their support for black people they should head to the schools a bit to their south, in Yonkers or the Bronx.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:10 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Yes she does and yes there is a process for parents to be involved but there is also time limits at most public meetings to allow all those who wish to speak an opportunity. She was presented more than once a chance to meet with people involved to discuss her concerns but thats not what she wants, she want to vent publically, she is a victim...
No, the kids are the victims of being brainwashed..

Glad there's some out there speaking up.

Keep this chit out of the schools.

And, if anyone is ok with it - YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Kids of today, have no chance.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:12 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

The majority of people who qualify for SNAP are working; therefore, they pay taxes.

You know this how? They do if they own their own home. They do if they rent, indirectly.

Also, many districts are funded through income taxes, which are paid by all working people, even those who qualify for SNAP. Do some homework on the topic.

Why not start your own school, since you despise the public school system and its teachers so much.
Yea, yea....libs are always quick to point out that poor people pay taxes. (Sales tax and such, but they don’t pay income taxes - and certainly not if they have children. They’re collecting a fortune from the government.) But we are talking about the fact that middle-class and up parents are paying $10,000 and more for schools - believe me, the poor people on food stamps aren’t paying that - and they are infuriated by the anti-white crap they are shoving down their children’s threads.

And I don’t despise public schools. I despise what they’ve become - indoctrination centers for the anti-American and racist leftists. Whites are this....and whites are that. Can you imagine the screaming that would be going in by liberals if teachers were teaching that blacks are born with innate negative traits?

Old 06-04-2021, 02:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
No, the kids are the victims of being brainwashed..

Glad there's some out there speaking up.

Keep this chit out of the schools.

And, if anyone is ok with it - YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Kids of today, have no chance.
I said she is playing the victim and if she is truly concerned with finding a solution going on a public rant like some GOP politician is not the way to do it. But I see from your retort anyone who disagrees with her approach is at fault.

And nothing will change because she can't be bothered with doing it the right way, but hey she'll take away their cup of water seeing she paid for that. What she forget is these unpaid School Board Members are residents too and they also pay taxes so they can keep their chair and their cup of water and impose the time limit as identified in the meeting rules so others can have their right to get up and speak.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:25 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
She didn't help her cause - and it would have taken her 30 seconds to look up the fact that the school board that "works for HER" is a volunteer position.

No one listens, when you come on like that. She may have had some valid points (don't know) that would have made a impression had she brought several items of the curriculum she specifically objected to.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:38 PM

424 posts, read 175,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yeah, you're conflating, all right. A taxpayer has every right to criticize what is being taught in her district's schools. You admit that you've never had children, so perhaps you're speaking outside of your realm of experience here?

In a development that I'm sure shocks no one, this Carmel, NY is 1% black. I would say that if the people in this school district really want to show their support for black people they should head to the schools a bit to their south, in Yonkers or the Bronx.
I do have children; they went to private school.

Old 06-04-2021, 02:42 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Yea, yea....libs are always quick to point out that poor people pay taxes. (Sales tax and such, but they don’t pay income taxes - and certainly not if they have children.
What is it about the working poor paying taxes is so difficult for you to comprehend? Every worker pays income taxes - local, state, and federal - even low-income workers. Local and state income taxes support local schools; federal income taxes support federal education programs to local schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies