Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 03:33 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The 'preeminent' historian of American history speaketh.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/tom-h...174252824.html

Seriously???

Kids can't even READ and he want them to FOCUS on obscure American History...

FOR WHAT PURPOSE???
  • Mr. Hanks...did you know that over 40% kids barely Read at a high school level (how will they read your selective history books)?
  • Mr. Hanks...did you know that US Kids, rank in the bottom 10% in Math skills in advanced countries?
  • Mr. Hanks...did you know that US kids drop out rate of close to 40% in inner cities?
  • Mr Hanks...did you know that 1 in 5 students don't get enough FOOD ~~~!!!
Hanks needs a real education on Reality in the USA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 04:17 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Are teachers teaching kids about all the horrible things democrats did, like practice and defend slavery, institute Jim Crow laws, segregation, etc??? Of course not. That would be the truth, and democrats believe young minds must be shielded from the truth.
I have been around southern democrats my whole long life. I have never heard one of them deny what the democrats did back then. The part you left out is the democrats who were the KKK are now republicans.

What are they doing now?

Old 06-04-2021, 04:21 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
He lost my respect when he self seriously got pissed during Ricky Gervais' jokes at the Golden Globes. Acting in some movies doesn't elevate his opinion in any way, he should really just ****.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:24 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Much of the history of the world involves nightmarish barbarity.

It must make Hanks feel good to join-in the yammering that all the other Libs are doing......just pathetic blather, over and over again.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:26 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I honestly don't know what school kids are taught these days about our history. I assume they are taught that we once had slavery, that we had a Civil War and that slavery was abolished. But does it end there?

Are they taught that the South, through the use of Jim Crow laws, essentially re-established slavery when reconstruction ended? Are they taught that whites used lynching and burning to terrorize blacks to keep them down for the next 100 years? The Tulsa Massacre I would think would be a significant part of that history.

I think that explaining the horrors and indignities that Black Americans experienced and, to some extent, still experience, might help students understand current events, without saying all white people are bad.
Kids are being told the Civil War was just a skirmish, the real war is right now.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
And Lebron should stick to basketball.
LeBron didn't even have the class to shake hands with his opponents after losing in the first round.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:48 PM

It's so much more than racism being taught. The scope has been broadened. If you're white, you're just bad people.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:14 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,768,762 times
Teaching what really happened in American history should not include lying to children today teaching them all whites born today are racist and there is no cure. That is exactly what critical race theory teaches. It teaches people to hate and fear whites today.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:49 PM

13,458 posts, read 4,292,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The part you left out is the democrats who were the KKK are now republicans.

KKK can't be Republicans, they always believe in the Democrat doctrine and the best way to control the masses and hold racist government programs is by big government.

Old 06-04-2021, 06:00 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The 'preeminent' historian of American history speaketh.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/tom-h...174252824.html
That is the history of Tulsa, not my city or state's history. Why should we teach the history of other states in an effort to guilt trip young people in my state who had not a damn thing to do with it, much less children who were born just a decade or so ago?

I can see teaching the history of slavery and the civil rights era, so our children have a proper context for why we had to pass the 13th, 14th 15th amendments and CRA and VRA. I remember as a grade schooler in WI, learning of slavery. We were taught with the understanding that bad people from the past did these horrible things, because they were ignorant of the various races, and not enlightened as science and life's lessons have taught us. We were not made to feel responsible. No so in today's schools. Today they want to teach CTR where whites are to be demonized for the evils committed by people long dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies