Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 11:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Schools have dress codes for graduation. Kids have been turned away for flip flops instead of closed shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 11:15 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Is this the 3rd thread on this?

Old 06-08-2021, 11:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
This is SO the opposite of the way it used to be with immigrants. They were SO proud to be Americans, and displayed it whenever possible. My parents both grew up in neighborhoods that were more than half 1st generation immigrant - mostly Eastern European Jews and Italians - and they would wave the American flag whenever the opportunity arose.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Then you kick him out from walking but promptly give him his diploma. He’s already earned it by the time of the ceremony. School admin can suck a fat one. I remember they threatened to not let me graduate because I didn’t want to take the SAT at their official time (for more funding for them). I had already taken it and been accepted to college by this point.

And who cares what language his mother speaks. The US doesn’t have an official language.
Agree with the first part. They should not have let him walk if he wasn’t abiding by the dress code. He has earned his diploma so give it to him. I don’t see how they are tied together.

I do think the mother should know English by now though. At least enough to get by and it sounds like she knows none. That doesn’t instill confidence that she cares anything about the country she lives in and that has given her and her son a lot of opportunities. What happens when she can’t communicate with emergency personnel or others in position of authority? English is the unofficial language of the US. Only a nincompoop doesn’t learn the language of a country they lived in for nearly two decades. Out of respect, I would not live in a non English speaking country for that long without learning their language.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The problem with overlooking a flagrant violation of dress code (he didn't put the flag on until he was in line to receive his diploma) is it will be worse next year if you don't put a lid on it and make a public statement.

Next year, some guy will come in a superman outfit, then the next, in a speedo, then the next dressed in costume as the principal. And on and on.
Good point. Maybe the school can punish him in some other way. Why not have fines for violating dress code at an event like this? Pay the fine get your diploma. Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Agree with the first part. They should not have let him walk if he wasn’t abiding by the dress code. He has earned his diploma so give it to him. I don’t see how they are tied together.

I do think the mother should know English by now though. At least enough to get by and it sounds like she knows none. That doesn’t instill confidence that she cares anything about the country she lives in and that has given her and her son a lot of opportunities. What happens when she can’t communicate with emergency personnel or others in position of authority? English is the unofficial language of the US. Only a nincompoop doesn’t learn the language of a country they lived in for nearly two decades. Out of respect, I would not live in a non English speaking country for that long without learning their language.

Just to address the language thing.

IN the Atlanta area we had a French-Canadian couple who we became good friends with. The husband's English was good and they were in Georgia because of a Quebec company. The woman was a very bright woman who had a very successful career in finance/business in Quebec.

When they moved to Atlanta they hired a personal English teacher. The woman was really brilliant, had the financial and time resources to dedicate herself to learning the English language. She admitted to me that she was embarrassed that it was so difficult for her and after three years she had made little progress.

New languages aren't easy for everyone.

I also had another friend who was Japanese. Her American ex-military husband moved the family back to the USA & the woman and kids spoke ZERO English. The kids learned within a few months at school, of course with an ESL teacher. The Mom struggled to learn, even when her military husband implemented an English only rule at home.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:36 AM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkJuice View Post
Meh, he did the work and graduated. Snowflakes get bent.
You just don't get it, do you? Or maybe you do but you just don't give a damn about rules and why they are in place. I guess you think you are special and so was this graduate? The kid was born here not Mexico so if he wanted to break the rules and drape a flag around himself then why not the American flag instead?

Old 06-08-2021, 11:39 AM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post

I suspect that this kid's parents are illegal aliens and live in an ethnic enclave so they feel no need to learn English.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:09 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Just wondering . . .

did anyone ask the man why he was wearing a mexican flag?

"Critics called the incident racist, anti-Mexican, and an example of modern day colonialism, because the flag includes symbols of Central Mexico’s indigenous Aztec people.

“Your staff withholding a diploma in exchange to put his flag down is a form of colonization,” Maria Marquez posted on the school district’s Facebook page.

“Y’all need to apologize to this young man and his family for ruining one of the most important nights of his life because he chose to wear HIS FLAG,” Celine Cantu wrote.

If he truly feels that he is mexican, why is he in school in NC? Now that he's been graduated, when is he going home? Is he taking his mother with him?

So, the vocal critics and demonstrators maintain that not allowing the mexican flag to be worn as attire is showing white colonization? You have to wonder if these agitators can read and if so, have they read the dress code? The code prohibits all flags as attire. He was free to decorate his cap with all types of mexican paraphernalia. But he CHOSE to ignore the widely discussed dress code and instead wore the HIS FLAG (quote per his supporter). As kids, these were called trouble makers. As a man, well, can we guess his future?

Last edited by Lillie767; 06-08-2021 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-08-2021, 03:30 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
His diploma was never in jeopardy.............his ability to pull a political-stunt, while publicly receiving his diploma, was not going to be allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies