Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 01:26 PM

13,372 posts, read 4,227,870 times

Advertisements

I like flags but in some ceremonies or events here in the U.S. where the U.S. taxpayers are paying for that school and paper and ink for that diploma nobody should be flying or wearing any flag except the U.S. and if the code says no flags, then no flags.

Why a student wears a Mexican flag or any foreign flag in an American schools ceremonies is beyond me. Mexico didn't pay 1 dime to make the school, supply the school, pay the a/c, pay the heat, pay the power lights, pay the water bill, pay the teachers or the staff or put food and pay the cooks in the cafeteria. It was all U.S., so why wear a Mexican flag to pick up your diploma?

Imagine if I go to a public school in Mexico City, the Mexican taxpayers pay everything to make it happen for me to get an education and diploma, why would I wear an American flag on their soil, their school and their ceremony on stage? to remind them I'm American (like they don't know) that would be an insult to the Mexican students and parents in the ceremony.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 06-06-2021 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 01:27 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Here's where I stand.

The boy and his family were fools over the flag. But the school district should have never had such a policy to deny diplomas at graduation for this or similar issues. That said, if this rule was publicized beforehand--which I believe it was--I won't attack the school district for enforcing what was a neutral policy.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:29 PM

27,534 posts, read 16,018,410 times
Call ICE. Buh bye. Oh, but bitem stopped deportations

Old 06-06-2021, 01:30 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,574,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Being mixed African American and German, I’m proud of both my heritages... BUT!! Being a retired Soldier and a retired Law Enforcement Officer, the only flag “I” rally under is the flag of the United States since I am and will always be American first.

It’s not surprising that this kid most likely feels that America is a racist country since our media, big tech AND our schools teaches this all day long. Are we perfect? No, but after being on every continent, I can tell you that we’re not as racist or following tribalism as the rest of the planet.

Prior to 2008, we were making pretty progress on all racial issues, but that’s basically stopped and now we’re slipping back on all the advances that we’ve slowly made over the decades.

On a side note, you can tell that this kid is very misguided and basically clueless since what the Mexican GOVERNMENT has done AND continue to do to the Trique people is a modern day shame. Also, if you watch any of the TV Latino/Hispanic channels, watch how they portray Black people... Worse than the old American/European “Black Face” BS.

But hey, if the media, big tech and our communists leaning educators tells you day in and day out that the US is the cause of ALL the evil on the planet, they must be right... The funny thing about this is that if it wasn’t for the United States, we’d be writing this in either German or Russian AND a lot of people of Color on this forum, to include myself, probably wouldn’t be here or be enslaved in some forced labor camp, for the sins of being Colored.

And for the “survivors” of this new order, you could forget about having any free thoughts of your own if the United States, the greatest country on this planet, failed to fight and destroy both Fascism and Communism to the end.
Beautiful area of Mexico. I hiked in the mountains there last year. Stunning scenery, wonderful people, humble and friendly. Hard to believe this is just barely north of Central America.

Teen’s diploma in jeopardy after he wore Mexican flag to NC high school graduation-img_20200305_145818732_hdr.jpg

Old 06-06-2021, 01:32 PM

46,889 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Not the time and place. Not that graduation ceremonies in the US aren't weird as all out, mind - but either roll with the rules or stay away from the ceremony.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:44 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,396,687 times
This is not about the flag, or at least it shouldn't be. This is about the dress code, and how he violated it. If he was wearing a Mexican flag or a picture of Trump on a flag, it shouldn't make any difference. What really matters is that the school is way out of line withholding anybody's diploma because they didn't follow the dress code. If the student earned it ,, then they should give it to him. Not necessarily let him walk the stage but they could mail it to him, or let him pick it up in a few days.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:00 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,574,784 times
Interesting that the racist comments on this thread out pace those that say the kid was just wrong. Tells you a lot about where people's real feeling lie.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:42 PM

24,327 posts, read 17,065,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Interesting that the racist comments on this thread out pace those that say the kid was just wrong. Tells you a lot about where people's real feeling lie.

I missed the racist comments. I did see where some wanted him deported which is silly IF he is here in the states legally that is, but beyond that I did not see anything racist.

The kid should have adhered to the rules like everyone else did and he should also be thankful for the gift of an education that America has given him. He does not have to ever diss his heritage but he should remember that he is in the land of opportunity and not Northern Mexico.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:45 PM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Call ICE. Buh bye.
Why would anyone ASSume that the teen in question is in the country illegally?

Old 06-06-2021, 05:14 PM

13,372 posts, read 4,227,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would anyone ASSume that the teen in question is in the country illegally?

the parents and this kid could have saved all these reactions by not wearing a Mexican flag to an American school ceremony on American soil. These comments are nothing compared if an American kid does the same thing in Mexico City in a Mexican public school. I speak Spanish and I know very well how Mexicans react on their own soil about their country and nothing short of threats will come about it. They would be shouting "Gringo go home" "Guero chinga la madre" to start.

you can't control the reactions of people when somebody directly insults them in their face. It's the U.S. that made his education happened, the American tax payers and American school teachers that gave him the opportunity to have a diploma. Unless this is the special school Olympics between the 2 countries ceremony, he shouldn't wear a Mexican flag when he was told it wasn't allowed in the ceremony and he did it anyway. He has to deal with the reactions, he asked for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies