Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 08:19 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They teach that whites are racist, whether they know it or not, and that systemic racism is prevalent and impacts all blacks’ lives.
No they do not, the question CRT addresses is whether it's ingrained and systematic or is it just personal bias.

What do you see in our society over the decades.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:22 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No they do not, the question for CRT is whether it's ingrained and systematic or is it just personal bias.

The last few decades I've seen some individual instances of racism against blacks and systemic racism that works against whites (primarily affirmative action). But until BLM and the liberals hooked onto this racism stuff, things were much better than in decades past. In my day-to-day interactions with black people, I detect NO hostility or sense of victimhood. They're just people whose skin is darker than mine.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
No they do not, the question CRT addresses is whether it's ingrained and systematic or is it just personal bias.

Quote:
What do critical race theorists believe?
Probably not every member would subscribe to every tenet set out in this book, but many would agree on the following propositions. First, that racism is ordinary, not aberrational—“normal science,” the usual way society does business, the common, everyday experience of most people of color in this country. Second, most would agree that our system of white-over-color ascendancy serves important purposes, both psychic and material. The first feature, ordinariness, means that racism is difficult to cure or address. Color-blind, or “formal,” conceptions of equality, expressed in rules that insist only on treatment that is the same across the board, can thus remedy only the most blatant forms of discrimination, such as mortgage redlining or the refusal to hire a black Ph.D. rather than a white high school dropout, that do stand out and attract our attention. The second feature, sometimes called “interest convergence” or material determinism, adds a further dimension. Because racism advances the interests of both white elites (materially) and working-class people (psychically), large segments of society have little incentive to eradicate it.

A third theme of critical race theory, the “social construction” thesis, holds that race and races are products of social thought and relations. Not objective, inherent, or fixed, they correspond to no biological or genetic reality; rather, races are categories that society invents, manipulates, or retires when convenient.
https://uniteyouthdublin.files.wordp...okfi-org-1.pdf

Old 06-05-2021, 08:59 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Oh my god...the Apocalypse Is coming (as in the movie Apocalypse)...teaching the actual racist truth of American History and adding some previously omitted events (like the Tulsa Massacre, etc.)..."the horror"

Old 06-05-2021, 09:06 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Oh my god...the Apocalypse Is coming (as in the movie Apocalypse)...teaching the actual racist truth of American History and adding some previously omitted events (like the Tulsa Massacre, etc.)..."the horror"
Add to that the voyage of the St. Louis in 1939 and at least you are being balanced. Some groups have succeeded in spite of racism, rather than making a ceaseless victimhood play.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:01 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:

"Systemically" we have bent over backward to accommodate all races and treat them equally. EEOC, anti-discrimination laws, affirmative action, racial hiring quotas, eliminating (or attempting to eliminate) reasonable, objective standards in many aspects of life because they happen to affect certain ethnic groups disproportionately

Old 06-06-2021, 03:48 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
What a dishonest, disingenuous take. Are you a journalist?

Old 06-06-2021, 04:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Maybe you're just projecting your ignorance on everyone else...

Quote:
Similar activities took place in Oklahoma. Kay M. Teall’s Black History in Oklahoma, an impressive collection of historical documents published in 1971, helped to make the history of black Oklahomans far more accessible to teachers across the state. Teall’s book paid significant attention to the story of the riot, as did Arthur Tolson’s The Black Oklahomans: A History 1541-1972, which came out one year later.30

In 1975, Northeastern State University historian Rudia M. Halliburton, Jr. published The Tulsa Race War of 1921. Adapted from an article he had published three years earlier in the Journal of Black Studies, Halliburton’s book featured a remarkable collection of riot photographs, many of which he had collected from his students. Is sued by a small academic press in California, Halliburton’s book received little attention outside of scholarly circles. Nonetheless, as the first book about the riot published in more than a half-century, it was an other important step toward unlocking the riot’s history.31 In the end, it would still take several years — and other books, and other individuals — to lift the veil of silence fully which had long hovered over the riot. However, by the end of the 1970s, efforts were underway that, once and for all, would finally bring out into the open the history of the tragic events of the spring of 1921.32
https://www.okhistory.org/research/forms/freport.pdf

Old 06-06-2021, 04:50 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:

I learned about this stuff in the 90's while attending k-12. We learned about these events without a heaping spoon full of Marxism and victimhood mentality being pushed on our impressionable minds. We were also taught about the bombing of black churches, the assassination of MLK, the Tuskegee syphilis experiment and other tragedies/mistreatment of the time.

There's a right way to teach history, and then there are many wrong ways. While I've never personally been subjected to CRT, I am concerned about what exactly they are pushing on children. That's our nation's future they are messing with. I, as well as every other American, have a right to be concerned.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Agreed...nice link there as well...have no problem showing racist American History the way it really was...not just from a mainly Caucasian perspective purposely omitting things (like Tulsa Massacre, etc). My guess is most on here against CRT would also be the ones against desegregation/civil rights back in the 1960's and are unwilling to make any changes at all to achieve more racial equality in the future.

Wikipedia Critical Race Theory definition/link here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory
That's not a very nice thing to say and, if I may speak for 'most of us on here,' we would NOT be against desegregation and/or civil rights.

It's the indoctrination aspect of this that is incredibly troubling. Us older kids can sort if out. Young skulls full of mush are very impressionable and the idealogues in the education system are IMHO doing them an incredible disservice.

I posted this yesterday on another thread and probably will continue to do so where it is appropriate and where I think it bears repeating.

Now, to be clear, of COURSE I believe we should NOT be teaching hate (geez, for whoever it was that said that) and that we SHOULD be teaching about the darkest days in our history as a country, but I do not think we should be teaching self-loathing to kids who need to learn skills for the real world, not ideology. They can figure out their own ideology based on a solid, honest education.

"Ressentiment - hostile resentment - occurs when individual failure or insufficient status is blamed both on the system within which that failure or lowly status occurs and then, most particularly, on the people who have achieved success and high status within that system. The former, the system, is deemed by fiat to be unjust. The successful are deemed exploitative and corrupt, as they can be logically read as undeserving beneficiaries, as well as the voluntary, conscious self-serving and immoral supporters, if the system is unjust. Once this causal chain of thought has been accepted, all attacks on the successful can be construed as morally justified attempts at establishing justice - rather than, say, manifestations of envy and covetousness that might have traditionally been defined as shameful."
(Jordan Peterson "Beyond Order - 12 More Rules for Life" Rule V1- Abandon Ideology (pgs 174-175)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies