Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 11:49 AM

9,413 posts, read 4,258,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
A number of my friends are liberals.

I feel sorry for their misled delusions.

Just as I would feel sorry for their injury if they had a broken arm or something.

But they're still my friends. Why wouldn't they be?
You've articulated precisely how I feel about my liberal friends/family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 12:05 PM

50,123 posts, read 63,531,418 times
I’m always a little shocked when I find out that women I meet, and like, are not of my political persuasion, because usually when I have a rapport with someone it’s because of shared interests and values.

I never bring up politics, so usually no one knows my views. I volunteer with a group of women at a botanical garden. We have congenial chats as we work in the greenhouse. A few days after Rush Limbaugh died, I heard the other two women talking about how it was no great loss, and they couldn’t care less. I’m still congenial, but I keep them at arms length.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:14 PM

62,658 posts, read 28,845,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is the same way here. I don't understand how they can view politics the way they do so we avoid talking about it.

What is ironic is my wife and I lost friends and had a huge blowout with a family member because we liked Trump and preferred him over Hillary. These people would not listen to reason so they stormed away. Oh well. When I think about those people they were never happy people to begin with and the anti Trump hatred boiled their blood and showed who they really were. Today I think they are too embarrassed by their actions to admit it.

I am certainly friends with Liberals but there are many that want nothing to do with a Conservative especially if that person voted for Trump.
My wife and I have had similar experiences with friends and family. Liberals are so intolerant.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:19 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,144,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My wife and I have had similar experiences with friends and family. Liberals are so intolerant.

I think many of us have experienced the same. I know I have!

Old 06-07-2021, 12:27 PM

15,845 posts, read 6,916,141 times
I think it is only natural. Democrats are open minded about diversity, education, healthcare, criminal justice reform, racism, and all other social issues that need to be addressed.
Why would they have anything in common with people who would gaslight them on these human right issues? They dont even believe in human rights.
Repubs will be open to friendship because they have simply lost so many friends.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:37 PM

23,617 posts, read 23,932,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarStelzation View Post
Also, side note about pragerU:
https://youtu.be/EM7BgrddY18
I didn't even make it a minute in.. He screws up the very first comparison.

Prager explicitly stated that the idea behind the 5 minute video is to have the best minds in the world take a complex idea and distill it down to its essence, which is what they do, and they do it exceptionally well. If they didn't, the Left wouldn't care about them any more than they care specifically about me.

Prager is effective because truth resonates.

Haven't you noticed that ideas coming from the Left have to be forced onto people? Nobody naturally agrees with that BS, because it's BS. PragerU videos have received well over a billion views because people can recognize the truth when they see it, and after the last 10 years, especially the last 5, there's a deep craving by society for anyone to be truthful, even if the truth isn't agreeable with what we believe.

I may watch the rest of that video later. It's got a couple million views, so apparently a fair amount of people thought it was worth seeing. The creator set the stage in the first minute, though. He's either not very bright or being intentionally deceptive, the latter of which is, of course, standard practice for the Left.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:49 PM

23,617 posts, read 23,932,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My guess is that if we all met in real life, under any condition OTHER THAN politics, we'd all get along just fine. Here, it is a tough crowd and there is already an aura of disagreement by nature in many (not all) cases.
Generally, I agree. There are a handful of people I could name (but won't) who aren't capable of separating politics from any other aspect of their lives, though.

The cultish ideology that's taken over the Left demands proselytizing. It's not enough to just be not racist, you must be "anti-racist," or you are, in fact, racist.

If you're not being an activist for their cause, you're their enemy just as much as their actual enemies. Any deviation from the accepted narrative of that moment is grounds for immediate, complete and permanent cancellation from all aspects of society.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:56 PM

1,153 posts, read 626,350 times
Honestly, I simply don't care about politics THAT much for it to interfere with friendships and relationships. To me, your character and personality trumps your politics.

I have friends and relatives that are liberal, conservative, and in between. And the people I don't get along with has nothing to do with their politics whatsover.

Interestingly enough, I'm normally mistaken for a conservative/Republican in real life even though I'm more Independent/Libertarian than anything.

As a matter of fact, I remember joining the Republican Club back in college some years ago driven by a roommate's invitation. I stayed for a whole year prior to leaving and, towards the end, the members asked me how long I've been conservative. I told them I wasn't and that I was more of a Centrist/Independent and they were really shocked.

But, overall, I'm cool with people of all parties as long as they're great people. I still talk to one of my ex-girlfriends who's a liberal White girl who supports Bernie and BLM. We disagree on plenty of things politically but we have tons of interests outside politics and we still hang out with my current girlfriend's permission of course.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:59 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,247,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It goes both ways. I've lost friends, and also been shunned out of business dealings for answering honestly about my feelings on some political issues (usually Trump, his base is extremely loyal).

For me, I've not lost any friends, but I have muted people on BOTH SIDES of the political spectrum on Social Media, if they are rude, intollerent, or hostile. I am more accepting of those behaviors here, because it is a forum based on controversy, so I expect it. I don't tollerate that on my social media feeds, and I've muted people on both sides for it. (Social media, for me, is not intended to be that platform.)

I don't think it's accurate to say "Liberals are so intolerant", it goes both ways.

Old 06-07-2021, 01:05 PM

11,202 posts, read 8,247,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Generally, I agree. There are a handful of people I could name (but won't) who aren't capable of separating politics from any other aspect of their lives, though.

The cultish ideology that's taken over the Left demands proselytizing. It's not enough to just be not racist, you must be "anti-racist," or you are, in fact, racist.

If you're not being an activist for their cause, you're their enemy just as much as their actual enemies. Any deviation from the accepted narrative of that moment is grounds for immediate, complete and permanent cancellation from all aspects of society.
Coca Cola, Delta, The Media, Science, Education have all experienced the same from the right.

People who didn't support the Trump Agenda "hated America". It goes both ways.

Being labeled a racist for not being an activist is about like being labeled a commie for not denouncing the notion that all people should have an equal chance at the American Dream.

We could go on and on forever. My point is that BOTH sides see someone who disagrees with them, they make all sorts of assumptions, when the truth is, 99+% of the time, that we all have similar goals, and just have different ways to get there.

That is how my wife and I succeed as a couple. She is an avid Trump supporter, I guess you know where I stand. But when we stop talking about parties and politicians, we both want the same thing for our country and world. Sure, we have some heated debates, sometimes it's difficult, but I know the person she is, and I accept that she feels as strongly as I do, and that neither of us "hate America". To me, it's very hard to understand how anyone can support Trump, but to point, I'm sure it's hard for you to understand how anyone (like me) could possibly think Biden is a million-times better than he was.

We just disagree on what is best for America, and what is the best path to achieve that. I respect your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. I hope you can do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies