Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:36 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
That's the most silly overly-simplistic dodge I've ever heard. Free speech is also an agreed upon principle of western societies. You can abridge free speech as a private citizen, or as a corporation.

It's a new thing in our current corporatocracy. The government keeps its hands clean by adhering to the Constitution, and outsources the censorship dirty work to big tech and other private entities. Brilliant.
If I submitted a very liberal article or letter to the editor to a very right-wing publication, like TGP or Epoch Times, do you think they would publish it? And if they chose not to publish it, would that be a violation of my right to Free Speech?

Old 06-07-2021, 10:37 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How do you know that?

...A spokesman for the court, Gabriel Roberts, said Henkel, who was hired by the court on July 1, 1992, is no longer an employee and that his termination was based on multiple violations of the Unified Judicial System Code of Conduct and the nondiscrimination and equal employment policy...

The alleged interaction:

In the video, someone can be heard telling him, "That's not your property," as he pulls the signs from the fence.

"I know. It's the city, I pay for this," Henkel, 61, responds.

A woman then asks him, "Oh you pay for that?" to which he responds, "Yeah. My taxes pay for this place."

The woman says, "Oh, OK."

"Just so you know," Henkel tells her. "So I could do whatever I want."

The woman asks, "You could do whatever you want?" And Henkel says, "You're f------ right I can."

The woman tells Henkel, "See ya around" and he says, "Good. I'm always around. You're welcome."

And she shouts, "Black Lives Matter."

"Not to me, they don't," Henkel responds.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lives-n1231287
It was a bogus firing.

Citizens are allowed to remove 'bandit' signs from public property. Cops never gave me a problem.

Do you think somebody would have gotten fired for removing a Trump sign and saying 'Eff Trump'? Of course they wouldn't.

So, yes, this is an example of someone getting fired for not falling in line with your ilk.

And stop with the lie about not being a looney lefty. We all know ... Everybody's talking about it.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Americans like me who are Gen X’ers and older most likely recall hearing from their elders that there are several topics one does not bring up in order to keep company polite:

Politics
Sex
Money
Religion

I remember being told that these topics are best discussed with close friends and family only. I recall reading a Good Housekeeping article about “perfect dinner parties” being ones where those topics are not addressed. There is truth to this idea. Casual acquaintances, coworkers, and neighbors don’t need to know your feelings on these topics, and insistence on discussing them will lead to alienation.

Why can’t Americans agree to once again use some discretion and tact when it comes to these ideals? We’re becoming a rather uncivilized narcissistic bunch who believe our opinions are important enough to be shared anywhere at any time with anybody.

It’s past time for us to put the brakes on our national narcissism and go back to being decent and kind Americans to each other once again.
Gen X here.

Yep, my folks taught me that rule early on.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:39 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
It was a bogus firing.

Citizens are allowed to remove 'bandit' signs from public property. Cops never gave me a problem.

Do you think somebody would have gotten fired for removing a Trump sign and saying 'Eff Trump'? Of course the wouldn't.

That should be your first clue that it wasn't the sign removal that got him fired.

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
That's the most silly overly-simplistic dodge I've ever heard. Free speech is also an agreed upon principle of western societies. You can abridge free speech as a private citizen, or as a corporation.

It's a new thing in our current corporatocracy. The government keeps its hands clean by adhering to the Constitution, and outsources the censorship dirty work to big tech and other private entities. Brilliant.

This.....

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Again, as others have said and I agree -- it is not that conservatives are embarrassed to share their views, it is only that they are afraid of reprisals in some cases.

And some of us just don't enjoy being confrontational and/or risking unpleasantness -- especially in the workplace or with family members.
" Personal liberty, or the Right to enjoyment of life and liberty, is one of the fundamental or natural Rights, which has been protected by its inclusion as a guarantee in the various constitutions, which is not derived from, or dependent on, the U.S. Constitution, which may not be submitted to a vote and may not depend on the outcome of an election. It is one of the most sacred and valuable Rights, as sacred as the Right to private property...and is regarded as inalienable."
- - - 16 Corpus Juris Secundum, Constitutional Law, Sect.202, p.987.

In this excerpt we see that sacred rights encompass natural rights, personal liberty, and the right to private property (i.e., absolutely owned by an individual).

NATURAL RIGHTS - ... are the rights of life, liberty, privacy, and good reputation.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Ed., p. 1324

Short review of the foundation of American law - - -
" We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."
--- Declaration of Independence, 1776

Don't Tread on Me, superseded the Betsey Ross Flag. It is the reason you are armed at all times. If another person oppresses your birthrights, a justified killing is in order.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:40 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That should be your first clue that it wasn't the sign removal that got him fired.
Well, there's your proof that people get fired for not toeing the left's line.

You're contradicting yourself.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
If cons feel they can’t speak freely, they should look deep in themselves to ask why that is. Maybe they should reflect on the fact that their outdated, offensive, racist, smug, annoying, immature views are not considered appropriate or valid anymore. Maybe they should do a restart & start evolving as the rest of the population has done.
The arrogance of this point of view is off the scale.

You included the terms smug, annoying and immature in that screed, applying them to your opposition.

It's very, very interesting that you did that.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:41 AM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Look deep into themselves?? My views, which are now closer to conservatives, are the same views I had when I was a NY liberal for my entire life, until about five or six years ago.

Absolute free speech, questioning authority, borders (always seemed to be a given), fair wages, equality (not equity), pluralism, open debate, being suspicious of corporate power/the media, civil liberties, the Constitution, anti-war (and anti-interventionism), the environment (which is very different from the climate movement)...

I've looked deep within myself and I'm the same yoga loving hippie I've always been. The problem is the left has become extremely authoritarian, and authoritarianism is against everything I stand for.

It's ironic you are calling people 'smug' yet have appointed yourself the arbiter of what is considered a valid view. Open debate in a free society determines the value of views--not some group deciding who is 'evolved' or not.
Yes, I have said almost the exact same thing. I voted for the Democrat POTUS candidate from 1968 through 2008, inclusive -- and it has only been within the past ten years or so that in my opinion the Democratic party has been taken over by those on the far left.

My essential belief in equal rights and opportunity for everyone has not changed at all since I was old enough to care about such things.

But now it seems that having this belief is not good enough, and that the only way that those on the far left will be happy is if whites admit their "guilt" for things that happened before they were even born and confess that they are (supposedly) evil and make amends for the horrors of slavery and almost the complete eradication of the culture of indigenous people that happened more than a hundred years ago -- if such amends are even possible! And not only that, but it seems that those on the far left would also ask (demand) that those of us who are cisgendered and descended from Europeans renounce almost everything about our own culture and hand the U.S. over to those who want a drastic revision of government ("abolish the electoral college!") and who want to teach children the "progressive" ideology (for example, the "fact" that they can actually choose which sex to be).

Last edited by katharsis; 06-07-2021 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-07-2021, 10:42 AM

6,227 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Poor conservatives, are your ideas not worth sharing. Don’t want to back em up when someone else disagrees? You want an echo chamber. Please plenty of opportunities to say what you think no matter where you live. You choose not to is all.
Whoa....if a leftist speaks up the crowd cheers. A squeaky wheel get the grease.
But if a person on the right speak up or share their ideas they could lose their job or be beaten up by the leftist mob. It happens all the time it seems.
So I think it's safer to be quiet and voice your opinion on election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies