Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Freedom and liberty are scary ****!
Especially, when you realize other people have it, too.
You know what infuriates me and makes me bitter? It's that I support EVERY SINGLE one of their rights but they don't support mine.

I support gay marriage, am pro-choice, don't care what bathrooms trans people use, legalization of most drugs, your right to own as many guns as you like, the freedom to manage your own property the way you like, unfettered free speech, your freedom to do whatever you like with however much money you make, respect for your religion of choice, freedom of movement, equality of opportunity for all.

... and yet they will cross out or caveat the hell out of about half of those things. How does that make us equal? How can you call yourself an American when you won't stand up for those personal freedoms for everybody?

Old 06-07-2021, 11:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
But can you walk in and say **** BLM and not worry about getting fired or harassed? Or even say BLM is a marxist hate group?

I'd have to double-check my code of conduct, but I'm betting me saying "BLM is a Marxist hate group" is not a fireable action.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:48 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You may not be "the liberal left" but you certainly seem to be a fine mouthpiece for them
Also good to remember when engaging in civil discourse: avoid labels and pigeonholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Why can’t Americans agree to once again use some discretion and tact when it comes to these ideals? We’re becoming a rather uncivilized narcissistic bunch who believe our opinions are important enough to be shared anywhere at any time with anybody. For eff’s sake, pay attention to social cues. When you find yourself doing all the talking, it’s time to hush up.
You said this more succinctly and directly than I did. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
If I can't go to a town meeting and be on record as supporting the police without being intimidated and smeared for being a 'racist,' I don't have 'free speech' in principle. Yes, I'm aware that no one is stopping me from saying it. But the principle of free speech has been eroded when a person has to live with fear, and self-censorship.

If someone can't question their company's racially preferenced hiring practices without fear of losing their job, technically they have free speech, but that is not how free societies behave. Free societies have debates. You probably know that, but are playing semantics.
The privilege of stating an opinion publicly goes both ways. People are free to disagree with you as much as you are free to state your opinion. But staying silent just increases the intimidation.

Criticizing employers' policies are another matter. For better or worse, we've chosen at will employment as our standard, where someone can be fired for any reason not covered by law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Conservatives don't believe in cancel culture.
Planned Parenthood and Colin Kapernick would like a word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And your request for clarification was hardly that - it was a DEMAND that I complete the assignment you gave me. I didn’t feel like having to prove to you what anyone who knows what’s happening in this country already knows.
It's a generally accepted debate practice that the person who introduces a discussion point also has the burden of proof.

21,938 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I have seen many posts on this forum calling liberals "evil, "idiots" and "America-haters". And have heard similar comments in person. This type of rhetoric is a staple on Fox News. So it's not only liberals who "vigorously, loudly and freely champion their views and condemn" others.
I have literally heard THREE local liberals in the past week say the following:

I hate the Ricketts...Liberal when a conversation about the Cubs came up. Rickets are HUGE conservatives.

I hated the band director (that had to quit because someone went after his personnel records. He was on probation and the local press went after him. Even school didn't intend to fire him.)

When telling a liberal person I work out with in a class that we are moving to Florida "I hate Ron Desantis'.

I don't ever say I hate Kim Foxx (the prosecutor who lets all the criminals out) or Lori LIghtfoot, the clueless mayor of Chicago. I don't use the words "I HATE so and so or Biden' but I regularly hear it from liberals.

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Yes, because political party affiliation is not a protected class. Political beliefs are not a protected class.
Bingo. Reps to you.

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
One teacher was fired just for saying all lives matter.
Yup and a Texas teacher was fired for wearing Black Lives Matter stuff. Teachers should not engage in political dialogue -- they just shouldn't.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Intimidation is typically illegal.

If your company doesn't have conduct rules prohibiting questioning hiring practices, why would you fear losing your job?

If I say we should use human babies as a food crop, should I expect to not have to "fear" reactions to that public speech? What you're proposing is NOT "free speech" and it is NOT what America is "supposed to represent".
But saying using human babies as crop is reprehensible. You SHOULD get a hostile reaction. You’re coming across as holier-than-thou with the implication that conservative opinions are equally as reprehensible - and they’re not. They just don’t agree with the far-left nonsense.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Please don't compare your feelings of not being able to discuss politics openly with the feelings Germans may have had during Nazi era.

You live in a more liberal community and feel uncomfortable sharing your political views.
I live the southeast and I am careful about discussing politics because I know many -- if not most -- lean more conservative than liberal.

It is NOT comparable to what was going on in Germany during the Nazi era. It just isn't.

It is clear that many of us have the decency to not ramble on about our politics when we don't know our audience or even if we do.

Many of us know right and left leaning people that insist on sharing THEIR views.

We can agree they should keep it to themselves.

I'm sorry for you folks that have issues with your families over politics. I can't imagine.

My best friends are all conservatives & I respect them and their choice and we just don't talk politics.
Why not? Because YOU don't think so? I think it's a valid comparison.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:51 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yup and a Texas teacher was fired for wearing Black Lives Matter stuff. Teachers should not engage in political dialogue -- they just shouldn't.
That might be because political garb was against the dress code. In the example I cited, the teacher (actually, a dean) merely wrote in an email that blacks lives matter (so she agreed) but that all lives matter as well. Apparently, saying that everyone’s life matters is so distasteful to liberals that she lost her job.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post

Don't take yourselves so seriously, conservatives. It's not just you and it's not a new thing. We all run into places where we have to self censor. That's what makes this place so interesting - we get the chance to say what's on our minds without destroying relationships.

Remember the old saying about how people should avoid discussing religion and politics? This has always been a thing.
But previously, were people afraid of being doxed or losing their jobs? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies