U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,992,108 times

Advertisements

Saw a commercial yesterday pleading for money(imagine that) to 'save the polar bears' from extinction due to global warming...

It went on about how by sending $16 every month you will stop this from happening...it didn't go into any details as to how your $16/month would do this,I am sure that is simply a minor oversight.

Anyway, from a quick look round the internet there is a slight problem with this quite noble idea...there is no evidence of it being true.

In fact surveys show near historic high numbers of polar bears in the arctic refuge coastal plain.

[SIZE=3]Canadian biologist Dr. Mitchell Taylor, the director of wildlife research with the Arctic government of Nunavut: “Of the 13 populations of polar bears in Canada, 11 are stable or increasing in number. They are not going extinct, or even appear to be affected at present,” Taylor said. “It is just silly to predict the demise of polar bears in 25 years based on media-assisted hysteria.” [/SIZE]

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

It is funny to think that people will, through some misguided sense of do-goodedness, send their cash to save an animal who doesn't need saving.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM

19,177 posts, read 30,258,741 times
Actually...

Melting Under Pressure ... [scroll down to p. 3]

...contrarian articles continue to appear in the popular press, questioning climate warming
in general and, more specifically, denying the potential negative effects on polar bears. Such articles generally exhibit a poor understanding of polar bear ecology and selectively use information out of context, which results in public confusion about the real threat to polar bears due to loss of sea ice.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM

19,556 posts, read 20,992,108 times
Of course the biologists actually studying polar bears wouldn't know of what they speak of....especially if it contradicts the new religion of Global Warming.

So EXACTLY what will your $16/month get the polar bear?
Will ice be shipped to them?
Perhaps a huge ice machine will be built....

Or of course it is to be used to fund the global warming religion...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 PM

20,186 posts, read 22,651,806 times
It will be spent towards me turning on my air conditioner longer which will lower global temperature... the longer I leave the air conditioner on, my house gets cooler, so based on global warming logic, leaving my air conditioner set on longer will result in global cooling...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:54 PM

959 posts, read 2,251,558 times
LOL!!

From today's posts in general, I detect a serious lack of seriousness and distinct note of playful sarcasm.

Good post, oz!
Hey, let them little rainbows send all the $$ they want to some mystical cause...I'm sure some liquor cabinet on a Greenpeace boat somewhere will have nothing but the finest!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:39 PM

1,641 posts, read 4,837,705 times
Seems to me they've been kinda cold lately.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg10/agreatlife99/polar-bear-in-sauna.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 PM

6,761 posts, read 11,175,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually...

Melting Under Pressure ... [scroll down to p. 3]

...contrarian articles continue to appear in the popular press, questioning climate warming
in general and, more specifically, denying the potential negative effects on polar bears. Such articles generally exhibit a poor understanding of polar bear ecology and selectively use information out of context, which results in public confusion about the real threat to polar bears due to loss of sea ice.
Contrarian articles, aka, the rest of the story.

Besides, the only reason people get in such a tiffy over the idea of polar bears going extinct is because they have been deluded into a warm and cozy feeling about the big, friendly, furry, fuzzy, fun and cutesy bears.

Sometimes I just wish a few of these "save the polar bears" fanatics could wander out into the artic and bump into a couple of cubs with their mother. I hope they would run to the cubs and try to snuggle up to them under mama bear's watchful eye.....

Besides people! Sea lions are much cuter! They are also less dangerous to people. So if the polar bears die off, that just means we can all have a lot more cutesy cuddly sea lions to play with! YAYYYY!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM

26 posts, read 47,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It will be spent towards me turning on my air conditioner longer which will lower global temperature... the longer I leave the air conditioner on, my house gets cooler, so based on global warming logic, leaving my air conditioner set on longer will result in global cooling...
so Im not the only one!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:29 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,825,710 times
Sometimes when listening to or reading the global warming arguments I get a similar feeling to that I get from listening to a pastor and a scientist arguing about the origins of life, or a folksy grandma arguing with a nutritionist about the health benefits of syrup-soaked pork rinds.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM

6,761 posts, read 11,175,992 times
Sometimes when I listen to global warming arguments, I get a vision of Al Gore stuffing his face at a buffet, phoning his pilot to fuel up the jet, and using his blackberry to see how much his bank account grew from his chicken little work.....then I see people applauding him as some kind of envirosaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies