Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 09:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
The sooner the world rids itself of the barbaric superstition that is religion, the better off we'll all be.
Pretty ignorant take. Vast majority of humans need religion to have a stable life. So take away Christianity and people just fill the void with something much worse like the Hegelian religion of Wokeism with trans-dieties and no redemption possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 09:25 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Josh Hawley is nothing but an opportunist who will latch onto whatever tactic he thinks will advance his political career the most.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Are you sure all you democrat comrades are down with that idea?
This post makes no sense and has no point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
And there will be much rejoicing! And the Isrealis and Palestinians, the Shia and Sunni Muslims , the Christians and Satanists will all throw down their arms, and embrace heartily. "I love you!" "I love you, too!" and there will be peace on Earth.

Yeah, right. As if there aren't a bajillion other things for humans to fight over.
I never said it would solve all the world's problems. However, I think it's safe to say it would certainly remove some of them.

Not to mention the fact that people and societies that are less religious tend to be more educated, advanced, wealthy and developed than their uber religious counterparts. When humanity unshackles itself from the delusion of magic men in the sky, a lot more is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Pretty ignorant take. Vast majority of humans need religion to have a stable life. So take away Christianity and people just fill the void with something much worse like the Hegelian religion of Wokeism with trans-dieties and no redemption possible.
That's ironic because I find your post to be incredibly ignorant as well, not to mention lacking in empirical evidence.

Humans absolutely do not need religion to have stable lives. That's simply untrue. It might be a comfort for some (particularly the most uneducated) who want to believe there's something out there, but it's certainly not a requirement- especially for the majority of humanity.

As I stated above, the wealthier, more advanced and developed countries become the less religious they tend to be. This includes some of the most stable, democratic, happy and prosperous places on earth.

Christianity, like all religions, is anti-intellectual at its core and full of fake superstitions. It was created and written into a book by a bunch of illiterate men over two thousand years ago. Take it away, and the vast majority of people would be just fine.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:51 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
The sooner the world rids itself of the barbaric superstition that is religion, the better off we'll all be.
Yeah... it's MUCH better with Antifa goons, BLM Inc, and scientists that sponsor germ warfare against its own people.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:57 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Another reminder of the problem with Church starts to encroach on State.

And, in this case, besides it being a millennium and a half old, it was also condemned for heresy.

The Roots of Josh Hawley’s Rage
Why do so many Republicans appear to be at war with both truth and democracy?
By Katherine Stewart

In multiple speeches, an interview and a widely shared article for Christianity Today, Mr. Hawley has explained that the blame for society’s ills traces all the way back to Pelagius — a British-born monk who lived 17 centuries ago. In a 2019 commencement address at The King’s College, a small conservative Christian college devoted to “a biblical worldview,†Mr. Hawley denounced Pelagius for teaching that human beings have the freedom to choose how they live their lives and that grace comes to those who do good things, as opposed to those who believe the right doctrines... In other words, Mr. Hawley’s idea of freedom is the freedom to conform to what he and his preferred religious authorities know to be right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/o...democracy.html

The Roots of Josh Hawley’s Rage - The Classical Music Guide Forums
Reminds me of the Parable of the Grand Inquisitor in Dostoevski's Brothers Karamazov. With Hawley being the Grand Inquisitor of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Inquisitor

Old 06-09-2021, 06:26 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Sounds like Hawleys gripe is with the Enlightenment and reason itself. No surprise coming from a barbarian who has no qualms about parroting Trumps lies at the expense of our democratic institutions. If this guy ever became President it would be a disaster for this country.
Enlightenment is an overreach. It is not all good, nor is it all reasoning.

Because humans do not necessarily react based on reason. It removes the emotional, spiritual, and historical ties of a society that give people purpose.

The cult of enlightenment that is not willing to be critical of its ideals does the world no good.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:29 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:

Not to mention the fact that people and societies that are less religious tend to be more educated, advanced, wealthy and developed than their uber religious counterparts. When humanity unshackles itself from the delusion of magic men in the sky, a lot more is possible.
Most advanced countries become hyper individualistic. Without a shared purpose, the people look inwards and reject then notion of god.

That is not a sign of intelligence, but isolation. Religion can also be very negative, but we must have a nuanced view on the subject.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:22 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
As I stated above, the wealthier, more advanced and developed countries become the less religious they tend to be. This includes some of the most stable, democratic, happy and prosperous places on earth.
And then they begin to devolve, as the US is experiencing right now with Wokeism that has filled the void

Not just the US, but all of the Western anglo world. The birthplace of American Democracy, Scotland, is fast becoming the most totalitarian in the Western World

Last edited by BlakeJones; 06-09-2021 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-09-2021, 01:31 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
This post makes no sense and has no point.

I never said it would solve all the world's problems. However, I think it's safe to say it would certainly remove some of them.

1. I don't believe in "men in the sky", what a simplistic view of my beliefs. My beliefs are far more complex than ridiculous bumper sticker slogans like "men in the sky."

2. Insulting someone's intelligence right of the gate isn't a good basis for a discussion on the merits of religion. You painting all religious folks as uneducated morons, is pretty damned offensive. No, I didn't go to college (technically I did, for a semester, but I can't do algebra to save my life, so that's as far as I got), or graduate high school. I did get my GED. You can mock that if you want if it helps you paint me as some kind of unenlightened yokel, but you don't know a damned thing about me. I will never stop learning. I love thinking big thoughts. About the origins of man...of all life The origins of our universe...did it exist in some form as energy before it was transformed into matter? To quote AC/DC "who made who?" I could spend hours listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about the universe. Or Spencer Wells talking about genetics and evolution. I'm also a person of great faith. But I'm pretty sure I don't believe what you think I do.

Quote:
That's ironic because I find your post to be incredibly ignorant as well, not to mention lacking in empirical evidence.

Humans absolutely do not need religion to have stable lives. That's simply untrue. It might be a comfort for some (particularly the most uneducated) who want to believe there's something out there, but it's certainly not a requirement- especially for the majority of humanity.

Christianity, like all religions, is anti-intellectual at its core and full of fake superstitions. It was created and written into a book by a bunch of illiterate men over two thousand years ago. Take it away, and the vast majority of people would be just fine.
I'm agreeing with the bolded part. I know atheists with very rich and meaningful lives, who are wonderful people. Also, you should think about the sentence I have underlined. Particularly the "written by illiterate men" part. Illiterate men can't write.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:29 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I'm not at all sure that's true.

My impression is that most people are born into a religion, and brought up in it, and never stop to think whether they "need" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies