Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 08:04 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times

Advertisements

I've wondered the same question myself.

Doesn't it often seem like most - individual people and corporations - aren't taking the threat seriously? I keep getting businesses asking me for "security" information, and they don't seem to understand that the threat isn't from someone targeting me - the problem is people targeting the corporation.

As a funny detail, this article was also in the Kyiv Post.

Are We Waiting for Everyone to Get Hacked?
It’s been almost a decade since Leon Panetta, then the secretary of defense, warned of an impending “Cyber Pearl Harbor.” He didn’t want to be right.
Ransomware attacks are striking every eight minutes, crippling hospitals, police departments, NBA basketball and minor league baseball teams, even ferries to Martha’s Vineyard.

By Nicole Perlroth

Leon Panetta is one of the few US government officials who can look around at the nation’s rolling cyber disasters and justifiably say, “I told you so.” In a 2012 speech that many derided as hyperbolic, the former secretary of defense was among the first senior leaders to warn us, in the most sober of terms, that this would happen. He didn’t foretell every detail, and some of his graver predictions have yet to play out. But the stark vision he described is veering dangerously close to the reality we are living with now.

In the past few months, hackers were caught messing with the chemical controls at a water treatment plant in Florida, in what appeared to be an attempt to contaminate the water supply just before Super Bowl weekend in Tampa. Ransomware attacks are striking every eight minutes, crippling hospitals, police departments, NBA basketball and minor league baseball teams, even ferries to Martha’s Vineyard.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/b...r-attacks.html

https://www.times24h.com/are-we-wait...to-get-hacked/

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...acked-7347323/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 09:59 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
No worries... the Administration is on it.

Jan. 2021- Biden’s order could let China control U.S. electric grid

Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
What are we paying our piece of crap government for? The biggest "intelligence agencies" in history and they cant do a gd dm thing right but investigate nooses and spy on their ex's.

We better pass some new black hole budget to fight this threat (with lots of pork and irs agents)

Old 06-08-2021, 10:26 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
It's not that easy to protect your IT assets. Even the best in the business can still get hacked. Social engineering tactics can be quite effective.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:54 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Response: Opinion

If one is to worry about hacks coming to a family near you it's already here.
We have been all hacked. We are all monitored.

Limit the damages.

Limit your time online. Keep your public profile private.

Limit your on line exposure. Do things the old fashion way.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:34 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I think it will take something more serious, sort of like a 9/11 event, to wake everyone up and realize that we can no longer take cyber security for granted anymore.

The experts have know for many years now that we are vulnerable, and it keeps them up at night. But the vast majority of Americans don’t worry at all. They will someday, that’s a given.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Are we waiting for everyone to get hacked, yes. We should have acted fast more swiftly with Russia over the oil pipeline ransomware attack. To me it is similar to an act of war and should be treated as such. Why, it is economic terrorism.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:25 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I think it will take something more serious, sort of like a 9/11 event, to wake everyone up and realize that we can no longer take cyber security for granted anymore.

The experts have know for many years now that we are vulnerable, and it keeps them up at night. But the vast majority of Americans don’t worry at all. They will someday, that’s a given.
That should have been the pipeline case. It wasn't. I honestly think that this is one of the things that Trump set us back with. Russia is not an ally. They are more or less enemies who look dke rhetoric right opportunity to strike like a snake. They did.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:09 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Reducing internet use is like reducing car use. Both are inevitable, but reducing now is difficult since the infrastructure of the internet and cars are sunk costs that squeezed out other options we had before internet and cars.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:10 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,096 times
That's what happens when you still use Windows 95 with the password "admin" (without quotation marks)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies