Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 07:07 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
You aren't using logic, quite simply.

Masks DON'T do a SINGLE thing to stop viruses. They don't slow it down, they don't stop it, they don't do ANYTHING!

I don't know why it's so hard for people to understand this simple, scientific facts. Even Fauci said it himself.

You're not more virtuous because you wear a mask. You simply are blocking your own airways.

You're vaccinated. There will ALWAYS be other viruses. You have an immune system. You really should see a psychiatrist if you think you need to wear a mask right now. And by your logic, you should be wearing it for the rest of your breathing days.

Listen to even the CDC today. Stop denying science.
The most compelling evidence that masks, combined with social distancing and hand hygiene, reduce the spread of viruses is the worldwide drop in the incidence of influenza. There are observational studies showing that they work for the coronavirus, too.

Masks do not "block your airways". Plenty of videos on the net showing that oxygen levels do not drop when wearing a mask and carbon dioxide levels do not go up, even when exercising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I have provided links to medical studies and posted comments trying to inform people that those cloth and paper masks are ineffective, and yet, some people cling to the notion that masks work.

I get it at some level, because when you wear a mask you can feel that some of your breath is being filtered, so it must be doing something. But science steps in to show you that masks do not filter out the virus.

Wear a mask, breath onto a mirror, and it fogs up, so the mask is not even filtering out the tiny droplets people are always claiming it does. Wear a mask with glasses, they fog up, because the masks don't work.

If someone is infected, wearing a mask and breathing in an indoor area, then the area around them will be saturated with the virus, and if you are in that cloud of virus, your mask will not filter out the virus.
Are you holding the mirror six feet from your face? A properly fitted mask will not fog glasses.

Masks are intended to be used with social distancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,816 times
Quote:
Of course the reason your glasses fog up is the mask is not being worn properly. Even if the mask is worn properly it cannot filter out the tiny virus.

Just read the World Health Organization's 2019 study, which found that:

Ten RCTs were included in meta-analysis, and there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

In clinical research, randomized controlled trials (RCTs) are the best way to study the safety and efficacy of new treatments. RCTs are used to answer patient-related questions and are required by governmental regulatory bodies as the basis for approval decisions.

So ten of the best types of studies we can do, showed that masks don't work. How much more can I say, to let people know that masks do not protect you from coronavirus?

Fauci knew this, which is why in March, he said no one should be walking around wearing a mask. Then people started to freak out, because there was a virus coming and we had no protection. So then, Fauci decided to tell us all to wear masks. It was a placebo to get very frightened people to go out in public and buy food, perform essential duties, etc...
You keep posting this review of studies and I have to keep telling you to actually read what the studies tested.
They put people in an enclosed environment - some were dorms, some were homes. They tested mask alone (no proper hygiene) and hygiene alone no masks. Neither were effective. Together, they were effective. If you confine someone in an environment covered in virus particles, at some point they are going to infect themselves (with or without a mask). It wasn't that the masks did not work. It was the fact that they infected themselves through fomite transmission.
The masks work to stop airborne transmission. The hand washing works to stop fomite transmission. Together, they stopped the transmission of the virus. Alone, neither stopped the transmission.
Additionally:
"Some published studies noted that poor adherence to hand hygiene may lead to underestimation of the true effect of the intervention"
"One study reported a significant reduction in laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in contacts in the face mask and hand hygiene group in the subset of households where the intervention was applied within 36 hours of symptom onset"
SARS COV2 has low fomite transmission. I believe there was a Japanese tracing study that said 1 in 10000 cases by fomite.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Here are some interesting quotes from that study:

Quote:
however, they reported a significant reduction in ILI if the mask was worn with good compliance in a secondary analysis (48).
Quote:
The authors reported no significant difference in ILI and laboratory-confirmed influenza in these three randomized groups; however, they observed a significant reduction in ILI in the combined face mask and hand hygiene intervention group during the latter half of the study period in a secondary analysis.
Quote:
One study reported a significant reduction in laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in contacts in the face mask and hand hygiene group in the subset of households where the intervention was applied within 36 hours of symptom onset in the index case (24).
Quote:
While respirators should provide better protection against respiratory infections compared to face masks because of their higher filtration efficiency, a household randomized controlled study showed no difference in their effect on ILIs and laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infection (48). One issue is that respirators require fit testing for optimal performance, but fit testing facilities are not widely available in the community.
The last one is particularly interesting, as simple logic would dictate that an N95 would pass many of the 'breathe' tests mentioned, however, it just goes to show that it's not necessarily the inefficiency of the mask, it's the improper fit/use of the mask that's the broader issue. Now from an epidemiological perspective, one might treat the two effects similarly, as they are likely to have a similar broad based outcome, which is reasonable. But I think it's important, if one is going to gain an understanding of what is really happening at the individual level, to go beyond summaries.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:30 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It’s a real thing..I waited the full 2 weeks after my 2nd shot and still I felt weird walking into a store with no mask. I wore it into Target and saw about half were not wearing them, then the grocery store I didn’t wear it and it was great. Now I don’t think about it. These people are just in a habit. I see no reason to mock them.

Exactly...mocking will do no good. The mask mandate just ended in California and covid numbers are great, but some will be extra cautious (me and elderly mom included) and want to wait and see if the numbers increase the next 2 weeks or not as some think it is still too early to fully open up depending on vaccination levels (some are delaying vaccination for their reasons too just like some not wanting to take off masks) and if any outbreaks of variants occur putting all at risk. Everyone will get back to normalcy at different rates. It may be an on/off switch for some...for others, will be like a dimmer switch...slowly getting brighter...not everybody is the same.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:44 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Exactly...mocking will do no good. The mask mandate just ended in California and covid numbers are great, but some will be extra cautious (me and elderly mom included) and want to wait and see if the numbers increase the next 2 weeks or not as some think it is still too early to fully open up depending on vaccination levels (some are delaying vaccination for their reasons too just like some not wanting to take off masks) and if any outbreaks of variants occur putting all at risk. Everyone will get back to normalcy at different rates. It may be an on/off switch for some...for others, will be like a dimmer switch...slowly getting brighter...not everybody is the same.
Oh come on, mocking may be over the top but certainly a bit of good natured ribbing is ok

This Friday (this post on on Thu) will mark 2 full weeks since I've worn a mask. This is more due to stores pretty uniformly relaxing their mask policies as I will only wear a mask if I absolutely have to (despite what one might think of me based on my previous post on the mask study). It's awesome. Just the other day I was walking out of the grocery store sans mask and an, um, attractive member of the opposite sex passed by me with mask on. I gave them a big smile and it was cool because I could see their eyes narrow and cheekbones raised, they were smiling back. Really do miss that level of interaction in every day life.

On a final, and somewhat on topic note, mask usage is roughly 50% anecdotally in the places I frequent. I had assumed that once the mask requirements were eased, that a lot of the folks that I saw wearing their masks below their noses or that were laughingly loose would nearly disappear as I was assuming that those folks wore their masks that way because they had to so choose not to really care. Lo and behold, there is still a significant number of non nose covered, tied tshirt around their head mask wearers! LOL!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:48 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Oh come on, mocking may be over the top but certainly a bit of good natured ribbing is ok

This Friday (this post on on Thu) will mark 2 full weeks since I've worn a mask. This is more due to stores pretty uniformly relaxing their mask policies as I will only wear a mask if I absolutely have to (despite what one might think of me based on my previous post on the mask study). It's awesome. Just the other day I was walking out of the grocery store sans mask and an, um, attractive member of the opposite sex passed by me with mask on. I gave them a big smile and it was cool because I could see their eyes narrow and cheekbones raised, they were smiling back. Really do miss that level of interaction in every day life.

On a final, and somewhat on topic note, mask usage is roughly 50% anecdotally in the places I frequent. I had assumed that once the mask requirements were eased, that a lot of the folks that I saw wearing their masks below their noses or that were laughingly loose would nearly disappear as I was assuming that those folks wore their masks that way because they had to so choose not to really care. Lo and behold, there is still a significant number of non nose covered, tied tshirt around their head mask wearers! LOL!

Yep...was annoying how many Americans wear the masks wrong...not above the nose lol. Saw that a lot too! Will see what the covid numbers are like the next 2 weeks and act accordingly...looking forward to loosening things up some...will see. Just like people still waiting on vaccines for whatever reasons they have...

Old 06-18-2021, 09:35 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33347937/

It's tighter than a chainlink fence.

Frankly it's time for non-scientific responses to be hidden/removed.

The Fauci video (the reason was that all the masks were bought up by the Chinese and there werent enough for non-Medical people, and the advice changed a month later anyway) is not an excuse for people to continue to deny the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Do you THINK putting up a chainlink fence to keep out the mosquitos work?

Do you THINK that Fauci didn't know what he was talking about a year ago? Do you not THINK he understood how masks and viruses worked at that point, after spending 45 years as a virologist?

Do you not THINK that the media and political objectives understood that masks can be a powerful virtue signal and placebo to allow them to say they are "doing something" and to attack Trump with?

Who's not thinking, me or you?

Do you simply disagree with the scientific studies I just posted that say masks simply CANNOT work?

Why do you think they print on the box of masks that they are not for stopping viral transmission?

any answers?

Last edited by Vicman; 06-18-2021 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 09:39 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

The Fauci video (the reason was that all the masks were bought up by the Chinese and the advice changed a month later anyway) is not an excuse for people to continue to deny the truth.
Yes, anti-science posts like yours should be removed. There are decades of research into aerosolized viruses that prove forcing the general, healthy public to wear useless cloth masks is totally pointless.

The political hacks in the government and our "public health agencies" threw all the actual science out the window because orange man bad.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:29 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

The Fauci video (the reason was that all the masks were bought up by the Chinese and there werent enough for non-Medical people, and the advice changed a month later anyway) is not an excuse for people to continue to deny the truth.
Much as I feel and sympathize with your frustration, if we do that, we're as bad as Facebook and Twitter.

We are drowning in mass stupidity across the political spectrum and there's no quick solution that will stand the test of ethical, principled durability. We can, however, take comfort in the knowledge that intelligent independent thinkers are not susceptible to it and thus it is, to a significant degree, self limiting.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:58 AM

18 posts, read 5,251 times
Nothing is as bad as facebook!! (Not even twitter)

Yes stupidity caused by people who have let themselves rely on the system... They are geting walked all over and controlled and they are bringing us down with them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies