Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:21 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,399,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So I wonder if that gets them by the drive time limit. A driver has to rest every what? 8 hours? 12 hours? One could suggest that if it's self-driving that it could allow the driver to not be driving for part of that time and up it to 16 hours.

Or...one can speculate that with a company like JB Hunt, a computer can drive better than their drivers.
I think that’s okay. I would like a maximum speed limit for trucks and they never leave the slow lane. So the max speed could be 60 MPH and when one truck goes that fast all trucks behind it form a convoy doing exactly that speed. There would be no need to ever interact with a truck again.

It could be difficult on mountains but for a good portion of flat America this would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 06:30 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I can envision lots of law suits with these self driving vehicles..just a few mistakes per truck and the company could go bankrupt.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They are still manned. It's not like no one is in the driver seat.
So if a guy has to sit there and get paid, what is the benefit?

Old 06-11-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
So if a guy has to sit there and get paid, what is the benefit?
To do test runs for the day there isn’t a guy inside. To avoid the lawsuits until it is thoroughly tested. Also what is the point of autopilot on a plane when you have two people in the cockpit?

Old 06-11-2021, 06:43 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Speaking as a degree holder in Logistics/Transportation, and an experienced trucker (dispatcher), the near-perfect "proving ground" for self-driving heavy trucks already exists, but not in Texas; it's in northern Ohio and Indiana, between Chicagoland (Hammond, IN), Akron (Richfield) and Youngstown (Lordstown).

Interstates 80 and 90 between these points is flat and relatively straight, and the managers of the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road have long taken advantage of this by permitting (at higher toll rates) the operation of longer and heavier tractor-trailer rigs -- not the 23- and 28-foot "pups", but two units of 40 feet or more -- which we referred to as "trains" in my dispatching days.

It also should be noted that although trailer (box) length has grown from 40- to 45-, 48-, and now 53-foot units, rules on the toll roads have been liberalized somewhat, but some pf the longer and heavier combinations are still verboten, or limited to daylight operation only.

https://www.ohioturnpike.org/truckers

Looking ahead, it's possible that safety concerns might argue for construction of a parallel highway, dedicated exclusively to self-driving freight, but I wouldn't expect too much of this, given a slimmed-down-and-standardized rail industry's post-1985 success in recapturing a substantial share of long-distance intermodal traffic.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-11-2021 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-11-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
To do test runs for the day there isn’t a guy inside. To avoid the lawsuits until it is thoroughly tested. Also what is the point of autopilot on a plane when you have two people in the cockpit?
I saw people sitting in a test vehicle and watched as the car hit people.. what good is that?

Old 06-11-2021, 06:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Yes. Right now drivers are in place for backup. There are six levels of autonomous driving. This technology is around level 2 or 3.
More like Level 3 or 4, certainly not Level 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I guess we'll find out.

It's telling that Elon Musk has abandoned LIDAR, which is what is currently used in self-driving vehicles and alert systems on consumer vehicles.

He says LIDAR is inefficient, ineffective and unreliable.

He wants to use RADAR, which you could. It doesn't have to be active.
He's also abandoned RADAR and wants to use a pure vision only based system. BTW, the fact that the RADAR could be passive would be of no use since on a AD vehicle, you'd want it active all the time (unless you wanted to get clever and only activate it when you 'think' there might be an object ahead and you want the radar to verify it, but that type of system would still be likely to make Tesla type vision errors).

IMHO he made the LIDAR call too soon as modern solid state LIDAR has made it significantly cheaper and more reliable. Good luck with vision only, I'm always reminded of the Wile E Coyote cartoon where the Roadrunner paints a tunnel entrance on the side of the mountain and the Wile E runs full steam into it.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I saw people sitting in a test vehicle and watched as the car hit people.. what good is that?
If we considered the opinions of people like you we would be wishing for faster horses.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:48 AM

11,477 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Self driving vehicles are the future, like it or not.

People mistakenly believe that self-driving trucks will cause an increase in accidents, and fatailities. They are wrong.

There will be deaths and injuries from failures of self-driving trucks. The level of deaths and injuries will be far below those today from DUI and fatigued drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

Mark my words.

Self-driving vehicles are nothing to fear. They are the future anyway, so ready or not, here they come.

Old 06-11-2021, 07:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,264,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Self driving vehicles are the future, like it or not.

People mistakenly believe that self-driving trucks will cause an increase in accidents, and fatailities. They are wrong.

There will be deaths and injuries from failures of self-driving trucks. The level of deaths and injuries will be far below those today from DUI and fatigued drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

Mark my words.

Self-driving vehicles are nothing to fear. They are the future anyway, so ready or not, here they come.
I, for one, welcome our new autonomous vehicle overlords!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies