Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I'm a Libertarian and I favor small government. I'm certainly not a Democrat, so don't call me a leftist.

I'm sincerely curious:

Conservatives frequently base their opposition to spending on Amtrak and other mass transit on a desire for a free market in transportation, and they claim that government shouldn't spend money on a transportation service that loses money.

However, they so often favor increasing spending on highways and airports (and even subsidies to airlines, after 9/11, in 2020 and for "essential air service"), and even out of general revenues.

Do conservatives not see the inconsistency?
Conservatives have different opinions on different subjects which differs from Democrats who are required to always submit to the views of their Masters. I support mass train transit myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 08:17 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,475,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I never endorsed public funds for airports/airlines..

As far as rail goes.....

Nobody actually wants to ride a train for any real distance.

All the inconvenience and hassle of flying without the speed.
The concept is to promote high speed rail, not the chug-a-lug rail you are thinking of.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I'm a Libertarian and I favor small government. I'm certainly not a Democrat, so don't call me a leftist.

I'm sincerely curious:

Conservatives frequently base their opposition to spending on Amtrak and other mass transit on a desire for a free market in transportation, and they claim that government shouldn't spend money on a transportation service that loses money.

However, they so often favor increasing spending on highways and airports (and even subsidies to airlines, after 9/11, in 2020 and for "essential air service"), and even out of general revenues.

Do conservatives not see the inconsistency?
I'm in Nebraska. The next closest town of a million is 8 hours away by car. Many people commute from one town to another, driving 45-50 miles. Or are farmers that work their own land, but need vehicles to work on the farm.

Why do you believe trains would be a good investment for us?

Rail is great when you're in a city. But when the cities are hundreds of miles apart, it just doesn't make sense.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 AM

2,082 posts, read 926,058 times
California Governor Brown sign the high speed rail to help his union buddies, President Trump saw through that boondoggle and cut off the funding but Slow Joe has returned the funds so the rail to nowhere will continue on the backs of the US taxpayer

Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm in Nebraska. The next closest town of a million is 8 hours away by car. Many people commute from one town to another, driving 45-50 miles. Or are farmers that work their own land, but need vehicles to work on the farm.

Why do you believe trains would be a good investment for us?

Rail is great when you're in a city. But when the cities are hundreds of miles apart, it just doesn't make sense.
Sorry but logic is useless in the presence of liberals. Maybe say you oppose rail until they can provide separate safe space cry pods for trannys and persons of color.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:25 AM

25,865 posts, read 12,901,647 times
Real Conservatives don't like ANY fed gov't spending on anything that is beyond the scope of the Constitution.

Let the private sector handle it, & we'll have better transportation for a lot less money, & with a lot less corruption.

Our federal gov't has us $28.4 Trillion in debt, so I don't trust them to do ANYTHING other than national defense, and I'm beginning to question that too.

Our federal gov't is a near total failure. They can't even protect us from cyber attacks, or from China from buying up our land and companies. Heck, we even buy our voting machines from China.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:06 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,408,203 times
I am not opposed to trains where they make sense to do. However in some cases buses do the job better as far as the discussion of light rail goes. They did light rail in MPLS awhile back and ran it right down one of the main streets in town. It isn’t really any quicker than the bus is and it makes all traffic stop and causes traffic problems. Many people avoid using it as even though the image of light rail is futuristic it still has the same gangbangers and crackheads on it.

Since we are on the subject why do liberals prefer trains and trucks instead of pipelines for our oil? Pipelines have a lower carbon footprint are more efficient and safer.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:11 AM

9,921 posts, read 4,678,883 times
I really don't consider airports infrastructure per say. Unless they want to upgrade to handle military traffic or other federal service not all will benefit the way most of the public could with roads and rail. And alot of those are the state or county responsibility with many private utilities screwing them up. The big users of airport should pay to accommodate them.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:12 AM

45,250 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Real Conservatives don't like ANY fed gov't spending on anything that is beyond the scope of the Constitution.

Let the private sector handle it, & we'll have better transportation for a lot less money, & with a lot less corruption.

Our federal gov't has us $28.4 Trillion in debt, so I don't trust them to do ANYTHING other than national defense, and I'm beginning to question that too.

Our federal gov't is a near total failure. They can't even protect us from cyber attacks, or from China from buying up our land and companies. Heck, we even buy our voting machines from China.
We have this problem of the expectation by the masses that government should be in the market in the first place, and that without a group of inept strangers, boobs, control freaks and criminals in DC we wouldnt have roads, rails, airports, etc.
Thank you government schools.

None of this will change in our lifetimes, in fact it will continue to worsen until the ultimate collapse takes place.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:14 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,408,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I really don't consider airports infrastructure per say. Unless they want to upgrade to handle military traffic or other federal service not all will benefit the way most of the public could with roads and rail. And alot of those are the state or county responsibility with many private utilities screwing them up. The big users of airport should pay to accommodate them.
My husband works in the IT department of Fed Ex. I am not sure you are aware of how much cargo gets transported on airplanes. To deliver anything to anybody requires all three… trains, planes and automobiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies