Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 04:20 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

The deregulation movement was pushed / funded by people who would benefit from deregulation. If they thought the public would benefit, they wouldn’t have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 04:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The deregulation movement was pushed / funded by people who would benefit from deregulation. If they thought the public would benefit, they wouldn’t have done it.
Actually they're neutral on whether the public benefits.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:11 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Yeah, nothing here has been convincing.

The resounding response has been regulation acts as a barrier to new entry but:

1. Transportation, data, etc. are by all means a public good so how exactly could they exist unregulated?

2. Not all regulation equates to red tape.

Old 06-14-2021, 04:34 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I hear this from republicans/conservatives all the time, but there is never a substantive answer as to why.

Even without a degree in business, it is common sense that Big fish eat little fish.

The bigger company, without restraints, will have access to better suppliers, better prices, better lawyers, and will beat out the competition.

Yeah their are specific industries (in their infancy) like aerospace (space travel), microchips, and a few others that do better with small firms, but that is because of how fast moving those industries are.

Most of the economy is stagnant or slow moving, there is no genius invention around the corner ready to throw a wrench into the competition.

So why, not including government intervention/regulations, would less regulation lead to more competition?

And btw I am not saying competition is good, I think this country fetishizes competition, but that is besides the point.

So why do you as a republican believe this if it goes against all common sense?
Hi my name is Henry Ford.

Have you heard of me? Heard of the Selden patent?

Old 06-14-2021, 04:51 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Republicans are the ones who are blanketly against regulation.

"GOVERNMENT STAY OUT OF BUSINESS" they scream.

So I ask, by what logic does deregulation lead to more competition? Please answer this question.

Source?

Old 06-14-2021, 05:01 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:
I hear this from republicans/conservatives all the time, but there is never a substantive answer as to why.

Even without a degree in business, it is common sense that Big fish eat little fish.

The bigger company, without restraints, will have access to better suppliers, better prices, better lawyers, and will beat out the competition.

Yeah their are specific industries (in their infancy) like aerospace (space travel), microchips, and a few others that do better with small firms, but that is because of how fast moving those industries are.

Most of the economy is stagnant or slow moving, there is no genius invention around the corner ready to throw a wrench into the competition.

So why, not including government intervention/regulations, would less regulation lead to more competition?

And btw I am not saying competition is good, I think this country fetishizes competition, but that is besides the point.

Deregulation gives more companies with more opportunity to innovate. Both of those give the consumer more and better choices at a better prices. Where republicans go wrong is allowing industries like airlines and telecom to consolidate. We need to break up the large airlines and telecom companies.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:31 AM

11,407 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Jimmy Carter deregulated the beer industry in 1979. At the time, there were only a couple of dozen beer manufacturers like Annheiser-Busch, Miller Brewing Co., Pabst, Joseph Schlitz, Adolph Coors, Olympia, etc. Today, there are THOUSANDS of craft beer companies, many nationally successful.

I am not saying this is the biggest impact deragulation has every had. I just thought this makes for a crystal clear example of how competition explodes when regulations are minimized, and how it benefits the consumer.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:55 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Jimmy Carter deregulated the beer industry in 1979. At the time, there were only a couple of dozen beer manufacturers like Annheiser-Busch, Miller Brewing Co., Pabst, Joseph Schlitz, Adolph Coors, Olympia, etc. Today, there are THOUSANDS of craft beer companies, many nationally successful.

I am not saying this is the biggest impact deragulation has every had. I just thought this makes for a crystal clear example of how competition explodes when regulations are minimized, and how it benefits the consumer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Hi my name is Henry Ford.

Have you heard of me? Heard of the Selden patent?
It is against common sense. Regulation that has safety and environmental standards means higher quality.

There are different types of regulations, the aforementioned and regulation that targets large companies.

Because again, the big fish will always eat the little fish.

Old 06-14-2021, 06:11 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
It is against common sense. Regulation that has safety and environmental standards means higher quality.

There are different types of regulations, the aforementioned and regulation that targets large companies.

Because again, the big fish will always eat the little fish.
Not true. Are you ignoring all the food recalls put out DAILY ?

Big companies are big proponents of complex, expensive regulations because it prevents any competition.
When there is no competition then they can charge what they want, lower their standards, etc.

But government and companies have convinced so many people that without regulations you will die in one form or another.

Here..take a gander.....arsenic in baby food, salmonella in pet food, listeria in organic mushrooms, etc.
So much for your "safety and higher quality".

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-m...-safety-alerts

Old 06-14-2021, 06:35 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:

Regulation raises costs. Lowering costs causes more to enter that filed.
Competition is good. It lowers cost and raises quality. Plus it gives we the people more options.

This is all basic. How in the world do you not know this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies