Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 05:35 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Sure but only for 2 years then the centrist comes in. And unlike Bibi I bet Bennett will keep his word on the rotation agreement.
That's if a government holds for two years. Likud and some of the other far right parties aren't going to play ball, I wager, and will do anything they can to see the new government fail and force elections to be held anew; Bib has already stated as much. Even if the government holds until the shift, how long do you expect the ultra right parties that are part of the government to allow the "centrist" to govern?

I don't know the answers to this, clearly, but I'm not as confident as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Assuming none of the charges stick.
We shall see what happens there.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I heard that this new PM is the first to have an Arab coalition in the Israeli Knesset (Israel's version of Parliament or Congress).

The next time the various Arab groups around Israel attack it, will the Arab coalition in the Knesset try to force the new PM to treat them nicely instead of fighting back as he should? And if he fights back, will the Arab coalition drop their support of him, causing him to get kicked out?
This is precisely why the government is destined to fail, IMO. Bennett and his counterparts say they will not focus on contentious issues for the duration of their term, but that's an all but certain impossibility in Israel.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:37 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's if a government holds for two years. Likud and some of the other far right parties aren't going to play ball, I wager, and will do anything they can to see the new government fail and force elections to be held anew; Bib has already stated as much. Even if the government holds until the shift, how long do you expect the ultra right parties that are part of the government to allow the "centrist" to govern?

I don't know the answers to this, clearly, but I'm not as confident as you.
The only thing that even led to the formation of this government was a desire to remove Netanyahu. If it looks like he is in position to ascend again that could well be the same reason that holds the government together. I've never claimed to be certain though, clearly anything could happen.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The only thing that even led to the formation of this government was a desire to remove Netanyahu. If it looks like he is in position to ascend again that could well be the same reason that holds the government together. I've never claimed to be certain though, clearly anything could happen.
True. The wild cards in the new government as far as I'm concerned are the Arab List and some of the smaller religious parties. They have problems with Netanyahu (although the Arab List makes a strange bedfellow with Bennett given Bennett's positions on the issues), but I'd be shocked if the coalition holds for long. Note, if the coalition folds, I'm curious to know if Bennett's and his smaller ultra right party supporters stick with those parties.

Israeli politics fascinate me.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:48 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
this was an election....
...a candidate was elected on a platform

...and that platform was ever further to the right than Bibi ever was

now continue.......

Old 06-13-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
this was an election....
...a candidate was elected on a platform

...and that platform was ever further to the right than Bibi ever was

now continue.......
The thing is, in order to actually govern further to the right than Netanyahu in terms of new policies that require the blessing of the legislature, Bennett almost certainly needs the support of Likud and smaller, aligned parties, as the Arab List won't go along. But when Hamas undoubtedly rears its ugly head and threatens the Jewish homeland, try as Bennett claims he will to avoid contentious issues, he'll be forced to go hard right, which will threaten unilateral pullout by the Arab List or else risk that group being tossed aside by its voter bloc. I'm not sure that Likud and their aligned parties will go along, though.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:58 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,264,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We’ll never know, because Biden came in and upended it. As far as running roughshod over Palestinian interests, they’ve refused peace offerings because they would not recognize Israel’s right to exist at all. After decades of their insistence on pushing Israel off the map, it was time to try a new direction.

Things have deteriorated rapidly under Biden, as he seeks to make nice-nice with the state sponsor of terror, Iran.
Biden just removed more .Iran Sanctions.
Time will tell. We still have no Ambassadors to Israel. That says a lot.

JoeBama is poring money to the Terrorists in Gaza.
We will see how that works out both in Israel and the USA. RADICALS love it of course.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
True. The wild cards in the new government as far as I'm concerned are the Arab List and some of the smaller religious parties. They have problems with Netanyahu (although the Arab List makes a strange bedfellow with Bennett given Bennett's positions on the issues), but I'd be shocked if the coalition holds for long. Note, if the coalition folds, I'm curious to know if Bennett's and his smaller ultra right party supporters stick with those parties.

Israeli politics fascinate me.
Well, if the government lasts for 2 years, then that's already pretty good, given the very fragmented political coalitions of all sorts in it. Should be interesting to watch.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
After 12 years Israel has a new prime minister. Any thoughts of how this might effect the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
I'm glad Netanyahu was booted out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies