Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 07:05 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,438,499 times

Advertisements

NPR says it's not enough for Tom Hanks to not be racist. Also a dig at the actor for playing noble white characters (when according to CRT, there are no noble white characters).

Quote:
For those of us who speak often on these issues, one of the toughest things to do is to go to a white person who is trying hard to be an ally and tell them they need to do more. And I'm sure there are plenty of Hanks fans out there of every stripe who will say I am expecting too much, being ungrateful toward a big star who said more than he had to.

And understand: I'm not saying Hanks, Howard or Spielberg are racist. I'm not even saying that Hanks should have made or supported a film specifically about the Tulsa Race Massacre long before now (though I am astonished that a guy who has been making film and TV projects rooted in American history for at least 25 years didn't find out about Tulsa until 2020.)

But over this summer, in the wake of George Floyd's murder by a white police officer, I spent a lot of time investigating the difference between being non-racist and being anti-racist. Anti-racism implies action – looking around your universe and taking specific steps to dismantle systemic racism.

So I am saying it is time for folks like Hanks to be anti-racist.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/13/10057...be-anti-racist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 07:08 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,716,985 times
I stopped listening and donating to NPR years ago. It's obnoxiously all woke all the time.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,265,434 times
I listened to the whole interview yesterday while it was broadcast. The interviewee was responding to Hanks oped in the nytimes. His point, at least what I got out of it, during the extensive interview, was that hanks has made his name playing roles of the good white guy and hadn’t done enough for promoting or being involved in making movies about stories in black history.
He used examples like private Ryan. He wanted hanks to do more than just write an op Ed criticizing Hollywood’s historical lack of telling these stories.
He said nothing about those parts not being noble.
He actually said the exact opposite- that they were great roles in great movies.
My own opinion is that Hollywood has self corrected. I don’t know if hanks is part of that self correction and that might be the guys point.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I listened to the whole interview yesterday while it was broadcast. The interviewee was responding to Hanks oped in the nytimes. His point, at least what I got out of it, during the extensive interview, was that hanks has made his name playing roles of the good white guy and hadn’t done enough for promoting or being involved in making movies about stories in black history.
He used examples like private Ryan. He wanted hanks to do more than just write an op Ed criticizing Hollywood’s historical lack of telling these stories.
He said nothing about those parts not being noble.
He actually said the exact opposite- that they were great roles in great movies.
My own opinion is that Hollywood has self corrected. I don’t know if hanks is part of that self correction and that might be the guys point.

Maybe the author of the piece should start his own studio to make the movies he wants to see. Kind of like how people who complain about twatter or Facebook are told to start their own platforms.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:43 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,554,576 times
N P R ?

Old 06-16-2021, 07:51 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,265,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Maybe the author of the piece should start his own studio to make the movies he wants to see. Kind of like how people who complain about twatter or Facebook are told to start their own platforms.
The guy is a tv critic, His job is to be a critic.
It is disingenuous and wrong of you to state that the author criticized hanks for playing noble roles. He said the exact opposite and said he loved hanks and the roles he played. He also said nothing about CRT. You have twisted the message to fit your narrative.
I know this because I actually listened to the whole thing from beginning to end while it was being broadcast yesterday afternoon on my drive home.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 AM

13,649 posts, read 4,958,734 times
Quote:
It is disingenuous and wrong of you to state that the author criticized hanks for playing noble roles. He said the exact opposite and said he loved hanks and the roles he played. He also said nothing about CRT. You have twisted the message to fit your narrative.
I know this because I actually listened to the whole thing from beginning to end while it was being broadcast yesterday afternoon on my drive home.
Thanks for setting the record straight

Old 06-16-2021, 07:57 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
Quote:
And as a devoted, brainwashed, NPR listener we should trust your view as unbiased? What he is saying is that it is not enough to be not racist, but preach and promote Anti White Racism 24/7. Yes, they are promoting Racism by trying to force people to preach their anti White mantra.

Hanks is one of the most Left, Progressive, Democrat actors in Hollywood, but I guess he just doesn't lecture us enough.

Your self righteous, sanctimonious tone is duly noted.

Last edited by Pilot1; 06-16-2021 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-16-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Critical Race Theory has inundated all discussions of race, at least when being discussed by progressives. Forgive me, but when the author of the piece made positive comments about Hank and his films, I can't help but wonder if it was a backhanded compliment. Maybe a microaggression?

Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And as a devoted, brainwashed, NPR listener we should trust your view as unbiased? What he is saying is that it is not enough to be just not racist, but preach and promote Anti White Racism 24/7. Yes, they are promoting Racism by trying to force people to preach their anti White mantra.

Hanks is one of the most Left, Progressive, Democrat actors in Hollywood, but I guess he just doesn't lecture us enough.

Your self righteous, sanctimonious tone is duly noted.
He is, so it's a bit of schadenfreude to see him attacked by one of his own. In all this it will be entertaining to watch the left go after each other and try to out woke each other, in the hopes that they won't be denounced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies