Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 08:15 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,263,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No. But anyone with any sense of decency were. Is obscenity the message that gays want to portray? Waltzing around naked? I thought it was all about wholesome love for whomever you choose. And normalizing homosexuality. Parading around naked and painted is not the best way to go about being accepted by society on the whole. But then, I suspect that acceptance and normalization is really not the motivation, is it?
This topic was gays who are cringing. I was asking if, in fact, the self identified group of gays were the cringers, as the OP stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 08:17 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,426,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
This topic was gays who are cringing. I was asking if, in fact, the self identified group of gays were the cringers, as the OP stated.
I’m gay and I’ve never been to a gay pride parade. I don’t get the reason for them certainly in modern times at least.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:17 AM

25,852 posts, read 18,882,275 times
Quote:

I'm sure some were. The ones with any sense of morals, that is.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,972,141 times
I guess they are "Proud Boys."

Don't say that though! You'll get into trouble with the speech nazis!

Old 06-15-2021, 08:19 AM

374 posts, read 258,423 times
I think there's little denying that Pride has been quite beneficial to the LGBT+ community over the decades to help normalize something that honestly should have been considered normal this entire time. That being said, as someone who identifies as asexual (or possibly just demisexual), I find Pride to be rather nauseating in today's age and perpetuated by a business market that knows it can make a killing on people who demand time to grandstand and brag about something they were born as. Like I'm all for people being comfortable and open about who/what they are, but if Pride were instead about the color of your skin or your height or any other arbitrary trait it'd be just as nauseating. Instead, Pride should be focused on helping those who are still being prejudiced and discriminated against in places like school or the workplace and not just an excuse for people to strut about bragging about something they were born as.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
Quote:
From what I am seeing this month, with the people I know, is that some of their children and friends are coming out and having a conversation about what being gay means to them and how it has effected their lives for good or bad. Some have confessed suicidal thoughts, some have introduced same sex partners to family members. It seems to be less about overt sexuality and having real conversations concerning the feelings behind it (non sexual) and asking for acceptance and love from family and friends.
Saying your gay or ***** is one thing. Having a difficult conversation with people who are important and may not understand or approve is a whole different level of humanity.
I’d much rather Pride be about making young gays comfortable enough to come out in this era than watching grown men dancing naked down the street in silver paint.

I attended Pride in SF for decades. It got to be too much for even me, a rather ribald individual. I think it’s time to re-think Pride and how it can change with the times to remain a positive event that is based more on inclusion and less on letting your freak flag fly. Just my opinion.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:23 AM

38,007 posts, read 22,193,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
I know a few. They pretty much say who you like to sleep with is nobody's business, and introducing these topics to children should be stopped right now.
Like so much that the very loud minority put out there, the vast majority of the nation does not promote this crap. It's a tiny anti-cop Marxist minority who want to defund the police, teach CRT and transexualism to our K-12 children, etc...

Most of us just want to live our private lives and not air out out laundry in public.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:24 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
June one of my favorite months has been blanketed with rainbows and rainbow flags. Its all very cringe
And you have a problem with rainbows?.....Or just because the "Gays" are now them?

It's a rhetorical question, no slash is meant against you......... and I am not too thrilled that they have taken over the rainbow for their own.

As I say, I'm of the Bailey Quarters generation! I have my coffee mugs with unicorns and rainbows, I had my black light poster of "Building a Rainbow" https://render.fineartamerica.com/im...-chris-mac.jpg , I have my bandanas of rainbows and unicorns, my wind socks and window decals for the sun to shine through and when Mom passed on, I grabbed the rainbow coffee mug she had before any of my gay relatives could get their hands on it.

For me, back then, it was of happiness and joy and nothing political associated with it.

But now, others have grabbed it for their own and they really don't care to hear my objections to that.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-15-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-15-2021, 08:24 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,263,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I’m gay and I’ve never been to a gay pride parade. I don’t get the reason for them certainly in modern times at least.
Thanks for posting.
Do you find pride month cringe worthy?
Everyone I talk to is telling me they are discussing with their loved ones. I’m in the category also. Someone I love told me why their marriage feel apart and now I have a clearer understanding and level of acceptance of both partners. I had misplaced blame that was not fair.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And you have a problem with rainbows?.....Or just because the "Gays" are now them?

It's a rhetorical question, no slash is meant against you......... and I am not too thrilled that they have taken over the rainbow for their own.

As I say, I'm of the Bailey Quarters generation! I have my coffee mugs with unicorns and rainbows, I had my black light poster of "Building a Rainbow" https://render.fineartamerica.com/im...-chris-mac.jpg , I have my bandanas of rainbows and unicorns, my wind socks and window decals for the sun to shin through and when Mom passed on, I grabbed the rainbow coffee mug she had before any of my gay relatives could get their hands on it.

For me, back then, it was of happiness and joy and nothing political associated with it.

But now, others have grabbed it for their own and they really don't care to hear my objections to that.
I'm not too into rainbows. I think only one shirt I own has one and that I got because it was Deadpool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies