Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 08:28 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
I think there's little denying that Pride has been quite beneficial to the LGBT+ community over the decades to help normalize something that honestly should have been considered normal this entire time. That being said, as someone who identifies as asexual (or possibly just demisexual), I find Pride to be rather nauseating in today's age and perpetuated by a business market that knows it can make a killing on people who demand time to grandstand and brag about something they were born as. Like I'm all for people being comfortable and open about who/what they are, but if Pride were instead about the color of your skin or your height or any other arbitrary trait it'd be just as nauseating. Instead, Pride should be focused on helping those who are still being prejudiced and discriminated against in places like school or the workplace and not just an excuse for people to strut about bragging about something they were born as.
Actually being gay isn't "normal." That would be heterosexuality which the vast majority of people are. Being gay certainly isn't the "norm."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 08:29 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
From what I am seeing this month, with the people I know, is that some of their children and friends are coming out and having a conversation about what being gay means to them and how it has effected their lives for good or bad. Some have confessed suicidal thoughts, some have introduced same sex partners to family members. It seems to be less about overt sexuality and having real conversations concerning the feelings behind it (non sexual) and asking for acceptance and love from family and friends.
Saying your gay or ***** is one thing. Having a difficult conversation with people who are important and may not understand or approve is a whole different level of humanity.
No one can be forced to accept another, as in like them. As soon as everyone realizes that we'll get along better. Society tolerates they don't have to like.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:29 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
I know a few. They pretty much say who you like to sleep with is nobody's business, and introducing these topics to children should be stopped right now.
My fiance has a gay nephew who is a law student at Columbia University. He is a far left who doesn't like the gay Pride stuff. Yeah it happens.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Thanks for posting.
Do you find pride month cringe worthy?
Everyone I talk to is telling me they are discussing with their loved ones. I’m in the category also. Someone I love told me why their marriage feel apart and now I have a clearer understanding and level of acceptance of both partners. I had misplaced blame that was not fair.
Not the poster you are reply to but I'll bite. I don't like ___ month or _____ day because shouldn't we do that everyday? I hate hate hate Valentine's Day because most people use it as a game and seemingly don't show love the rest of the year. Hell I'm not even big on birthdays... We should celebrate it everyday.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:31 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm sure some were. The ones with any sense of morals, that is.
How are you sure?

Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
People do care, but not in the right way. Remember the Pulse nightclub shooting? Transwomen are murdered at a high rate. There are far too many acts of violence against LGBTQIA+ people. Look at all the new laws outlawing playing sports or allowing doctors to discriminate. LGBTQIA+ teens commit suicide at an abominable rate. Teens are homeless because their own parents threw them out. These pride events show these kids that they are not alone and that people do care in the right way. Not the folks on this board obviously, but there are people in their communities that do care what happens to them. It's a way to meet people and make connections in the fight for rights. Activism isn't for everyone, but it's an important issue if you care at all about people.
You are aware people can care without having an agenda being shoved in their face at every turn, and then being told that they are some "phobic" if they don't like it.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not the poster you are reply to but I'll bite. I don't like ___ month or _____ day because shouldn't we do that everyday? I hate hate hate Valentine's Day because most people use it as a game and seemingly don't show love the rest of the year. Hell I'm not even big on birthdays... We should celebrate it everyday.
At Yom Kippur I think about repentance and mistakes and being a better person. I should everyday but I’m glad there is a time set specifically for that purpose.
It feels like pride month is an equivalent. It is literally THE topic of the month for those around me. They are trying to understand and embrace queerness and what it means for their loved ones and themselves.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:38 AM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Link please.
I guess that old article from the satiric newspaper The Onion published in 2001 don't count. https://www.theonion.com/gay-pride-p...bac-1819566014

It's almost as if they predicted it.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No one can be forced to accept another, as in like them. As soon as everyone realizes that we'll get along better. Society tolerates they don't have to like.
Hey everyone want their parents to love and understand them. It’s worth trying to get there.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:41 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
The amount of pride flags is astonishing. Any sexual fetish or identity they have a flag for it. It's no longer about being gay, it's about not being special in life and finding a way for people to think you are special so that the reasons for your failures in life are because people don't approve of your lifestyle. It's kind of turned into something like those earlobe stretching body mod folks that walk around expecting people to pay attention to them and then be mad that they are getting attention "look at me, look at me, what are you looking at??"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies