Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 08:12 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speegleagle View Post
I never heard a word about this new Holiday. It wasn’t taught to me in school, no black person or group ever even mentioned it..
And I grew up in the NYC Metro area. My schools was some of the most diverse schools around.

The trend by this Regime and those falling in line and/or pushing these narratives is fixated on looking backwards. Looking backwards,, navel gazing, then imposing on the American people to accept it.
If only the time and energy was used to recognize the present could progress be possible. The present reality of generational poverty, out of wedlock births , crime and violence , despair and indifference.

Ending most or all of that, that would be worth Celebrating..

Same here....i'm in a 7mill + metropolis...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 08:14 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
I never heard a word about this new Holiday. It wasn’t taught to me in school, no black person or group ever even mentioned it..
And I grew up in the NYC Metro area. My schools was some of the most diverse schools around.
It's a Texas holiday, why would you have heard about it? You probably didn't hear about "Go Texan Day" either

Old 06-17-2021, 08:20 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Shhhh.....they don’t teach that there were free blacks throughout half the country, including affluent ones.
Wrong again. Now I'm really suspect of the school you went to.

Quote:
Black people....are you listening to me? You have validity with this holiday, but after a year of being inundated with this stuff, it’s just getting lost with the rest of it.
Or maybe it's that the people that are most opposed to Juneteenth, who can't comprehend the concept of racial biases, or who are constantly bringing up whataboutism, aren't really listening.

Quote:
(Libs always go to extremes and out words in other people’s mouth.) I’m saying the entire situation should be taught - that there were both enslaved and free blacks.
Says the person who believes that the fact that there were free blacks in the country pre-1863 has never been taught in schools.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:21 AM

929 posts, read 304,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
It's a Texas holiday, why would you have heard about it? You probably didn't hear about "Go Texan Day" either
If I didn’t hear about it, along with millions of others that didn’t. , that makes me believe it is not important..

I guess I could go along with it if they put all the statues back up they ripped down. Maybe put the. Artwork back on display. Sitting on the floor in the back room, or painted over..
If you want to celebrate history show all history to Celebrate..

Old 06-17-2021, 08:25 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,557,261 times
Quote:
If I didn’t hear about it, along with millions of others that didn’t. , that makes me believe it is not important.
Well it really isn't important nationally, that's why it was just a Texas holiday.

I wouldn't expect anyone outside of Texas to celebrate Texas independence day either.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:26 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
But it is okay to remove statues of famous people who made America great? You are just substitution one form of racism for another.
That depends on which "famous people" you're talking about. Were they Confederates? Then yes. Absolutely. Because they were trying to LEAVE America, not make it great. Were they NOT Confederates but owned slaves? No, but there should be at least a plague explaining why they are controversial. And why what they did, no matter how accepted it was at the time, is now not acceptable in the cold light of reason.

Regardless, unequivocally, slavery was wrong on EVERY level and the day this country woke up and realized that should be ...if not celebrated, recognized (I don't want to say celebrated because realizing that human beings should be treated like human beings and not property after a LOOOONG time of doing so is not something to have celebrated).

Old 06-17-2021, 08:26 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Same here....i'm in a 7mill + metropolis...

It's been "a thing" in Colorado (or at least in Denver) for years.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:27 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong again. Now I'm really suspect of the school you went to.

Trump University.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
now they are going to make up holidays for everything - "the day old Joe got his tractor" and "the day that old Mike got his 30 acres and a mule" and "the day that they raided that train" and "the day to celebrate the 100th person to cross over thru the underground railroad" and "the day that ____" how about the day that someone fell off the boat coming from Europe, or the day that was 90 degrees in the shade, or the day that corn relish was created,

it can be crazy.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:30 AM

929 posts, read 304,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Well it really isn't important nationally, that's why it was just a Texas holiday.

I wouldn't expect anyone outside of Texas to celebrate Texas independence day either.
With this Regime who knows what they will come up with next.

Good thing they didn’t get their dream of removing Trump from Office they would have made it a National Holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies