Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 11:41 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Of course they are - it's just deflection by folks who don't want to see a Juneteenth holiday.
The white supremacist have sure self identified on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 11:42 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I see no issue celebrating the end of slavery in the United States. My question-why don't we do so? "Juneteenth" was NOT the end of slavery in the US, just one small milestone. Slavery still existed in "the North", it was legal in any state that did not secede with the CSA, and remained so until the passing of the 13th Amendment in December of 1865. Until that time it was still practiced in Kentucky and Delaware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirte...ecember%201865.

Wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate the end of slavery in the US on December 18th, when the 13th Amendment was "proclaimed", ending slavery across the United States, than on a date when it ended in just one random state?

https://whyy.org/articles/juneteenth...laware-slaves/

Quote:
But because Delaware was a border state between the North and South, Lincoln’s order did not apply to slaves in the First State. The last complete census in 1860 found 1,900 people living in slavery in Delaware. Most of those were in southern Delaware’s rural Sussex County, although smaller numbers were held throughout the state. Those still held in slavery on June 19 would not be freed until December of 1865 when the 13th Amendment was ratified.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I see no issue celebrating the end of slavery in the United States. My question-why don't we do so? "Juneteenth" was NOT the end of slavery in the US, just one small milestone. Slavery still existed in "the North", it was legal in any state that did not secede with the CSA, and remained so until the passing of the 13th Amendment in December of 1865. Until that time it was still practiced in Kentucky and Delaware.

Wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate the end of slavery in the US on December 18th, when the 13th Amendment was "proclaimed", than on a date when it ended in just one random state?
I wouldn't presume to tell ADOS' which date should be more important to them. Seems like Juneteenth was the de facto choice.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:46 AM

43,090 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Completely fake holiday, nobody even talked about or heard about it until last year.
Not fake. It's been a Texas holiday since 1979.

You see it took 2 years for word to reach Texas that the slaves were freed.
June 1865...is when Texas found out the slaves were freed.

It's been a holiday in Texas since 1979. It's taught in Texas schools. It's been celebrated by Black Texans for the 25 years I lived in Texas.

It's certainly not fake but it seems as if TPTB want to turn Juneteenth into a national holiday.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate the end of slavery in the US on December 18th, when the 13th Amendment was "proclaimed", ending slavery across the United States, than on a date when it ended in just one random state?

Why split hairs? Let Juneteenth be the day to celebrate the end of slavery. Look there are christian sects who disagree on the date December 25th regarding jesus.

It just seems like many of you are just peeved that there is a holiday like this and you are looking for something negative to say about it.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:

Makes complete sense to me, plus the name is ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:57 AM

43,090 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Makes complete sense to me, plus the name is ridiculous.
See they called it Juneteenth because it was celebrated on the 3rd Saturday of June. There was no specific date because no one would be off so it was always the 3rd Saturday...hence Juneteenth.

But not that it's officially June 19 then I guess schools and businesses will get off on that date.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:59 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The white supremacist have sure self identified on this thread.
Appreciate the smiley, but all the Left has are accusations of Racism against Whites. Everything and every White person is racist. It's now meaningless, so is BLM, Systemic Racism and all the other accusations built on LIES pushed by an all too Propagandized MEDIA.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:59 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not fake. It's been a Texas holiday since 1979.

You see it took 2 years for word to reach Texas that the slaves were freed.
June 1865...is when Texas found out the slaves were freed.

It's been a holiday in Texas since 1979. It's taught in Texas schools. It's been celebrated by Black Texans for the 25 years I lived in Texas.

It's certainly not fake but it seems as if TPTB want to turn Juneteenth into a national holiday.
True.

I was celebrating Juneteenth since I was a young boy. My parents would take us to the annual Juneteenth parade in Harlem and we'd read and learn about some of the stories from the era otherwise. Few places actually celebrated the day as a holiday until now, but the significance of the day definitely wasn't lost on everyone.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We need to celebrate that we as a nation found our moral compass and Americans of other races sacrificed their lives to restore the rightful full personhood to those of African descent.
Well no we'll need another holiday for that. "Juneteenth" is solely about the emancipation of American slaves and the acknowledgment of their human rights. It has nothing to do with the Civil War nor the white or free black soldiers who fought for the Union victory. The war didn't free the slaves and it was never necessary anyway.

Keep in mind that slavery wasn't fully abolished until 1866. Juneteenth was originally an informal celebration only practiced by black Texans who weren't even the last slaves to be emancipated, but it has a catchy name and has thus spread in popularity over the years. Most people don't even know the history behind it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies