Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 01:14 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

If Democrats want to commemorate all their past atrocities in America then so be it.

But don’t use these atrocities as an excuse for any poor choice people make today. The “legacy of slavery” did not make you punch an Asian woman, loot that Target, drop out of middle school, or shootout that rival gang. That was your own choice.
Quote:
New York Police Department statistics show crime in New York City was 22 percent higher than in May 2020. The department also reported that shootings are up 73 percent in the past 12 months.
https://www.newsweek.com/most-nyc-de...ercent-1601621
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Maybe you were not taught about the significance of this day in school.

It’s been a Texas state holiday since 1980.
That’s incorrect.

Most Texans (and Americans) had no idea about Juneteenth prior to a couple years ago. It wasn’t even in the history books.

I know this because I’m from Texas.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:19 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

A lot of Blacks never heard of it, either.

Junteenth is so-called because the Emancipation Proclamation did not free the Slaves.

The order to free the Slaves was given in June after the Civil War ended, but it was a verbal order and not a written order.

It is accepted that General Grant gave the order.

Grant's adjutants passed the order to messengers who spread the word on horseback to Union Army units and any passing Slaves they may have met.

Because you didn't exactly have Twitter, it took more than 30 seconds to spread the word.

Word eventually spread throughout the South.

Since no one knows exactly when the order was given, and since Slaves in the South became aware of the order on different days in June, it is referred to as Juneteenth.

Because the North was not occupied, and because there were few Blacks and no slavery, people in the North were not aware of it.

That changed a bit in the post-WW I and WW II Eras as people -- Blacks and Whites -- migrated north in search of jobs, and Blacks brought the tradition with them.

Even so, in cities like Dayton, Ohio, people -- Blacks and Whites -- often looked on with curiosity as Blacks informally celebrated Juneteenth in the local parks or sometimes block parties with other Blacks whose families were from the South.
BS on several counts. First-there were slaves and slavery in the North, and continued to be until the 13th Amendment was ratified and implimented. People in the North knew about it-it's just that they didn't actually care about slavery. The modern attempt to ignore facts, rewrite history and pretend that slavery did not exist in non-Confederate states is just another lie being propagated on the American people. And one a great many Americans are ignorant enough to fall for. Hard to say the Civil War was "about slavery" when the US allowed slavery to exist and continue long after the CSA seceded. It's especially hard to pretend the Emancipation Proclamation "ended slavery" when it did not apply to the United States-it was only a show to apply to what was then an (arguably) independent nation.

I come back to the question-why are we celebrating the ending of slavery in the CSA, but not the United States?

I do give Texas credit for recognizing and celebrating when slavery ended there. I wonder if Delaware will do the same and make December 18th a state holiday as well?

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 06-17-2021 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-17-2021, 01:20 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I do not believe every white person is a racist. I do think that at some point in time we have to take a very good look at ourselves to identify where our warts are so we can tend to them.

My grandfather with his 8th grade education, worked at a NC cotton mill and was an abolitionist. And he taught us when we saw wrong going on to say so. Perhaps that's where I'm centered.

DH's father and grandfather were KKK. They even had the outfits. After 25 years living with them I do know one when I see one. Five of those years were literally in their back yard.

You once called me out for being negative about the USA. And you were right. I need to embrace what we are doing right as well as where we are screwing up.

FWIW, Sojourners has a good piece about Juneteenth today.
And I don’t believe every black person is a racist, either, so we are even there.

But you say “we” (as whites) need to embrace where we are screwing up. I agree. We are far from perfect....but would you also say that blacks should also embrace where THEY are screwing up? Because from everything I hear from liberals, all problems among the black underclass, as a group, are blamed entirely on white racism, and any suggestion that they are contributing to problems with poor choices is met with screams of RACIST!!

I just like to point out the liberals’ hypocrisy.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:23 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Imagine whining and complaining about a holiday that is meant to celebrate the emancipation of enslaved black people, and somehow still believe that you're on the right side of history and that you're an ally to African-Americans and their quest for equality.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:25 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is crazy. It's a Texas holiday and we didn't even close here in the past.

Even though the race card is overdrawn, somehow they keep using it more and more.

Who is driving the narratives?
It’s been a .Texas State Holiday since 1980 & celebrated in Texas since 1866.
State Offices have a Holiday on Juneteenth. Businesses do not close.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The white supremacist have sure self identified on this thread.
There are no white supremacists on this thread - and it is DESPICABLE that you would resort to that slur.

That’s the ridiculous ploy being peddled by leftists, and after a year of anti-white racism, and cries of white supremacist! White supremacist! anytime someone disagrees with the leftist BLM and black oppression narrative, it explains why people are suspicious of the timing about this new holiday.

The. Boy. Who. Cried. Wolf.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Imagine whining and complaining about a holiday that is meant to celebrate the emancipation of enslaved black people, and somehow still believe that you're on the right side of history and that you're an ally to African-Americans and their quest for equality.
Imagine using a holiday meant to celebrate black freedom and using it to commit crime, and then wonder why you have yet to climb the social ladder.

The federal holiday weekend inner city shootouts would make the Taliban blush. And this will be added to the sad trend.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There are no white supremacists on this thread.

That’s the ridiculous ploy being peddled by leftists, and after a year of anti-white racism, and cries of white supremacist! White supremacist! anytime someone disagrees with the leftist BLM and black oppression narrative, it explains why people are suspicious of the timing about this new holiday.

The. Boy. Who. Cried. Wolf.
Whatever makes you feel better, friend.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Whatever makes you feel better, friend.
You liberals are a nasty bunch. Calling decent people white supremacists just because they point out the consequences of a year of anti-white racism.

And anybody who calls a decent American a white supremacist is NOT neutral. You’re a radical leftist, defaulting to their nasty tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies