Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 06:41 AM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I guess it's what happens when undocumented workers are being used as slaves on the farms.
They are also used as slaves (very, very low pay) as housekeepers, nannies, landscapers/groundskeepers, etc. No way are California's limousine liberals going to give that up that cheap labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 07:54 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Quote:
I guess it's what happens when undocumented workers are being used as slaves on the farms.
Oh Look….. farmworkers paid slave wages in Florida

https://ciw-online.org/wp-content/up...sFigures_2.pdf

You fail to understand that farmworkers, immigrants are paid slaves all over the country.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:02 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
First, I'm not in the camp that blames everything on racism. I recognize that it does happen and it does hold some people back, but not everything is about that.
It holds hardly anyone back as far as making it in life. It is insignificant. The free market has taught us that

Quote:
Second, cities are usually so diverse racially and culturally that many true racists wouldn't even live here. I imagine a racist living in a city would be like someone who's afraid of bats living in a bat cave.

Which leads me to the third point - the race here is so diverse it's hard for a person to get discriminated everywhere even if discrimination does exist somewhere. If a black person got shut out from being hired at a white business, well there are plenty of other businesses run by non-racists or minority-owned that would be happy to hire that person if he/she is a good worker.

Agreed
So you agree there is no need for Affirmative Action and the part in the Civil Rights Act which violates the property rights of the business owner and says one cannot discriminate in the private sector?

Racism, preferences, bias are in our social life. Up until 1930, more often than not, the black UE rate was similar to or lower than the white UE. When it was higher, the difference wasn't as big as modern times. Let that sink in.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 06-19-2021 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-19-2021, 09:09 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
The reason they don't climb the ladder? The didn't get the guidance they need because the ones who are least likely to be successful are those raised in a single parent environment. Every study tells us this.

"But if we are honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that too many fathers are also missing. Too many fathers are M.I.A. Too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities. They’re acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our family have suffered because of it.

You and I know this is true everywhere, but nowhere is it more true than in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, half, a number that has doubled – doubled – since we were children. We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime. They’re nine times more likely to drop out of schools, twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents because the father wasn’t in the home. The foundations of our community are weaker because of it."

-Sen. Barack Obama’s speech to Apostolic Church of God in the South Side of Chicago, Father’s Day, June 15, 2008.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:10 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Illegal, not "undocumented."

Old 06-19-2021, 08:13 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The geography is fantastic, too.

But yeah. The people... suck. They're why I left. It certainly wasn't the weather.
California is a very big state. 158,000 sq. miles.

Many areas/locations are certainly friendly enough. The people in my neighborhood are very friendly. Almost all of the residents here greet me when they are walking down the street.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:17 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times

We're talking about CA!! You linked to an article that ISN'T about CA?!!

No crap Sherlock, when you include the red states - GA, MS, KS, TX, LA, MI, etc; it's little wonder the upward mobility is so low. But CA is the exception - that's why the poor wants to come here.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:10 AM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
We're talking about CA!! You linked to an article that ISN'T about CA?!!
Doesn't look like California is doing any better, what with it's 12% of the US population BUT 34% of the US population on public assistance programs.

Maybe hearing it from a fellow Californian will help you to understand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luo40WjBKWI

Old 06-20-2021, 07:30 AM

15,825 posts, read 6,536,770 times
California's growth has been very impressive; second in the world after China.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:44 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
CA has a strong economy, but most of the income is absorbed by mortgage and rent payments.

What matters is the spread between average income and average cost of living. The wider the spread, the wealthier the population can become. I’d like to see a state-by-state comparison for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies