Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Free Markets vs. Nationalism
I will always support the free markets 39 79.59%
I will only support free markets for the good of the country (means to an end) 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 03:50 PM

1,936 posts, read 823,949 times

Advertisements

That is one of the most loaded poll questions I've seen in some time. Today's crony capitalism isn't "free market" economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 03:57 PM

365 posts, read 214,359 times
Please consider adding these 3 choices to the Poll

Old 06-20-2021, 04:29 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
I believe in and advocate for free markets even when the result is not advantageous to me. I believe in doing what is right, not what "works" (ends don't justify means).

Obviously fraud must be dealt with and contracts/agreements upheld. But terms of transactions should not be dictated by people not involved
So even if the free markets destroy this country you would stick by it?

Wow...

Old 06-20-2021, 04:48 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
There never has and never will be such a thing as a 'free market,' all markets are regulated, managed, and controlled in some way. If by 'free market' you mean 'un-manipulated' market, then yes, I would like to have that. However, the entire economy will collapse before we're allowed to have that again.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:37 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Wow...
Except as Taggerung stated there are not and have never been free markets. Government can't help itself but manipulate markets for one special interest or another. Government manipulation is destructive, not free markets.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:43 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
So republicans, I have a question.

Do you support the free markets as a means to an end?

Or are you a free market ideologue?

The subject is this: do you put your nation first or your ideology?

If the free markets turns real-estate unaffordable, makes this country destitute, gives multinational corporations the power to crush small business, and allows an influx of migrants, would you still consider yourself a free market conservative?

Or are the markets so ingrained into your identity that you would rather see your country destroyed than your ideology abandoned.

So which comes first? Country or ideology.

People R politicians put ideology way above country (that is why we have had decades of globalization and destruction).
Whose market? Global or American.. I support the American market.. Not China's.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
So republicans, I have a question.

Do you support the free markets as a means to an end?

Or are you a free market ideologue?

The subject is this: do you put your nation first or your ideology?

If the free markets turns real-estate unaffordable, makes this country destitute, gives multinational corporations the power to crush small business, and allows an influx of migrants, would you still consider yourself a free market conservative?

Or are the markets so ingrained into your identity that you would rather see your country destroyed than your ideology abandoned.

So which comes first? Country or ideology.

People R politicians put ideology way above country (that is why we have had decades of globalization and destruction).
Democrats have made it a free market to anyone who can buy them..Rinos too.

I believe in capitalism over communism but I believe in fair trade and not some party working to run things down our throat like the green new deal.. in time as innovation creates those things that are better , the people will respond. Don't dictate some sort of utopia ideal through a dictatorship . That is just wrong.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:27 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Whose market? Global or American.. I support the American market.. Not China's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Except as Taggerung stated there are not and have never been free markets. Government can't help itself but manipulate markets for one special interest or another. Government manipulation is destructive, not free markets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
There never has and never will be such a thing as a 'free market,' all markets are regulated, managed, and controlled in some way. If by 'free market' you mean 'un-manipulated' market, then yes, I would like to have that. However, the entire economy will collapse before we're allowed to have that again.
Let us not parse reality.

Without the government, the free market can destroy all. Free market is about capital over people. The rulers will be the financers.

And the market is global. Because it is free so it is all about the individual. And if the individual wants to make deals with China over their own country they can. And a society where everyone is invested in the free market, even without government, means a society where people just screw each other over for money.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:47 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:
All facts.

All opinions which are not supported by facts or basic economics.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:50 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,802 times
Quote:

Wow...

It is the government manipulation of the economy and massive government overreach which will destroy the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies