Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

The concern is not that it is the "new normal".

The concern is that we are back to normal in the West.

Read this book on the climate history of California and the West over the past 10,000 years. The last hundred years appear to be much WETTER than the previous 10,000 years.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

Don't read gibberish in USA Today from journalists that have NEVER even taken ONE science class!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 09:11 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That is according to the following:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/7721768002/

If it does become the new normal, what do you think might be the result both in people moving elsewhere, and what other effects do you foresee, either politically or how that would affect U.S. society?

P.S. In related news, at least four states have ordered evacuations in some areas due to fires -- and it is only mid-June! https://weather.com/en-IN/india/envi...es-western-usa
Blame the La Niña and El Niño-Southern Oscillation weather event. Or is it La Nix now?? Either way, these weather events plague the West coast. Too bad science still does not know what causes it. But not knowing will not stop the man-made global warming, climate change crowd from blaming CO2, will it.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
This happens every year. You should also look up the multi-year heat wave in the 1950's. My dad was a kid then and still talks about it, because nobody had air conditioning back then. I know all the young activists don't think weather happened before they were born, but it did, and it could be brutal even when there were far fewer people on the planet.
Your dad's feelings about the heat waves of his youth can't be used as evidence that there are more heat waves, longer heat waves and higher temperatures -- you know that right?

The weather people use the data from the first time they started tracking temperatures...the actual temperatures -- not their recollection of the weather in their youth.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:43 AM

1,600 posts, read 864,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your dad's feelings about the heat waves of his youth can't be used as evidence that there are more heat waves, longer heat waves and higher temperatures -- you know that right?

The weather people use the data from the first time they started tracking temperatures...the actual temperatures -- not their recollection of the weather in their youth.

You don't have to take my Dad's word for it. They started tracking temps in the 1880's-1890's as I recall. The weather data for the 1950's is out there.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/jo...10-05002_1.xml

Old 06-18-2021, 11:44 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Meanwhile in coastal California it is 75 while the inland areas of SoCal are in the 100s. They always have articles like this which half based truths and alternative facts.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If it does become the new normal,...
I cannot be the new normal. It is foreign to you only because you were not alive during the last Inter-Glacial Period to experience it.

I realize this is science so you'll deny it because it doesn't say what you wanna hear, but....

Palaeo data suggest that Greenland must have been largely ice free during Marine Isotope Stage 11 (MIS-11). The globally averaged MIS-11 sea level is estimated to have reached between 6–13 m above that of today.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16008

“Even though the warm Eemian period was a period when the oceans were four to eight meters higher than today, the ice sheet in northwest Greenland was only a few hundred meters lower than the current level, which indicates that the contribution from the Greenland ice sheet was less than half the total sea-level rise during that period,” says Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, Professor at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, and leader of the NEEM-project.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...e-of-the-past/

Should sea levels rise another 3 meters, the only truthful statement you can make is that this Inter-Glacial Period was colder than the other 8 recorded Inter-Glacial Periods.

You might wanna ask yourself why soil core samples drilled in California show a history of wild-fires going back about 30,000 years.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:14 PM

2,034 posts, read 852,699 times
I grew up out West. Every summer sees weeks of triple digits. Death Valley reaches 125-130 degrees and has for decades. Lol

Old 06-18-2021, 12:33 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Climate deniers are always entertaining: "it's always been hot" "this is nothing new" "inter-glacial period blah blah" "sunspot minimum blah blah"

In contrast to the City-Data pseudo-science posters, we have real scientists doing carefully controlled peer reviewed studies that show that in the western U.S. man-made climate change is causing longer, hotter and drier summers. Wildfire seasons now extend into December, something that was never heard of 50 years ago. Heat waves of 110 F have always occurred in the West but 50 years ago when they happened Lake Mead was full, now we have Lake Mead empty.

Who do I listen to: anonymous posters on C-D or real scientists using their real names on studies, standing behind them. I'll stick with science. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:39 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Meanwhile in coastal California it is 75 while the inland areas of SoCal are in the 100s. They always have articles like this which half based truths and alternative facts.
The weather is much cooler in coastal So.
Cal due to ocean influence. The nightly low temperatures are getting warmer though which is a concern
Across the west with some areas feeling more like Palm Springs at night...was 101 degrees at 10 pm last night and a record high 123 degrees during the day.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:52 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Climate deniers are always entertaining: "it's always been hot" "this is nothing new" "inter-glacial period blah blah" "sunspot minimum blah blah"

In contrast to the City-Data pseudo-science posters, we have real scientists doing carefully controlled peer reviewed studies that show that in the western U.S. man-made climate change is causing longer, hotter and drier summers. Wildfire seasons now extend into December, something that was never heard of 50 years ago. Heat waves of 110 F have always occurred in the West but 50 years ago when they happened Lake Mead was full, now we have Lake Mead empty.

Who do I listen to: anonymous posters on C-D or real scientists using their real names on studies, standing behind them. I'll stick with science. Thanks.
Okay, enlighten us, what is earth climate normal temperature and weather supposed to be for California, Arizona, Wisconsin, New York, Florida etc... and when was this pristine era?

I know, sometime in the 1800s, during the Little Ice Age, that is what many of you AGW enthusiasts believe earth normal was, and the planet was supposed to somehow lock those cooler conditions into place and never deviate too much from that, for the rest of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies