Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:23 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

After meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, the White House freezes Ukraine military package that includes lethal weapons.

(In exchange for committing no more cyber attacks which Russia didn't commit in the first place.)

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...weapons-495169

Quote:
The Biden White House has temporarily halted a military aid package to Ukraine that would include lethal weapons, a plan originally made in response to aggressive Russian troop movements along Ukraine’s border this spring.

The aid package would be worth up to $100 million, according to four people familiar with internal deliberations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 12:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
The package was in response to Russia's troop build up near the border.

Russia has been withdrawing troops, thus the need for the package that was for the troop build up.

The package is ready to go if a troop build up happens again.

I could not locate in the article any reference to cyber attacks, maybe I missed it.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:38 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
After meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, the White House freezes Ukraine military package that includes lethal weapons.

(In exchange for committing no more cyber attacks which Russia didn't commit in the first place.)

Wait. Are those the Jevalin anti-tank weapons that Trump was impeached over?

Old 06-18-2021, 12:44 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The package was in response to Russia's troop build up near the border.

Russia has been withdrawing troops, thus the need for the package that was for the troop build up.

The package is ready to go if a troop build up happens again.

I could not locate in the article any reference to cyber attacks, maybe I missed it.
Biden canceled the sanctions on the Russian pipeline, and canceled the sanctions on the Russian oligarchs, and now cancels the weapons to Ukraine. All of these and we got absolutely nothing from Russia in return. Are you seriously not noticing a trend here?

Old 06-18-2021, 12:47 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Poor ol' Mumbles is lodged between a rock and hard place. He knows Putin could smoke him like a two-dollar doobie any day of the week; but on the other hand, Mumbles knows Ukraine has the goods on his family. So between dosages of medication and bedtime stories, Mumbles has to walk a fine line--which is quite stressful, thank you very much, when you can barely walk.

Pick the most backwards, pathetic nation on earth... and I'll be they are still laughing at us.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:05 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Putins puppet? Bidens cancelling sanctions? Will a lefty please correct me?

Old 06-18-2021, 10:37 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

golly. I remember when even thinking about doing such a thing was an impeachable offense

my how times change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Wait. Are those the Jevalin anti-tank weapons that Trump was impeached over?
ah. you remember, too

Old 06-18-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Biden canceled the sanctions on the Russian pipeline, and canceled the sanctions on the Russian oligarchs, and now cancels the weapons to Ukraine. All of these and we got absolutely nothing from Russia in return. Are you seriously not noticing a trend here?
No trend at all.

Pipeline sanctions were BS to begin with, I mean the US has zero to do with it, and it was to the benefit of Germany anyway, since the pipeline was still being built, and it was about to force an awkward situation between the US and Germany, in that the US would have to apply sanctions to all of Germany basically once it started receiving gas, which we know would have never happened.

What sanctions on oligarchs were lifted?

This weapons package was specifically for Russian troop build up only, since there is now no troop build up, there is no need for the package, not a difficult concept to understand. And at that, why in the hell is the heavily in debt US giving $100 million in weapons away? And what, want to raise my taxes because not enough money?

Old 06-18-2021, 11:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No trend at all.

Pipeline sanctions were BS to begin with, I mean the US has zero to do with it, and it was to the benefit of Germany anyway, since the pipeline was still being built, and it was about to force an awkward situation between the US and Germany, in that the US would have to apply sanctions to all of Germany basically once it started receiving gas, which we know would have never happened.
Well other then allowing a NATO country to become energy dependent on Russia you mean? Other then that mountain in the room?
Quote:
What sanctions on oligarchs were lifted?
Im with you, this would be news to me too.

Quote:
This weapons package was specifically for Russian troop build up only, since there is now no troop build up, there is no need for the package, not a difficult concept to understand. And at that, why in the hell is the heavily in debt US giving $100 million in weapons away? And what, want to raise my taxes because not enough money?
Consequence for Russia for their involvement in our elections. Sometimes politics can be petty that way. You need to make some types of behavior hurt. If they want to agree to a treaty of some sort about this? We can talk. But we shouldn't be friends given recent behaviors. I mean really? They used nerve gas in a fellow NATO country to assassinate someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison..._Yulia_Skripal

Thats some insane stuff. They even sent a cop into intensive care in addition to sever other innocent citizens, and killing one.

This should not be ok.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Well other then allowing a NATO country to become energy dependent on Russia you mean? Other then that mountain in the room?
Come on, let's not kid ourselves, the sanctions were in place only due to pressure from Ukraine.

Germany receives this gas anyway, except that it transits through eastern European countries, primarily Ukraine. The Nord 2 will bypass them, thus they will lose the fees they collected from transiting the gas, and the ability to steal it for years like Ukraine did.

NATO is a defense alliance, not a trade alliance, not a "get involved in internal affairs" alliance. Russia is a member of NATO's Partnership for Peace program as well.

Quote:
with you, this would be news to me too.
There were sanctions on companies associated with oligarchs that were lifted under Trump, but that is because the oligarchs divested themselves of their stakes in the companies.

Quote:
Consequence for Russia for their involvement in our elections. Sometimes politics can be petty that way. You need to make some types of behavior hurt. If they want to agree to a treaty of some sort about this? We can talk. But we shouldn't be friends given recent behaviors. I mean really? They used nerve gas in a fellow NATO country to assassinate someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison..._Yulia_Skripal

Thats some insane stuff. They even sent a cop into intensive care in addition to sever other innocent citizens, and killing one.

This should not be ok.
This weapons package has nothing to do with anything you wrote. There are a series of packages, three this year, this specific one was in direct response to the Russian troop build up only, and since there is now no troop build up, it has been paused, but as they say "ready to go" if needed.

And the US has no room to talk regarding affairs in other countries, lol. Harp on Russia over that, yet the US kills how many civilians each year in other countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies