Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 7,595,563 times

Advertisements

The day the slaves were freed, is certainly worth celebrating. Unfortunately the people pushing the celebration were falling all over themselves, trying to decide which day should be celebrated.

Sensible choices can include:

1.) The day the Declaration of Independence was passed and signed by Congress (July 4)
or
2.) The day Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation took effect (Jan. 1)
or
3.) The day the Civil War ended (April 9)
or
4.) The day the 13th amendment was ratified (Dec. 6)

Looks like the Juneteenth-pushers missed every single relevant date, and assigned it instead to the day some Union general, who had other things on his mind than just acting as a messenger, arrived in Galveston, TX and finally told a small group the the war was over, and had been for more than two months.

The Juneteenth-pushers' hearts are in the right place. The end of the Civil War, and/or the emancipation of the slaves, are absolutely worth celebrating. But their calendar skills suck.

Any chance they can have their holiday on a date when something important actually happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 07:31 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Which of the 12 Founding Fathers are "not remembered" or saw Blacks as subhumans ?
Well, people who kept slaves must have seen them as subhumans on some level.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:59 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
That’s not the history of Juneteenth.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:28 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
It's a forced attempt to keep race hustling alive in America.
Meh.

Woketards are going to woketard, but that doesnt mean it isnt a good thing, a fed holiday recognizing the end of slavery!

I, as a conservative/libertarian think it is vastly overdue, and very worthy of a federal holiday as they go. I would figure patriots would agree.

I dont care about the leftist idiots activist BS.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:45 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Juneteenth marks the end of slavery in the South on June 19, 1865. After that date, slavery only continued in the North.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Juneteenth marks the end of slavery in the South on June 19, 1865. After that date, slavery only continued in the North.
Correct. For example, slavery ended in my home state of New Jersey on January 23rd, 1866, when the state ratified the 13th Amendment.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Today is Juneteenth Day, which is a celebration day commemorating the freeing of the slaves by President Abraham Lincoln (R-IL) in 1862. Juneteenth day was first celebrated in Galveston, Texas in 1866, on June 19 of that year.

The recognition of this day as one worthy of affirmation if not outright celebration is certainly worthwhile and I am happy to take the initiative in starting a thread for that purpose here today.

This is not a thread celebrating the "holiday" for Juneteenth, which is excessive and appears to have been an act motivated by racially motivated, politically demagoguery by all those who voted for or signed it into law in Washington.

But it is a heartfelt sense of pleasure that the scourge of slavery was eradicated here in this country and those who were slaves were freed 159 years ago. And that is worthy of a celebration, or a toast, or a new thread on this board, or something along those lines. So, here it is.

Happy Juneteenth Day, everyone!
Oh, so today is Juneteenth aye? Fathers day move aside. After all fathers are an irrelevant group these days. All we Dads ever did was contribute in fertilization. This is a day better set aside for a Black holiday, a gay/lesbian holiday celebrating Obama signing gay/lesbian marriage into law soon to follow. Christmas maybe will be changed for that since Christmas colors are sort of rainbow already. Manufacturers won't have to retool much.

Oh, maybe Easter would work to. After all it's a religious holiday as well and we can't have people actually celebrating Faith. I saw an article on the news site I read over my coffee that said there is a town in Illinois that canceled Independence Day celebration but will have a gay pride and Juneteenth shindig. They cite that it was to late for permits and getting the fireworks approved (though this the July 4th celebration was canceled last year ahead of this for Covid) However a last minute 11th hour effort saw Juneteenth (just made a federal holiday) and gay pride festivities was no problem.

I'm really fed up with all this social/racial bilge. I well and truly am. But regardless I will put out my Old Glory 13 star flag and both my Gadsden flags on July 4th. And honor those brave American colonists (Oh My! "colonists" is a dirty word now me forgots!) who formed an armyfrom nothing and an effective Militia (oh no another dirty word) and went toe to toe with the stronest army and navy in the world so that so many people today have the freedom to deride and demean them. And to burn the flag they fought under and label it "racist and White supremacist."

That is all I have to say...

Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh, so today is Juneteenth aye?

<snip>.
No. Yesterday, June 19th, was Juneteenth. Today is June 20th.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:25 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
The slaves were not freed that day.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The slaves were not freed that day.
I think that was established earlier in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies