Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:38 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
There is no practical way to fix the fatherless problem.

A child is produced, the mother has no means to support that child, Fedgov IS going to do it.
Before the War on Poverty the Feds didn't help and the poverty rate went down from over 30 to under 20 in from 1950-1966

It's the job of the mother and father to raise the child. Single parenthood sky rocketed after the war on poverty. Why stay together and RAISE your kids when government will give you money not too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 08:42 AM

36,524 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Why not raise the minimum wage so that women could be homemakers if they wanted to?

All I hear from Republicans is how women belong in the kitchen yet they believe husbands should provide for their families on $7.25/hour.
Hourly wage has nothing to do with single parent households.
I'm not sure which republicans have said they believe women belong in the kitchen or that minimum wage is meant for sustaining a family.
Do you have any links to the persons who said this. I assume you are referring to political persons?

Old 06-29-2021, 08:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You said name a bigger problem, I thought my answer to be appropriate to the question.
You didn't name a bigger problem. All you did was say it is a stereotype. There is no bigger problem than single parenthood. Lets try this again..

Every single study ever done has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that, as a group, children raised in a single parent family are less educated, make less money, and commit crimes at much higher rates tha those raised by 2 parents. The differences are noticeable.

85% of males in prison grew up without a father

Even in high-crime inner-city neighborhoods, well over 90 percent of children from safe, stable homes do not become delinquents. By contrast only 10 percent of children from unsafe, unstable homes in these neighborhoods avoid crime. (stable home life - 2 parents, 1 working fulltime, and no addiction)

High-crime neighborhoods are characterized by high concentrations of families abandoned by fathers.

State-by-state analysis by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime.

The rate of violent teenage crime corresponds with the number of families abandoned by fathers.

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...age-family-and

Can you refute one of those points?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 06-29-2021 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-29-2021, 09:11 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Sen. Barack Obama’s speech to Apostolic Church of God in the South Side of Chicago, Father’s Day, June 15, 2008.

in part

"But if we are honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that too many fathers are also missing. Too many fathers are M.I.A. Too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities. They’re acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our family have suffered because of it.

You and I know this is true everywhere, but nowhere is it more true than in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, half, a number that has doubled – doubled – since we were children. We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime. They’re nine times more likely to drop out of schools, twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents because the father wasn’t in the home. The foundations of our community are weaker because of it..."

https://frankwarner.typepad.com/free...-obamas-f.html

We know that children raised in a single parent environment are less educated, make more money, and commit crimes at much higher rates than those raised in a 2 parent family. Every study has shown us this is true and the differences are noticeable.
Exactly.

Also, a Reverend, I can't remember his name, was speaking at the George Floyd funeral and alluded to the same , and received a bunch of backlash for it. As do many others that bring this up.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:19 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
yes you have, but what you've posted here was a snippet from a subscription-required site. When I've seen you've post it, my reaction is always "Oh, so there was a Black sociologist that noted the problem existed in the 1930's. It didn't START with Civil Rights Act/LBJ anti-poverty actions."

And I'm familiar with Moynihan's report, and know he was a "classic liberal".

Still, the problem persists - assuming we accept it as a problem. Surely not 100% of single-parent families struggle or even fail the children. But do you agree the majority do? Do you agree that it's a problem?
I am acknowledging that there are alot of problems that come with single parent homes. I've always acknowledged it. I've acknowledged that not having fathers in the homes is a bad thing. I grew up with BOTH parents in the home. I'm living proof that having both parents in the home, being born in marriage, and having a strong nuclear family, it works. I'm the first one to advocate for the nuclear, 2 parent home where both parents are married and all of the children are born in marriage. I talk about Dr. E. Franklin Frazier because he was talking about this in the 1930s. I am trying to prove that problems with fatherless homes and single parent homes in the Black population, it goes way back, before the 1960s. Moynihan may have warned us in the mid 1960s, but Dr. Frazier brought it up in the 1930s. There are other people who keep saying it started with LBJ. I'm saying it goes back much further.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:29 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am acknowledging that there are alot of problems that come with single parent homes. I've always acknowledged it. I've acknowledged that not having fathers in the homes is a bad thing. I grew up with BOTH parents in the home. I'm living proof that having both parents in the home, being born in marriage, and having a strong nuclear family, it works. I'm the first one to advocate for the nuclear, 2 parent home where both parents are married and all of the children are born in marriage. I talk about Dr. E. Franklin Frazier because he was talking about this in the 1930s. I am trying to prove that problems with fatherless homes and single parent homes in the Black population, it goes way back, before the 1960s. Moynihan may have warned us in the mid 1960s, but Dr. Frazier brought it up in the 1930s. There are other people who keep saying it started with LBJ. I'm saying it goes back much further.
The nuclear family isn't a silver bullet however, especially if one or both parents are abusive. This was seen widely after WWII which is why despite growing up in what was supposedly the "perfect" society in the 1950s, many baby boomers rebelled in the 1960s.

The extended family model was common throughout most of human history and still is among many cultures. There are advantages to that as well.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Sen. Barack Obama’s speech to Apostolic Church of God in the South Side of Chicago, Father’s Day, June 15, 2008.

in part

"But if we are honest with ourselves, we’ll admit that too many fathers are also missing. Too many fathers are M.I.A. Too many fathers are AWOL, missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities. They’re acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our family have suffered because of it.

You and I know this is true everywhere, but nowhere is it more true than in the African-American community. We know that more than half of all black children live in single-parent households, half, a number that has doubled – doubled – since we were children. We know the statistics – that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime. They’re nine times more likely to drop out of schools, twenty times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioral problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents because the father wasn’t in the home. The foundations of our community are weaker because of it..."

https://frankwarner.typepad.com/free...-obamas-f.html

We know that children raised in a single parent environment are less educated, make more money, and commit crimes at much higher rates than those raised in a 2 parent family. Every study has shown us this is true and the differences are noticeable.
Must only be a problem when Democrats hold office.
That crap went away under Bush and Trump.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The nuclear family isn't a silver bullet however, especially if one or both parents are abusive. This was seen widely after WWII which is why despite growing up in what was supposedly the "perfect" society in the 1950s, many baby boomers rebelled in the 1960s.

The extended family model was common throughout most of human history and still is among many cultures. There are advantages to that as well.
I'm talking in relative terms. Of course there are dysfunctional families. I'm saying that having both father and mother in the home is the best way to have a family.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:44 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am all for providing free birth control to anyone who wants it!
That's just it.

They don't want it.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That's just it.

They don't want it.
How do you get people to use birth control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies