Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 11:04 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I believe your entire statement is correct.. Support of the RPM act is support of NOT massive fines on companies from the EPA.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/enormou...rmarket-parts/
Exactly. The RPM act protects the motorsports industries from the over reach of the EPA/Government.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:10 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. The RPM act protects the motorsports industries from the over reach of the EPA/Government.
I support that agenda. My question is what is the EPA ACTUALLY saying. Where is a link that says they are really trying to ban all this stuff, and it is their "Top Priority" as was stated in the link provided in post #2?

I just want to make sure I'm not getting worked up over another nothing-burger.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I support that agenda. My question is what is the EPA ACTUALLY saying. Where is a link that says they are really trying to ban all this stuff, and it is their "Top Priority" as was stated in the link provided in post #2?

I just want to make sure I'm not getting worked up over another nothing-burger.
"The RPM Act reverses the EPA’s interpretation that the Clean Air Act prohibits a motor vehicle designed for street use—including a car, truck, or motorcycle—to be converted into a dedicated racecar. This American tradition was unquestioned from 1970 until 2015 when the EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways."

For more details, read through the Clean Air Act.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:36 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
"The RPM Act reverses the EPA’s interpretation that the Clean Air Act prohibits a motor vehicle designed for street use—including a car, truck, or motorcycle—to be converted into a dedicated racecar. This American tradition was unquestioned from 1970 until 2015 when the EPA took the position that converted vehicles must remain emissions-compliant, even though they are no longer driven on public streets or highways." Although the EPA abandoned efforts to make the policy a formal regulation, the agency still maintains the practice of modifying the emission system of a motor vehicle for the purpose of converting it for racing is illegal.

For more details, read through the Clean Air Act.
Fixed that for ya'.

And I dare you to even FIND the portion of the CAA that pertains to this particular application.

ETA: they are against modifications that bypass emissions controls. You can trick your ride out all you want so long as you don't screw with the EC. Remember the whole Volkswagon scandal?

Last edited by gus2; 06-22-2021 at 11:49 AM..

Old 06-22-2021, 11:40 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
States like Florida and Texas are flighting back against federal overreach. The EPA itself may be ruled unconstitutional one day
What if every alphabet agency was eliminated and found to be unconstitutional?
Isn't the J. Edgar Hoover Federal building boarded up in DC? A recent visitor over the weekend, said it was all boarded up.

MTG, has a bill to eliminate the BATF, with one on the horizon to rid BLM, not not Black Life Matters crap, Bureau of Land Management.

I hear the IRS is not a liked agency, either.
We the people are pushing back... We run this show, you know.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:43 AM

9,864 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Just look at all the gas power lawn equipment and other misc gas powered items with the stamp-not approved for use in California. That's basically what's going to wind up being affected.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Fixed that for ya'.

And I dare you to even FIND the portion of the CAA that pertains to this particular application
Fixed what for me ? Are you saying this isn't true ? And that companies aren't getting fined for this ? Please explain.

I quoted this article.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...presentatives/

"the EPA says that Punch It sold devices “that included hardware components and electronic tuning software, known as ‘tunes,’ that hack into and reprogram a motor vehicle’s electronic control module to alter engine performance and enable the removal of filters, catalysts and other critical emissions controls that reduce air pollution.”

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/enormou...rmarket-parts/

This will trickle down to people LS swapping cars, adding turbo's and tuning them to run.

This will effect people tuning offroad vehicles, such as the popular Polaris RZR.

The list goes on. It started with the diesel crowd , which the EPA is heavily cracking down on now, and will continue on if not stopped.

"(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or

(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or

(4) for any manufacturer of a new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine subject to standards prescribed under section 7521 of this title or part C of this subchapter—

(A) to sell or lease any such vehicle or engine unless such manufacturer has complied with (i) the requirements of section 7541(a) and (b) of this title with respect to such vehicle or engine, and unless a label or tag is affixed to such vehicle or engine in accordance with section 7541(c)(3) of this title, or (ii) the corresponding requirements of part C of this subchapter in the case of clean fuel vehicles unless the manufacturer has complied with the corresponding requirements of part C of this subchapter 1"

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...tA-sec7522.htm

I see nothing in there excluding race cars and offroad usage. It does state, engine swapping (conversions) are legal, as long as it is still EPA compliant. So that means no tuning, or changing anything from the way it was sold.

I wonder what this means for people building a motor from the ground up, with an aftermarket injection system ?

Last edited by scarabchuck; 06-22-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Just reading the comments between work meetings. I realize that so far, it is ALL just our interpretations, and nobody has produced a document saying there is a law being pushed to ban car enthusiasts or hot rods, as the title suggests.

What I see so far, if the statements are correct.
- EPA says you can't modify a commercially available motor to bypass legal controls (I support this)
- EPA has no comments about motors made for racing, they seem to be able to do what they want (I support this)
- If you are building a hot-rod, and you don't intent to register it for street use, you can pretty much do what you want (I support this)

I'm still trying to figure out where the EPA is going after my (in my dreams) Hellcat, GT350 or C8 Stingray.

And for what it's worth, we all KNOW that they are not going to ban gas engines in our lifetime. Not that they don't want to, but more to point, it's irrelevant, because people outside the cities will not have the infrastructure to support non-gas motors in our lifetime. It's just not a realistic goal, whether you hate it, or support it, it's not realistic.

I live in the city, I'd drive an electric car to get from point A to point B, if it saved me money or had other benefits. Thus far, the benefit is not there, so I don't. My "fun car" is a Miata. I know, but it's all I can afford right now. Not very efficient, but fun to drive. If/when I can afford my Hellcat, Or Lamborghini, or whatever, I will get one.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out where the EPA is going after my (in my dreams) Hellcat, GT350 or C8 Stingray.
Until you feel the difference in 500hp, compared to 1500hp in the same chassis.... you need to go back inside and think for other people on a computer keyboard.

I told you long ago, they wanted to take all the fun & happiness.....
Remember, Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness?
They have no jurisdiction.

"All citizens must be free to travel throughout the United States uninhibited by statutes, rules, and regulations..." SHAPIRO v. THOMPSON 394 US 618

"The RIGHT of the citizen TO TRAVEL UPON THE PUBLIC HIGHWAYS and to transport his property thereon, either by horse-drawn carriage OR BY AUTOMOBILE, IS NOT A MERE PRIVILEGE which the city may prohibit or permit at will, BUT IS A COMMON RIGHT." THOMPSON v. SMITH, 155 Va 367

"The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." CHICAGO MOTOR COACH v. CHICAGO, 169 NE 221

”If the state does convert your right into a privilege and issue a license and charge a fee for it, you can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity.” SHUTTLESWORTH v. BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, 373 US 262

Last edited by BentBow; 06-22-2021 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Just reading the comments between work meetings. I realize that so far, it is ALL just our interpretations, and nobody has produced a document saying there is a law being pushed to ban car enthusiasts or hot rods, as the title suggests.

What I see so far, if the statements are correct.
- EPA says you can't modify a commercially available motor to bypass legal controls (I support this)
- EPA has no comments about motors made for racing, they seem to be able to do what they want (I support this)
- If you are building a hot-rod, and you don't intent to register it for street use, you can pretty much do what you want (I support this)

And for what it's worth, we all KNOW that they are not going to ban gas engines in our lifetime. Not that they don't want to, but more to point, it's irrelevant, because people outside the cities will not have the infrastructure to support non-gas motors in our lifetime. It's just not a realistic goal, whether you hate it, or support it, it's not realistic.

I live in the city, I'd drive an electric car to get from point A to point B, if it saved me money or had other benefits. Thus far, the benefit is not there, so I don't. My "fun car" is a Miata. I know, but it's all I can afford right now. Not very efficient, but fun to drive. If/when I can afford my Hellcat, Or Lamborghini, or whatever, I will get one.
Your first statement right there effects your other two.

For example, I want to build a Fox body Mustang to compete in a drag radial class. One of the cheapest ways to make power is to throw a turbo on an LS motor. So, I go to the junk yard to find a suitable LS donor...well it would be illegal to throw a turbo, and tune it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies