Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 04:52 PM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Wow - and YOU accused ME of presenting a Strawman?!
Address the point? You seem to make the claim that people who fly a rainbow flag are using it as a replacement for the Stars and Stripes. That was the word you used, right? And if your evidence for said claim is that people exist who fly the rainbow flag and not the Stars and Stripes, then the only conclusion I can draw is that you see it as an either/or proposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 07:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Let us ALL be reminded of the fact that the 'Rainbow' flag represents a chosen sexual preference, not an entire Nation.

The Rainbow Flag should never be a replacement for or be flown above the Stars And Stripes, the symbol of our Nation.

If you want to display a symbol of your sexual preference please put it above your bed and not in public. Although I don't care what you do in your bedroom - I don't want your sexual preferences 'flying' in my face! I don't fly a symbol of my heterosexual preferences in yours!
Sorry, but we’re not going back in the closet, we are entire class of people that exists, and we’re not going to pretend anymore. You can justify your bigotry and hate all you want by rationalizing in your own mind that sexual orientation is a choice. Nobody “chooses” their sexual orientation, and if being gay was a choice, nobody would choose it, primarily because of the severe negative stigma that people like you project upon us.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I guess I am a bad person. I don't believe that anyone's sexual preference should be broadcast or celebrated. There are two genders- male and female. Period. It's nobody's business who one chooses to have sex with. I don't care if you want to have sex with a man, a woman, a cow, a duck or a dead person. Keep it to yourself.
Ya, perhaps.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-04-2021 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-04-2021, 08:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Sorry, but we’re not going back in the closet, we are entire class of people that exists, and we’re not going to pretend anymore. You can justify your bigotry and hate all you want by rationalizing in your own mind that sexual orientation is a choice. Nobody “chooses” their sexual orientation, and if being gay was a choice, nobody would choose it, primarily because of the severe negative stigma that people like you project upon us.
I've never understood the choice argument.

Whenever I encounter, which is rare, a person who thinks gay people choose to be gay, I ask a few questions.

"So sexuality is a choice?" They hesitate but usually answer yes.

" So you chose to be straight? " More hesitation but they answer no.

" So some get to choose and others don't? " Um, ya.

" But only gay people get to choose, and they chose gay? " Uh...ya.

By this point, most know they make no F******* sense.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:22 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No, treat as individuals. Because we are.
Individual's pride month?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:24 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I suspect the words "shoved down my throat" are about to get an airing.

OP, it's simple: Imagine you've been told for years that a central facet of your personality - a facet that doesn't actually hurt anyone else - is wrong, immoral, disgusting and makes you a lesser human being.

Would you perhaps be tempted to join up with others in the same situation and insist on showing those that would demand you be erased from view that no, you're here, you have a right to be here, and you're not going away?
NAMBLA did that too.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:31 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
They want equality. If they want equality then why do they want a month in their honor? Shouldn’t we honor them everyday? As well as all humans? Treat everyone with respect regardless of race, gender, and sexual orientation. Isn’t that equality for all? I said this on a local FB page and was called a homophobe and bigot by the very people who want love an equality. Isn’t name calling anything but that? How is not celebrating Pride month but treating all people with respect homophobic? This is why people thing there is so much hate and bigotry out there when there isn’t. It does exist but if you are claiming hate from people who have a slightly different opinion, then you are causing problems where they don’t exist.
How about you just leave them alone and let them do what they want. And having a month gives people the chance to reflect on where they were not long ago. Its nice to say treat everyone the same but lots of people still do not do that. Having a pride month shows we are not there yet.

And also not assuming that every single gay or lesbian person wants exactly what you seem think all of them want. You say this like they all want exactly the same things. If you did not phrase things that way you probably won't be hassled for your questions.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How about you just leave them alone and let them do what they want. And having a month gives people the chance to reflect on where they were not long ago. Its nice to say treat everyone the same but lots of people still do not do that. Having a pride month shows we are not there yet.

And also not assuming that every single gay or lesbian person wants exactly what you seem think all of them want. You say this like they all want exactly the same things. If you did not phrase things that way you probably won't be hassled for your questions.
Someday they will grow up and stop wanting recognition for something as mundane as sexual preference.

Maybe. Seems quite narcissistic. Maybe they want a medal because they broke the biological template?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:36 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Someday they will grow up and stop wanting recognition for something as mundane as sexual preference.
Maybe as soon as fundamentalist Christian Republicans stop insisting they own the country and demanding that every person must submit to their authority and obey their cultural norms.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Maybe as soon as fundamentalist Christian Republicans stop insisting they own the country and demanding that every person must submit to their authority and obey their cultural norms.
Yeah, that doesn't happen. "Fundamentalist" Christian Republicans (whatever those are), have no idea if you're gay and like to diddle your own sex. You can, and have always been, free to do whatever you want.

No one is stopping anyone from doing any of that.

The issue comes up when they ask for special awards because of what they like to do in their personal lives for fun.

It's quite weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies