Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 05:05 PM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Maybe start by not treating everybody in the LGBTQ community as a homogenous hive-mind.
They refer to themselves as a homogenous hivemind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 05:17 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
Ok here is an issue that angers me. My cousin lives in a progressive town where they have a pride parade....a month of celebration, the village has bent over backwards to help organize it with the person who wanted to have the parade. Now they also want to pride flag raised in to fly at the village hall. The board decided now to. They said only the American flag, and government flags will be flown there. So a lot of the town is calling the board homophobic. After all they did to help get the Pride celebration going? They participated in the celebration and now people are saying they just did it for attention. They say they can’t raise the flag due to first amendments rights. Why can’t the people just be happy with the celebration?
Oh, when it comes to the FLAG people are insane. It's someone's fever dream, a decoration, a bunch of colored strips that nobody-knows-who decides must "represent this sexuality, gender, race, sexual proclivity" which is a really weird thing to want to highlight and combine onto one piece of fabric. I don't take it seriously at all, and think it's ugly

But they want this flag to be equal to the US Flag, or replace it even.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:17 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I would say the majority still find it distasteful. Especially those virtue signaling in support of it on social media.

The LGBT phenomenon is a case study in the objectivity of aesthetics. No amount of social engineering will make it truly palatable to the heterosexual population. However, they can be behaviorally conditioned to act as if it's not distasteful or repulsive to them.
What does aesthetics have to do with it? There's no lack of people and couples whom I find lacking in aesthetics, truth be told. But from where I sit they have every right to seek happiness in who they are and my personal aesthetic preferences is not their problem in the slightest.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:21 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Oh, when it comes to the FLAG people are insane. It's someone's fever dream, a decoration, a bunch of colored strips that nobody-knows-who decides must "represent this sexuality, gender, race, sexual proclivity" which is a really weird thing to want to highlight and combine onto one piece of fabric. I don't take it seriously at all, and think it's ugly
The Confederate flag is quite pretty, yet symbolizes a very ugly timeframe. The rainbow flag isn't a particularly winning design, but it symbolizes inclusivity. I'd rather see the latter.

Quote:
But they want this flag to be equal to the US Flag, or replace it even.
Nobody wants that.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:35 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What does aesthetics have to do with it? There's no lack of people and couples whom I find lacking in aesthetics, truth be told. But from where I sit they have every right to seek happiness in who they are and my personal aesthetic preferences is not their problem in the slightest.
Statements of taste such as "X is repulsive" are aesthetic judgments.

If such judgments are underpinned objectively, then no amount of social engineering will make the following un-repulsive.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:40 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The "months" that are created for various groups are not about getting more or being treated special. They are to raise awareness, draw attention to populations that haven't always been treated well, and expose people to their culture or cause.
I think it's also a disingenuously feckless hand-out from the government that says, "Here we've done something for you. It's not what you asked for, but it's all we felt like giving you. You're welcome. Don't ask for anything more."

The government does that a lot: "It's not what you asked us for, but it's all we felt like giving you."

Old 06-22-2021, 06:41 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I hold to the idea that when a group of people are HIGHLIGHTED for being whatever they are they will always be considered "other" by the majority of people. Poor things that needs tiptoeing around because they can't be like everyone else. Or awful things that will never fit in.
This is why I especially hate the IDENTITY movement.
Exactly. The most positive thing that could happen for these people is to lose the "LGBTQIA+ Community" label. Same with all the other identity labels that groups apply to themselves.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:42 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
They refer to themselves as a homogenous hivemind.
Do they? I haven't found that statement anywhere in their own pages.

But with just a little bit of Googling, I can find quite a bit of discord between different groups, particularly between transsexuals and CIS- (whether gay, lesbian, or bi).

OTOH, when they do claim anything like "community" it's generally in context where they are considered (and often attacked) as a group.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:47 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It has become a less popular viewpoint now that Obergefell v. Hodges secured the rights of same-sex couples to enjoy the same rights as others. No one wants to be associated with failure.

But as late as the early 2000s, the fight against same-sex marriage was an absolute hit among conservative voters. Dozens of state constitutions were amended to make sure that the gays didn't get ideas of equal rights. The same conservatives are now busy passing bathroom laws and whatnot.

I was in California during the Prop 8 debate. I saw what I saw. It wasn't pretty.

Or you can look at the thread about the NFL player who just came out. People are literally suggesting he be expelled.

Nobody wants him to be expelled, although he is just a guy not a star so we all know he literally did this for attention. Nobody cares who's reproductive organs he prefers.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:50 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Usually when someone starts a thread with "..something I want to understand about....", the don't really want to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies