Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 09:55 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
They want equality. If they want equality then why do they want a month in their honor? Shouldn’t we honor them everyday? As well as all humans? Treat everyone with respect regardless of race, gender, and sexual orientation. Isn’t that equality for all? I said this on a local FB page and was called a homophobe and bigot by the very people who want love an equality. Isn’t name calling anything but that? How is not celebrating Pride month but treating all people with respect homophobic? This is why people thing there is so much hate and bigotry out there when there isn’t. It does exist but if you are claiming hate from people who have a slightly different opinion, then you are causing problems where they don’t exist.
Imagine an entire class of people that have been forced to remain invisible in order to just survive; that had to assimilate with heterosexual society just to live, and avoid being ostracized, oppressed, harassed, discriminated against, fired, assaulted, or murdered and were completely disenfranchised from mainstream society.

Sadly, to even call a man homosexual, is still considered one of the worst insults you can call him. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. Many heterosexual people still stubbornly refuse to believe that sexual orientation is just as immutable as ones ethnicity or race. Realize, that there were laws in this country illegalizing our very being. Imagine, even abortion was made legal in 1973, yet sodomy laws remained in effect until 2003, specifically to police sexual behavior, particularly with homosexual men. Despite the Supreme Court striking down sodomy laws, Michigan, Texas, and Louisiana still enforce them. Realize, to get convicted of sodomy, what would happen is, plain clothes police officers would simply approach a suspected gay man and invite him over to his house, that was it, this would get you arrested.

One year ago, on June 15, 2020 it was finally made illegal to fire somebody from their job for being homosexual. To this day, it is still legal to discriminate against homosexuals in housing, credit, and public accommodations in many states. It is still illegal in many school systems for teachers to teach anything positive about being gay. The assumption is, the ignorant belief that sexual orientation can be learned, thus could indoctrinate children, which is ridiculous.

Pride exist because traditionally, homosexual people have been treated so badly, stripped of their pride and dignity, and made to feel like outcasts. To this day, most gay people still prefer to keep their orientation private, in fear of discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 10:02 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Maybe start by not treating everybody in the LGBTQ community as a homogenous hive-mind.
This! Thank you!

Old 06-26-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
To do that, we should first separate them into LGB and then a new group for TQ

No, treat as individuals. Because we are.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I suspect the words "shoved down my throat" are about to get an airing.

OP, it's simple: Imagine you've been told for years that a central facet of your personality - a facet that doesn't actually hurt anyone else - is wrong, immoral, disgusting and makes you a lesser human being.

Would you perhaps be tempted to join up with others in the same situation and insist on showing those that would demand you be erased from view that no, you're here, you have a right to be here, and you're not going away?

This, too. Thank you Dane.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:20 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,123 times
Exclamation German-Americans Only Get A Day Of Recognition

I am First-Generation German-American and could argue that German-Americans contributed as much, if not more, as any other group in making the USA the great Nation it is today.

Currently German-Americans make up the largest ancestry group within the United States, accounting for roughly 49 million people - approximately 17% of the population of the US - more than triple that of the LGBTQ community (4.5%). Yet there is no German month, no German-American flag, no month-long pro-German-American campaigns on every media program. For those of you who think it is October - it is not - there is not one listed by The Library of Congress (National observances and commemorative months). October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month. There is only a German-American Day that President Reagan proclaimed in 1987 (see Proclamation 5719).

There is also an Irish-American Month, a Jewish-American Month, an African-American Month, and a Hispanic-American Month. Should I feel short-changed?

Old 06-27-2021, 07:36 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Should I feel short-changed?
I mean, did you ever get told you were going to hell just because you were German ?(German, not Nazi, LOL)

Old 06-27-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I mean, did you ever get told you were going to hell just because you were German?
As a matter of fact my entire family was.

Hatred was still so great for Germans in the late 1940s and early 1950s that my German-born parents had to send my brother back to Germany to live with his grandparents for several years, despite the fact that my father, born in Germany, enlisted with the US Army and went back to fight Nazism in his birth country! And I still suffered in the 1960s as well - being called a Nazi, Heinie, Kraut, etc. which got me into a lot of fights at school and in the streets. Our home even had swastikas chalked on our sidewalk in summer and marked in the snow in winter.

We eventually moved from NYC to South Florida in the late 1960s. Funny thing is: then I had to deal with being chastised as a 'Yankee' from wanna-be Confederates, the ones flying the Stars and Bars on their pick-up trucks!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 06-27-2021 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-27-2021, 09:17 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I guess I am a bad person. I don't believe that anyone's sexual preference should be broadcast or celebrated. There are two genders- male and female. Period. It's nobody's business who one chooses to have sex with. I don't care if you want to have sex with a man, a woman, a cow, a duck or a dead person. Keep it to yourself.
So - spring break is off? No engagement parties? Weddings are nothing but a celebration of a relationship, they must be a thorn in your side. Romantic comedies off the air? Romeo & Juliet no longer performed?

Or do you somehow imagine that same-sex couples are different, only in it for sex - as in, carnal gratification? Because then you may benefit from having your horizons widened just a bit.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:20 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
(German, not Nazi, LOL)
Please. Every German knows that the "Nazi" line is going to be flung in their face about 5 seconds into the disagreement. It's the go-to insult.

Old 06-27-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Please. Every German knows that the "Nazi" line is going to be flung in their face about 5 seconds into the disagreement. It's the go-to insult.
"Please" ???

When I was a child I not only had to endure spoken insults but constant physical bullying and harassment... outright hatred! And regardless whether that hatred is based on sex, race, or culture - hatred is taught to children out of ignorance by their family and mentors, and should never be tolerated.

But that is EXACTLY what our current so-called 'Leaders' are doing: dividing us and getting us to hate each other so that they can divert attention from their evil intent to convert the US from a government 'For and By The People' to a totalitarian regime were everyone's individuality is replaced by conformity to the will of the greedy, power-hungry, self-appointed Elites who don't give a genuine care about LGBTQ, Blacks, the poor, or anyone but themselves!

Learn from history!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies