Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 03:00 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

I don't know, perhaps the intention was good, but to me it is just oft-putting. It just screams of being condescending and woke.

Is this how they really want to honor Juneteenth?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unit...181602369.html

Quote:
United Airlines celebrated Juneteenth with a special flight from Houston to Chicago with an all-Black crew from the flight attendants and pilots to the gate agents, and more.

The flight, UA1258, took off from Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport at 10:30 a.m. and flew to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, commemorating the holiday and celebrating the launch of United's Black Business Resource Group, the airline shared with Travel + Leisure.

"As a global airline driven by our purpose and values, we're in the business of bringing people together," Jessica Kimbrough, United's chief diversity, equity, and inclusion officer, told T+L. "This flight represents our commitment to doing our part to create a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and world."

To celebrate the momentous flight, United covered the gate in balloons and waved the plane off with a water cannon salute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 03:38 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,761,327 times
The idea behind this was pretty simple: The airline used Juneteenth as a way to to expand awareness of employment opportunities in the airline industry, which is, like many big industries in the U.S. , pretty white. Hence, the all-black crew. And the all-black crew's flight on Juneteenth was planned, I'd gather, specifically because UA knew it would get a big audience on that date. If it helps to draw in more black pilots, mechanics, technicians, engineers, et al, I'm all for it, and don't find it condescending at all.

"United crewed the flight with all Black employees and the airline hopes it will inspire others to join the aviation industry...The airline hoping the Juneteenth celebration will inspire future aviators and airline professionals... This Juneteenth flight comes just two months after United Airlines pledged to diversify its pipeline of pilots, with a goal of training thousands of people of color by 2030."

https://abc7chicago.com/united-airli...ghts/10811541/

"Studies show that only 2.47% of United States aircraft pilots and flight engineers are Black, according to Data USA.

“It is very difficult being a Black person, a Black woman, in the aviation industry,” [United pilot Deon ]Byrne said. “There’s not a lot of encouragement, and there’s absolutely mentorship for the future generation, but when I came in, it was very difficult to find the funding, the resources, and the connections to get started in the industry.”

After 25 years of working in the aviation industry, Byrne said Saturday was the first time she had ever flown with an all-Black staff."

https://www.blackenterprise.com/unit...on-juneteenth/

Old 06-22-2021, 03:41 PM

6,705 posts, read 6,707,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The idea behind this was pretty simple: The airline used Juneteenth as a way to to expand awareness of employment opportunities in the airline industry, which is, like many big industries in the U.S. , pretty white. Hence, the all-black crew. And the all-black crew's flight on Juneteenth was planned, I'd gather, specifically because UA knew it would get a big audience on that date. If it helps to draw in more black pilots, mechanics, technicians, engineers, et al, I'm all for it, and don't find it condescending at all.
Thanks, good explanation. It does seem like a nice gesture. What I don't get is how come 2.5% of airline pilots are African-American when something like 15% of Air Force pilots are.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:47 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe made history with an all-female (no woke needed) flight crew back in 2016.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:48 PM

1,065 posts, read 470,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Meanwhile, Zimbabwe made history with an all-female (no woke needed) flight crew back in 2016.
Were that flight an all-black flight as well?

Old 06-22-2021, 03:58 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Were that flight an all-black flight as well?
https://blackmainstreet.net/first-al...makes-history/

Old 06-22-2021, 04:02 PM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
you'd figure they would get the day off, not be forced to work for some symbolic gesture.

Old 06-22-2021, 04:48 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Of course United is going to promote the Biden admin. narrative. Like all airlines its so dependent on the federal govt for its very existance it might was well be a branch of it

Old 06-22-2021, 04:51 PM

18,425 posts, read 8,256,472 times
well that's silly....what's next....Miss Black America pageants

Old 06-22-2021, 04:55 PM

18,715 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know, perhaps the intention was good, but to me it is just oft-putting. It just screams of being condescending and woke.
I can just see the internal recruiting ads for the airline to get a crew for this flight. "Come and celebrate with us! But you have to be black. That's the most important thing to us."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies