Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:04 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
I wonder if these congressmen are running for reelection I bet they wont dare propose this in a bill!
By running do you mean represents a district which is not safer than safe unless an AOC flanks him during the primary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2021, 09:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
That is stupid. I was raised catholic. I don't receive communion when I occasionally attend mass. What is the big deal? If POTUS wants to receive it, follow the rules.
He wants the photo op. He wants to be seen. They say he's "devout", so they want to push that image.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:06 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It has nothing to do with supporting the pope. I only mentioned the pope to show that they are not following their own church and that they are renegades intent on meddling in politics which is not allowed if they want to remain tax exempt.
Since when is a religious ceremony "political"?

Old 06-23-2021, 09:06 AM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Is there no low to which Democrats won't sink?

no

Old 06-23-2021, 09:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
It has nothing to do with supporting the pope. I only mentioned the pope to show that they are not following their own church and that they are renegades intent on meddling in politics which is not allowed if they want to remain tax exempt.
This isn't political. This is between the Catholic Church and Biden, and other Catholics who diverge from whatever the new policy says.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:31 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
A Threat is not a Policy that becomes a Movement of a Party here. It is some views to even proposals to consider..... that could spiral to much more and a Supreme Court declaration.

Still, There are Religious Organizations or under Churches Mega-style and International new ones HUGELY WEALTHY and some are just much older long established ones. Still the Catholic Church has soooooo many holdings and land and buildings totally TAX Free not used merely for Religious activities.

Virtually all they hold is exempt. To come after some of this wealth..... has some want a warning and scare that there are LIMITS to bringing it into a Political Agenda that they might want to reconsider....

That is the message. To use a Moral standing as a Precedence to Segregation and Prevention of a Political point of view that is Secular yet a Law of the Land as a reason to CANCEL YOU.

A lot of can of worms therefore could be opened to something that was a FREEDOM Fully enjoyed by these Religious Organizations FULLY. So the warning that their Freedom especially in $$$ matters could be a Freedom they could loose if they make this into its own kind of Deep State National policy more then a moral standing.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:34 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It would be unconstitutional as the equivalent of a bill of attainder.
And who better to know what is against the Constitution then Congress itself.......

All this censoring going on and so many seem so unconcerned about this. Isn't this what China does ? We used to be so against it and yet here we are...censoring and "cancelling" those that don't agree.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:49 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting ……democrats weaponizing the IRS against Conservatives

House Dem Floats Stripping Catholic Church of Tax-Exempt Status If They Deny Biden Communion

Rep. Jared Huffman (D‑CA) accused the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) of politically weaponizing religion by voting to draft a document that could result in a rebuke of pro-abortion Catholic politicians and suggested punishing them by stripping the Catholic Church of its tax-exempt status.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/house...nied-communion
Whatever happened to the idea of separation of church and state?

So now the Democrats are trying to tell churches what they can and cannot do regarding their members?

Just shaking my head at the latest attempt at control. (And, btw, I am mostly pro-choice, I do not like the Catholic Church, and I don't think any religious institution should have tax exempt status.)

P.S. Reading the latest mainstream news is now as entertaining in a perverse kind of way as reading The National Enquirer headlines used to be. It seems that hardly a day goes by that I don't find myself shaking my head and wondering if I am really reading what is before my eyes.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-23-2021 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-23-2021, 09:51 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
While I do think the tax exemption for churches should go away. This form of retribution is unacceptable.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:00 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Tempest in a teapot. The House Democrats will not make any moves toward removing the Church's nonprofit designation, and US Catholics will continue to go to communion, pro-choice or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies