Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, I am being a snob here, but I think most Walmart shoppers are like sheep and they have become used to doing what other people tell them to do that they might have lost the ability to think for themselves (compared to most of those who don't shop at Walmart). They have become so used to wearing masks, that it might be difficult for them to adjust to a world where masks are no longer necessary. The typical Walmart shopper might also not follow objective medical news as much as other people might.

AND/OR they just might like the feeling of security wearing a mask might give to them.
I'm willing to be snobby about Walmart shoppers right along with you (although I admit to being a Walmart shopper myself, so there's that . . . ) but my experience during COVID is they were the most aggressively resistant to properly wearing masks of any place I visited during mandatory mask COVID. You'd find them enter the store wearing their mask properly, pass the armed guard enforcing mask wearing, and once in the store would either put it under their chin or dangle the mask off one ear.

My Walmart now is virtually mask free, save a few families here and there who are all masked up.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
It's a mixed bag in every store here. Some people still masking others not. I have noticed that around here it seems that more of the people wearing masks are older.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:35 AM

899 posts, read 540,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Could simply be cultural. I don't know that any other countries view masks as an infringement on freedom like some here do.

Heck, many Asian countries have been wearing masks for as long as I can remember.

It's a mixed bag where I'm at. Very few people wear masks but I don't see a frontrunner for gender, ethnicity, age, etc.

The mask thing is fine, if you want to wear one, go for it. What I do find funny are the plexiglass things between cashiers and the public. Time to stop the charades here.
I spent a lot of time travelling through Asia throughout the decades and rarely saw masks. The tradition was if you were sick you wore a mask, not to ward off sickness.

It is interesting to see who's still wearing masks and who isn't. In my neck of the woods, a blue but not dogmatic county in Maryland, store and supermarket workers have largely stopped wearing masks except for F&B places, the majority of customers in stores are still wearing masks (but not in F&B places, ironically). Older people are less likely to wear masks. On the whole, mask wearing is slowly declining.

The most ideological adherents to mask wearing do seem to be a certain younger demographics, which I find weird given the data shows younger people are barely affected by COVID and with extremely few new daily COVID cases and now even days without any COVID deaths in the entire state. But I do suspect it's political. A certain demographic has adopted wearing the mask as part of their mantra of the morally good and responsible thing to do, which bears no relationship to the reality on the ground. The closer I am to more urban and progressive neighborhoods, the more mask wearing I see. It's quite interesting.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:38 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Nah.

Waikiki always had a huge amount of the Asian visitors wearing masks, and it was preventative, not because they are sick.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-24-2021, 07:42 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Usually agree, but not here. The old are just SCARED. Their mortality nags at them worse than a henpecking wife of 50 years. Many older people also still think the MEDIA is "News". It's not, it's just Democrat Propaganda.

The people that discarded their masks did so because businesses and agencies stopped MANDATING them for entrance. It's that simple.
Yes, we usually agree, but on this question you are sadly unable to see past the partisan sewage that has flooded TOO MANY public policy discussions.

Yes, yours is a simple knee-jerk response. But there is no left-right, Dem-Rep on this question. You're not advocating what's best for you and others. You're advocating for your political "team". You're doing what you're told.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:42 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
The sister of a co-worker of mine just died of Covid. She lived in Missouri some seven hours from where I live. He is there to bury her today.

I don't know how she caught it nor why it affected her so seriously but she's dead. It could be that new variant, I suppose. My co-worker is older, like I am, so I assume she was in the same age range but I don't know if she was particularly compromised otherwise.

The point is anyone who wants to wear mask, I respect. They are certainly responsible for their own well being. If they ask me to wear one in their presence I will comply. The times are still sketchy for a lot of people.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:44 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I'm from Missouri. As far as I've seen, mask wearing has been dropped, with the usual caveat "If you've been vaccinated, you're no longer required to wear a mask." I'm vaccinated. I no longer wear a mask, except at work, where it's required.

What I've noticed is: Employees of anywhere still seem to be required to wear a mask. We are. Store employees seem to be. Wait staff seem to be.

A week or so ago, we drove to NOLA from St. Louis area. You drive through a lot of Mississippi. When we'd stop at gas stations and convenience marts, THEY required masks before entering.

In NOLA, we took Ubers from time to time. THEY required customers to wear masks. I don't remember any of the restaurants or bars requiring them though. Out and about on the streets, some people wore them, some did not.

We even went to a Walmart in NOLA, and some people wore masks, some did not. But all the employees did.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
I spent a lot of time travelling through Asia throughout the decades and rarely saw masks. The tradition was if you were sick you wore a mask, not to ward off sickness.

It is interesting to see who's still wearing masks and who isn't. In my neck of the woods, a blue but not dogmatic county in Maryland, store and supermarket workers have largely stopped wearing masks except for F&B places, the majority of customers in stores are still wearing masks (but not in F&B places, ironically). Older people are less likely to wear masks. On the whole, mask wearing is slowly declining.

The most ideological adherents to mask wearing do seem to be a certain younger demographics, which I find weird given the data shows younger people are barely affected by COVID and with extremely few new daily COVID cases and now even days without any COVID deaths in the entire state. But I do suspect it's political. A certain demographic has adopted wearing the mask as part of their mantra of the morally good and responsible thing to do, which bears no relationship to the reality on the ground. The closer I am to more urban and progressive neighborhoods, the more mask wearing I see. It's quite interesting.
Asians also wear masks because of pollution.

And I would suggest that 'Asian countries' encompasses a wide variety of countries and what is true in one may not be in many others.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:54 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
I just get a kick out of people driving with their mask on. Nobody else in vehicle, windows up. I guess it's a false sense of saving themselves -from themselves.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:58 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I just get a kick out of people driving with their mask on. Nobody else in vehicle, windows up. I guess it's a false sense of saving themselves -from themselves.

It's simple mask hygiene. Once you take a mask off, you shouldn't put it back on until it's been washed. So if you're making multiple stops, it makes sense to wear the mask in between, unless you want to swap out masks at every errand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies