Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 09:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Why is it baffling? This was common practice around the world. Everyone throughout various time in history has done atrocious stuff. Thankfully, we live in a world today where we have become more civilized and most countries know better. Even the natives themselves did horrible things to each other. This is why nobody owes anything to anyone for past atrocities. It was less civilized times. We should al be thankful that we live today instead of past millennia.
I'm a student of history.

It's baffling to me, the practices that we had in 1800's and first half of 1900's that we thought were HELPING people. Taking children away from mothers at birth because they were poor and giving them to wealthy childless families, sticking people in the poor houses for their lives because they were in debt, putting insane people in ice baths, whipping children with switches, shaming people of mixed race or who come from unwed mothers, warehousing children born with disabilities, using orphans for dangerous jobs like the Pony Express because no one would care if they died, on and on.

It's absolutely baffling to me, that people in general couldn't see how cruel these practices were, and thought these were a positive. The right way to go about things.

So that begs the question. What will WE be judged for, in 100 years? What will people shake their heads and say "how could they"? I'm thinking it's the way we treat agricultural animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
I get your point, but you are looking at it through today’s lense. We may very well be judged by future generations who will have a different lense. We all live in our own time within our reality.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
I get your point, but you are looking at it through today’s lense. We may very well be judged by future generations who will have a different lense. We all live in our own time within our reality.
We will be judged by future generations, who will be more enlightened and knowledgable than we are.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:04 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No BruSan the government didn't allow this atrocity, they initiated it.
That distinction belongs to a figure that many Canadians hold in much higher regard: John A. Macdonald. Indeed, Macdonald, as Canada's founding prime minister, played the instrumental role of initiating, supporting, and defending the residential school system in the late 19th century.

https://www.facinghistory.org/stolen.../role-churches
This. They used the church as contractors for their policy. And probably got more than a complaint or question they did nothing about/ignored.

What's stunning the last school was closed in the 1990s. the peak use occured around or in the 1950s.

If any government official or school staff is still alive they need to be questioned intensely in a detective's office. If they have to be wheeled in with an o2 tank in tow so bit it.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:28 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
That is some of what typically happens to conquered people. Decades later, after the perpetrators are long dead and the profits are laundered and spent, the remorse and hand wringing can begin.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:00 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
That is some of what typically happens to conquered people. Decades later, after the perpetrators are long dead and the profits are laundered and spent, the remorse and hand wringing can begin.
The last residential school closed in the 1990's. I had a nun as a teacher in the 1960s who taught in a residential school. We heard nothing of the realities at the time, and it was decades later that I found out the horrors those children went through. I know some of the survivors.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:54 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
There is a tendency to leap to the conclusion that these kids were "murdered" when we don't know any of that yet. Their culture was murdered. Some people who went through the Indian boarding school experience say they benefited from it while others had one horrific experience after another. The practice of forcibly removing these kids to boarding schools was common and certainly awful by our standards today. The Indian Schools continued well into my lifetime. Back in the day the living conditions were poor, kids had poor immune systems, and TB was a huge killer that stalked the schools. We should have known that (and maybe we did). There was a different perspective back then as displayed in an 1899 image from Harpers magazine:

Old 07-12-2021, 10:38 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
I've heard a lot of criticism of the residential schools, probably justified. Can anyone gauge the quality of parenting on the reserves?

Old 07-12-2021, 12:12 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Why is it baffling? This was common practice around the world. Everyone throughout various time in history has done atrocious stuff. Thankfully, we live in a world today where we have become more civilized and most countries know better. Even the natives themselves did horrible things to each other. This is why nobody owes anything to anyone for past atrocities. It was less civilized times. We should al be thankful that we live today instead of past millennia.
yet, we still continue committing atrocities abroad.
or is that ok because it's not happening to americans?

Old 07-12-2021, 12:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm not sure of that. I went to a Catholic school, and one of the nuns actually had taught at one of those residential schools some 14 years earlier. We heard nothing of the horrors, and we had classmates whose parents were native or had Metis heritage. We truly didn't know, and there was also an Anglican residential school not far away.

I am so very sickened by this the more I learn.
The actual policy that premise was horrific, taking kids from their families, give them to white families. We did the same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies