Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 12:13 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Sorry, but some people don't want to struggle to survive, paying bills just on time, working hours on end, filing endless paper work, and being told to 'pull themselves up by the bootstraps'.

Hard work is not smart work, and there is too much bureaucracy to owning a car, a credit card, or a steady income (which ironically are forced upon people who don't want them).

People here say those who don't want to work miserable jobs with miserable people should suffer 'poverty' but I don't agree.

Just because you want to make your life miserable doesn't mean they have to.
What is the alternative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 12:16 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Sorry, but some people don't want to struggle to survive, paying bills just on time, working hours on end, filing endless paper work, and being told to 'pull themselves up by the bootstraps'.

Darn it, I don't want to clean my cats litter box today. It's messy. Somebody better get over here and do it.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:19 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
This post is too funny....

...in a pathetic sort of way

Old 06-26-2021, 12:43 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
HogWash...............................

Hard work results in a decent living.
Back in the days a parent would decide the future of the child based on his physical and mental capacity.

A child of great stature would plow the field.
A child of smaller stature would tend to cleaning and feeding the farm animals.
A child of small stature and a great mind ( able to read ) would tend the books and taxes.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:48 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
You have 2 choices:

1. Work hard, or

2. Get left behind.

Which choice will you make?

Old 06-26-2021, 12:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Good. Then they can have the barest of bare bones existence and given just enough for survival so that they don't have to struggle in the least since they're unwilling to put in the effort to do or be more to the best of their individual abilities.

Barracks with row after row of bunks and shared open showers. Meals taken at a mess hall with no substitutions save for those who have a diagnosed medical need for different foodstuffs. Shared entertainment only such as a radio and/or t.v. in public areas and free access to reading material. Internet only available in computer labs--just like back in the 90s and early aughts for many people. Perhaps there could be some musical instruments to use free of charge, too, just to expand the available entertainment and enrichment options in these public barracks.

Don't want a car and/or a credit card? Don't get them--no one's forcing anyone to purchase wheels and use revolving credit.

It's not my place to tell someone to "pull themselves up by the bootstraps," but it *is* my place to not wish for others to stick their hands in my pockets to live the same or better lifestyle that I live without lifting a finger to earn it for themselves.

This used to be understood as a matter of course by people of every political stripe, but for certain members of the fringe (ahem), this seems to have become a rallying cry of "I deserve XYZ without having done anything to have earned XYZ."

It's one thing to not be able to support oneself (I've no problem giving people like that a hand up); it's quite another to support someone who's unwilling to do so.
No no no no no no.

People shouldn't be turned to cattle because they don't want to live depressing lives at some copy-paste office building, paying hundreds of expenses, driving to work every morning, and having nothing but endless struggle.

People should be able to live in their own homes, appreciate nature, beauty, gardening. Enjoy healthy food, etc. without worrying about long over due payments, vehicle registration, or the electric bill.

Things like cars and CC are forced upon people who want to live a normal life. People should be able to live a normal life without being condemned to a life time of misery.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:56 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What is the alternative?
Simple. Don't make a complicated bureaucracy of taxes, work contracts, roads, traffic, and other such things that make life a hassle.

I don't want to deal with them and be miserable. People should enjoy art and beauty and focus on themselves rather than keep up with the competitive work environment and remember when all the abstract payments are due.

The solution is not to send people who don't want to suffer into poverty, it is to restructure society and our values.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:37 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
If one doesn't work they won't be able to buy boots with straps to pull themselves up with.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:44 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:

Hard work is not smart work, and there is too much bureaucracy to owning a car, a credit card, or a steady income (which ironically are forced upon people who don't want them).

People here say those who don't want to work miserable jobs with miserable people should suffer 'poverty' but I don't agree.

Just because you want to make your life miserable doesn't mean they have to.
You seem to be posting an argument without a solution. What should be done to provide a "living" for those who don't work, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Being tired from hard work sure isn't smart work when you're not paid enough to pay your bills. That is why a raise in minimum wage is needed. People always vote to allow it whenever asked to vote on it.
And yet, in 90 years raising the minimum wage has never had the long term effect of lifting minimum wage earners out of poverty. Not once. Those who vote to raise minimum wage lack a basic understanding of economics.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:46 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
No no no no no no.

People shouldn't be turned to cattle because they don't want to live depressing lives at some copy-paste office building, paying hundreds of expenses, driving to work every morning, and having nothing but endless struggle.

People should be able to live in their own homes, appreciate nature, beauty, gardening. Enjoy healthy food, etc. without worrying about long over due payments, vehicle registration, or the electric bill.

Things like cars and CC are forced upon people who want to live a normal life. People should be able to live a normal life without being condemned to a life time of misery.
I've never had a car or a credit card forced on me. Nor have I had an issue with actually earning a decent living versus having one given to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies