Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 02:57 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
I can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater.. They simply aren't worth the trip to the theater. Smut and violence and degradation.
Ah like when Peter Rabbit stuck out his peter. That was really nasty. I get that your name is Peter but like it's supposed to be a kids movie dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
And just poor quality entertainment, generally.

Yay! Another superhero movie!
Yay! Another Fast & Furious movie!
Yay! Another crappy Star Wars movie to further destroy the franchise!
Yay! Another remake or reboot or new timeline or whatever for some '80s story!

It's pathetic.

IMO, it confirms my long standing opinion that for decades now, children have been taught what to think, not how to think. There's no creativity anymore. The last few decades of kids are programmed/programmable robots. It was inevitable that they would grow up and enter these industries.
I don't entirely disagree. A lot of the movies aren't what they used to be to me but once in a while I find a gem. The Jumanji remake was good. I liked it better than the original (as much as I loved Robin Willams growing up the old movie never interested me) but I can't think of any other recent remakes that would interest me. Freaky Friday was probably the last one before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because it is largely no longer entertainment but anti White, overly Pro Gay, overly Pro Women, overly Pro Black forced MESSAGE, NARRATIVE and Far Left Agenda. In other words, they s*ck, are no fun and ridiculous.
Who was going on about being black? I don't recall Toothless even being able to talk.
Ah you're talking about Kevin Hart right? I don't even remember what he said but it was a joke that maybe took up like what 2 minutes of the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Why would I go to a theater? It costs on average 13.50 for a ticket @ AMC theaters. If two of you go it is 27 bucks just to walk in the door. Another 27 bucks for a "Snack combo" (two drinks, one bucket of popcorn and two boxes of candy). So at minimum, you are going to spend 54 dollars to watch a movie.

If I watch at home on my 70" TV it is going to cost at most 5 bucks for the movie rental regardless of how many people are watching. If I wish to indulge in some snacks it might cost another 5 bucks at most.

At home, I can have an adult beverage if I desire. If I need to use the restroom the movie can be paused until I am finished. I am not disturbed by strangers talking during the movie. I don't have to get dressed up for an in-home movie. If I get tired of watching the movie I can pause it until another day. Finally; if the movie is really bad I can just stop watching.

I have not been to a theater in decades and have no intention of starting. It just doesn't make much sense to me. Am I "Anti-Theater"? No. I just don't use their services.

It really is expensive. I only went recently because they had 7 dollar Tuesdays and even then it was only a movie I really wanted to see. I remember when regular price was 6 dollars and then if you waited a while you could see it in the discount theatre for 1 or 2 bucks. It is hard to beat movie theatre popcorn but it's not worth it generally. We usually just sneak candy in but it would be difficult to sneak a drink in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Took the CA grandkids to see Cruella last weekend, actually entertaining but not worth the $60 for the 3 of us for tickets and snacks.

However, I was happy to pay it to get them out of their house, masks off, and back to the real world. It's been a tough 18 months for them.

I have a relative that saw that as well. It personally didn't interest me. Why would I want to see her backstory? No Glenn Close and Hugh Laurie= I don't want it.
But I kinda understand the appeal I guess, it's just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 03:18 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I don't go to theatres because I don't support Hollywood and the leftist trash that comes from there.
I don't go because my knees always ache after sitting so long, lol. Haven't seen a movie in a theater since Avatar. They give me headaches anyway, playing all those previews so dang loud. And last but not least, there is NOTHING fit to see that warrants me putting on a bra and leaving my house.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:31 PM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
So what does the theater offer that people can't experience at home?
An immersive experience, with a huge screen and amazing sound system. A communal experience, as you share the laughter, screams, tension, and joy with your fellow movie-goers. Vastly superior popcorn, at a vastly inflated price.

I enjoy the movie theater experience, regardless of the compelling reasons to watch a movie in your own home. I'd enjoy it more if there were more movies that I wanted to see, but every now and then they'll put one out that I'm interested in, and I'll go see it. I haven't been to a theater since the coronavirus hit. Will I go back? Probably. But I don't know when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies